Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
The capital doesn't change until you kill Maliketh the Black Blade. The sewers are still accessible after the capital is covered in ash, you just have to jump down that sewer manhole and navigate the crossbeams (there's a talisman on one of them I think). You just can't climb back out like you used to, only warp out.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Hora Loux is the last boss that gives a shit about bleeding and is not resistant to slash damage. And a few of the main bosses prior are basically ae rape fests with lots of resistances to bleed/slash (melenia being a notable exception), so you are in for some fun for sure. What daggers are you using for your play?

Reduvia and an Occult Great Knife. High base dmg and high bleeding, would use 2 reduvias but they for some reason don't have a way to duplicate weapons without trading/cheats/NG+ so have to do with the next best thing. Does let me use Bloodhound step on fights where I can't get uses out of Reduvia's ranged attack though. I also have a Bloodstained Knife with cold for cold proc/trash mobs, and I also tried to use the Scorpion Stinger for Scarlet Rot procs but that status is absolute ass to apply since it doesn't benefit from arcane, takes way too long to stick, feels like any dmg I get from the proc is lost from not using a better dagger to hit with instead. Fire Giant is the last boss I bothered getting it to proc since I figured the %hp would make it very worth it, but dropped it since.

I've done a few bosses with no bleeding already(underground mhog clone thing, dual gargoyles and gold godrick) and it wasn't so bad, just kinda tedious but it depends a lot on the patterns. Malenia for example is proving a lot more annoying to deal with due to her fast and wide attacks than Godrick's gold shade who was fully immune to all status. It was pretty easy to land a full L1 combo safely inbetween most of Godrick's attacks cause he's relatively slow, while Malenia will either just jump away mid combo, or start her own combo and unless I have the lucky timing for a poise proc(which is only every 3hits with daggers), I'll trade which is terrible against her. I gave her probably 20tries so far and have yet to push her in phase 2, although that was similar to Maliketh, took me a while to reliably get past phase 1 but then killed it pretty quick. Malenia has a few moves you can punish very safely in phase 2(scarlet aeonia and the longer jump smash due to the rot explosion) so I think it won't be too bad once I'm more used to her basic moveset. Hora Loux I'm not expecting to be too hard either. Radagon maybe not entirely sure as I really didn't get to see much out of him when I cleared it and Beast should be fine. There's Mhog too I haven't done yet but he's somewhat simple and if I use the special flask thing for him I think he'll just die really fast.

At the very least it's a fitting choice for a challenging run. Daggers are just as shit as I thought they'd be, glad I rerolled early on for my first clear, I think they're even worse than they used to be in other souls, and they were already not great, but the fact the hitboxes on the bosses are so much more accurate now means on every mid sized boss you'll often just fail to connect an attack even though you rolled into the hitbox so you can't be any closer. You have to aim at specific parts of the body of the bosses if you want to hit them because in certain spots you can't hit a boss that you're in direct contact with. That and the fact they gave other weapons just as good/better ways to apply status, sepukku can't be used on daggers for some reason, curved swords and twinblades both have attacks that are just as fast if not better at applying status in short windows and dagger only shines when you can mash L1 combo several times which is only on certain bosses and dagger status selection is actually absolute ass with only 3 bleed and 1 scarlet rot option, no cold, no poison, no mixed, no unique weapon art good at applying etc.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
In NG+ I completely gimpblitzed Godfrey the Golden. Summoned mimic tear and blasted him with spells and the fight was over in like 15 seconds with minimal effort. I felt pretty shitty afterwards, so I fought Morgott 1-on-1 with no spells. Got totally lost in Farum Azula and called it a day after running in circles for a while. Next major session I get the plat.

In the PS4 samurai run I'm gonna make sure to fight GTG mano-a-mano and have the real fight I cheated myself out of. There are a few other fights in the same boat, like Godrick at the beginning. Matter of fact I think I'll go out of my way to avoid spells entirely and only bring out the Mimic when I really want to get something over with. I've got arrows if I need to fight gimpily for part of a boss battle but I'm gonna do everything I can to stick and move. No shield cause of the dual Uchis so that'll be tough too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As of today I officially own three copies of Dark Souls

Prepare to die
Remastered on PC
Remastered on PS

It's a sickness

• 3Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220608_170150.jpg

Sick today so it wasn't easy, especially the final boss. Got decked out in those new pants (too bad about all the scars) and finally knocked out the Frenzied Flame ending in NG+.

