Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Goonsquad Officer
I’m struggling on phase 2 of Rennala. Old and slow maybe but managed to take out magma wyrm and other annoying mobs like that Erdtree Burial Watchdog but she just constantly frustrates me.
Throw poison knives at her. They interrupt her casting

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Rock Toss with the meteor staff crushes her, for casters. Everyone else, grab your most staggering 2h and roll up on her and smash.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Am I better off just making both Uchis into Blood Uchis instead of having the offhand one be Cold? Seems like I'll get more out of Arcane that way but I don't know. I was thinking I'd be getting double procs from building up both blood and cold meters on an enemy, but I don't really seem to be getting more procs with L1 spam than I do with R1 spam. I have seen frostbite fire though.
I'd say, it depends. Double blood is usually more damage, but blood/cold is more bursty especially on low hp targets. When I did my dagger run I always used a cold dagger for like trash mobs, because most of them died when both things proced at the same time after a couple of hits, while you wouldn't necessarily get 2 bleed procs in the same amount of time due to how status tresholds increase when they proc.

Another thing to consider with natural bleeding weapon like uchigatana is that occult ends up scaling a lot better than blood. Occult makes the natural bleeding value scales with arcane, such as with good arcane(60) you get pretty similar bleeding value(iirc on my daggers, bleed was 110bleed, occult was 89bleed with 60arcane) while also getting A LOT more raw dmg scaling. Bleed is better early or on weapons with no natural bleed obviously, but occult is very strong later on on these weaps.

So in the end, I had 3 daggers in my standard setup, a cold weap with natural bleed, a pure bleed weap(reduvia dagger which has excelent natural arcane, river of blood would be the equivalent for katana) and an occult weap with natural bleed. I would start the fight with the cold weap to proc freeze, then swap to the occult one. On some fights, I actually started with occult, and swapped to cold later to burst through phases and shit. But if you don't want to swap and stuff, definitely just stick to double bleeding, you lose too much dmg using freezing due to the int scaling shit if you don't swap it out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd say, it depends. Double blood is usually more damage, but blood/cold is more bursty especially on low hp targets. When I did my dagger run I always used a cold dagger for like trash mobs, because most of them died when both things proced at the same time after a couple of hits, while you wouldn't necessarily get 2 bleed procs in the same amount of time due to how status tresholds increase when they proc.

Another thing to consider with natural bleeding weapon like uchigatana is that occult ends up scaling a lot better than blood. Occult makes the natural bleeding value scales with arcane, such as with good arcane(60) you get pretty similar bleeding value(iirc on my daggers, bleed was 110bleed, occult was 89bleed with 60arcane) while also getting A LOT more raw dmg scaling. Bleed is better early or on weapons with no natural bleed obviously, but occult is very strong later on on these weaps.

So in the end, I had 3 daggers in my standard setup, a cold weap with natural bleed, a pure bleed weap(reduvia dagger which has excelent natural arcane, river of blood would be the equivalent for katana) and an occult weap with natural bleed. I would start the fight with the cold weap to proc freeze, then swap to the occult one. On some fights, I actually started with occult, and swapped to cold later to burst through phases and shit. But if you don't want to swap and stuff, definitely just stick to double bleeding, you lose too much dmg using freezing due to the int scaling shit if you don't swap it out.

Alright I'm going with double bloods. Whenever I get an Occult ash I'll switch them both over to that. Though Blood Slash or w/e it's called is chunking bosses early on.

I'm up to Altus Plateau now, swords are +14 and +12.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Alright I'm going with double bloods. Whenever I get an Occult ash I'll switch them both over to that. Though Blood Slash or w/e it's called is chunking bosses early on.

I'm up to Altus Plateau now, swords are +14 and +12.
You can use blood ashes of war with occult scaling once you have the black whetblade, so if you like one(say Sepukku which tends to be the go to once you unlock it), you can still have occult. That whetblade is a bit annoying to get though since it's all the way down all these caves shit and I think you have to kill Radahn before you can go there at all unless you use glitches. There isn't really an actual occult ash of war you'd want to use before that I'd say, there's only like 4 of them, one is spear only, one is fist only, one is in consecrated so it's really far which only leaves the volcano manor vendor one which makes you invisible which feels like a waste of an ash of war anyway.

So probably fine to keep using blood for now anyway. Also while I used occult because I kinda had to cause daggers are shit raw phys, katanas aren't so bad so probably wouldn't notice as much of a difference.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks for the advice, I'll try her later on today when I'm back home.

Running a Faith Crusader type build, ever the paladin. Alternating between Halo Scythe and Guardian Swordspear. Halo packs a punch but too long a wind up on ranged attack for her and melee swings are noticeably slower than the Swordspear. I'll try the running towards her trick at the opening of P2 and then pop the wolves on her once she starts to run off. If I can stagger her I might switch to Halo as its damage output on Miquella's Ring of Light seems to still hurt her even with her resists (40 for Holy vs 80 for Magic).

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Do you have a lance thats crafted up? I remember wrecking her with a lance on my first play, just pure physical damage with a lot of stagger if you land the good hit on her. The Zweilhander you get out of Morne Castle is pretty great in that fight, too.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Came back to a char, ran down and got the fingerslayer blade in record time. But then realized I gotta either do sewer Mohg and twin gargs as melee to get into deeproot. Oh man it's gonna be gay.

• 1Worf

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you have a lance thats crafted up? I remember wrecking her with a lance on my first play, just pure physical damage with a lot of stagger if you land the good hit on her. The Zweilhander you get out of Morne Castle is pretty great in that fight, too.

I've yet to pick up a lance. Camped the Gatefront knight for an age and no drop, I should probably check out a decent one for my level now and just Silver Fowl Foot it.

Halberd with the spining move works great on her too

Guardian's Swordspear is what I'm currently using which has Spinning Slash.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The basic lance is just lying on a ruined building in the storm hills north of the starting area where the giants roam around. Its not the best weapon, moveset wise, but it rapes things that can be staggered and is the only great lance that you can put an ash of war on, iirc. I found it to be really good in the Academy dungeon due to the mages being really easy to stunlock.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Came back to a char, ran down and got the fingerslayer blade in record time. But then realized I gotta either do sewer Mohg and twin gargs as