20220608_170358.jpg

That's it, the plat is finally done. 132 hours. Still best game of all time.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just realized something. The Larval Tear is a silver metal embryo, much like the Mimic Tear is a fully-grown silver liquid metal T-1000 thing.

And you use the Larval Tear to respec. Maybe this was already obvious to other people, but...

...My God, when you respec, are you actually killing your old self and replacing them with a new mimic tear clone who doesn't know the difference?

Like this movie

Yeah. Now I'm a little freaked out.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Just realized something. The Larval Tear is a silver metal embryo, much like the Mimic Tear is a fully-grown silver liquid metal T-1000 thing.

And you use the Larval Tear to respec. Maybe this was already obvious to other people, but...

...My God, when you respec, are you actually killing your old self and replacing them with a new mimic tear clone who doesn't know the difference?

Like this movie

Yeah. Now I'm a little freaked out.

See this a whole cut quest from the game that explained how the mimics worked, and is also believed how you were suppose too originally get the Mimic Tear.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Malenia took 2 trys,, fucking elden beast took so many finally had to summon.

It's weird, in my first run of the game I didn't have much trouble with the final boss. Hourah Loux was the big endgame problem for me.

This time I beat HL in one shot, then totally struggled with the final boss. Most of my trouble was actually with Radagon, weirdly enough. Took me like 9 tries of Radagon and 3 tries of EB to win.

Maliketh was a one-shot for me both times, weird considering how much I see him on "toughest boss" rankings.

I think everything from Fire Giant onward (so not counting second forms, like the last six bosses) are the toughest part of this game by a mile. I guess maybe it starts with Morgott actually, who is before Fire Giant if I remember right. Either way there's a big difficulty spike towards the end.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's weird, in my first run of the game I didn't have much trouble with the final boss. Hourah Loux was the big endgame problem for me.

This time I beat HL in one shot, then totally struggled with the final boss. Most of my trouble was actually with Radagon, weirdly enough. Took me like 9 tries of Radagon and 3 tries of EB to win.

Maliketh was a one-shot for me both times, weird considering how much I see him on "toughest boss" rankings.

I think everything from Fire Giant onward (so not counting second forms, like the last six bosses) are the toughest part of this game by a mile. I guess maybe it starts with Morgott actually, who is before Fire Giant if I remember right. Either way there's a big difficulty spike towards the end.

Maliketh is a glass cannon that's fast. If you have high damage or get a good distraction from your summons, you can burn him down quickly since he has low HP for being that late in the game

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Morgott was stupidly easy for me, mainly because I had the shackle and had seen all of his bullshit before in the Margitt fight, but with an open arena this time. IF you are any kind of Sorcerer, you can just roll out of his AEs and burn him down in phase two after basically ignoring most of his phase one with the shackle. I found 2 Gargs to be the first major difficulty spike and Hora Loux the next major one. Malikith really comes down to how dependent on pure mele you are, since he is one of several bosses with mountains of fuck you abilities to melee.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Morgott was stupidly easy for me, mainly because I had the shackle and had seen all of his bullshit before in the Margitt fight, but with an open arena this time. IF you are any kind of Sorcerer, you can just roll out of his AEs and burn him down in phase two after basically ignoring most of his phase one with the shackle. I found 2 Gargs to be the first major difficulty spike and Hora Loux the next major one. Malikith really comes down to how dependent on pure mele you are, since he is one of several bosses with mountains of fuck you abilities to melee.
I killed Maliki the first try with melee dual wielding great swords. As well as first try on almost all of the FA bosses. The lightning dude on the horse was the only one that gave me problems. Him and chasing elden beast for miles.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah I don't think I'm killing Malenia with this dagger build, got quite a lot better after the many hours I spent on her, but it's still really hard to punish her efficiently and she has way too much hp(between her 2 bars and her self healing).

Cleared Houra Loux in like 25mins even though I hadn't really seen anything from him the first time since he was just focused on my mimic, and Radagon took a couple of hours as expected he was pretty annoying as a melee and without a summon to distract but once I memorized the timings I got him low reliably, and the first time I killed him I also almost one shot the beast after, died to some shit I didn't see cause can't see shit on this boss at ~20%. Couple tries later I got back to beast and this time killed it. No status doesn't really matter when you can just do full stamina bars of L1 combos with daggers.

Malenia probably has taken me as much time as every other bosses combined so far I think(including dual gargoyles which was horrible with daggers+no summon) and the best I got was like 50% in phase 2 without really any consistency getting to phase 2.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just to clarify, I meant the main story. The main story bosses don't get really strong until Fire Giant onwards (maybe Morgott, depending on build).

This doesn't take into account all the non-mandatory bosses that are balls-to-the-wall: Valiant Gargoyles, Mogh x2, Malenia, Radahn, Commander Niall w/ gank squad, Dragonlord, etc.

The real question for me now is if Morgott or Fire Giant is the beginning of the difficulty jump. I always roll Godfrey the Golden too fast to know if he's a threat (gonna fight him without mimic or spells next time). I rolled Morgott pretty fast with two other people in NG, then ran into a wall with Fire Giant. In NG+ I fought Morgott with no summon/spells and it was a good brawl, but again I still didn't have nearly the trouble with him that I did with Fire Giant onwards.

It's sort of like Morgott > everything before him and then Fire Giant+ > Morgott.

Like Morgott is the final boss of easier open world Souls and Mountaintop is just a nice DLC postgame reward area.

And then FG+ are "time for traditional Souls, prepare for beatings"

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Radagon was a pain but not horrible once I got my rolls down. Elden beast was a bitch as pure melee having to chase it around while avoiding its AOEs. I think the thing that gimped me the most was having been so reliant on rivers of blood raping everything and then all of a sudden surprise the last two bosses don't give a fuck about bleed.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Radagon was a pain but not horrible once I got my rolls down. Elden beast was a bitch as pure melee having to chase it around while avoiding its AOEs. I think the thing that gimped me the most was having been so reliant on rivers of blood raping everything and then all of a sudden surprise the last two bosses don't give a fuck about bleed.
On daggers it was pretty easy because unlike some bosses, it's so big you don't constantly miss due to it moving around slightly or whatever, and I had godskin swaddling cloth as one of my accessories, which with daggers heals a ton on this fight since it's based on number of hits and you can often get full L1 powerstance dagger combos out, so you heal like 10-15% of your life everytime it stays still for a bit, which basically heals all the random ass damage from like elden stars or chip dmg from the "rocket beams" thing and such, so you really only have to look out for the big hitters. Ironically it's the one fight I think was better on dagger than it'd have been with other melee weapons, even though it was status immune. Well that and placidusax for the same reasons, really easy to connect with and once it stands still you can get long combos off which lets you leverage the one advantage daggers have over other weapons, their sustained DPS/damage per stamina ratio.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

In NG+ I used Rivers on both of the final bosses and it worked out really well on damage output. Though Radagon took a bunch of tries. I switched to Malenia sword after a couple losses and found that its damage output wasn't as good as dual Rivers, so I switched back.

It's worth noting, though, that I had 80 Dex and 60 Arcane. The Arcane stat turns Rivers into an absolute beast on just attack output alone, to say nothing of procs. Also had a bunch of End/Mind for spamming the L2. Also liked L1-ing out of rolls which was a potent double-swing.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
20220611_205332.jpg

It has occurred to me that Stonesword Key is one of the items you can choose at the beginning, which would let you open this fog gate in the intro dungeon.

Any particular advantage to doing this at the beginning? Anyone remember what's in here?

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You get the erdtree talisman there, but you can find plenty of keys on the early merchants for 2-4k runes, so not a huge advantage. I'd rather take the early golden seed

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
View attachment 416629
It has occurred to me that Stonesword Key is one of the items you can choose at the beginning, which would let you open this fog gate in the intro dungeon.

Any particular advantage to doing this at the beginning? Anyone remember what's in here?

Think you also get the dragon incantation seal. Don't think getting that immediately is going to help much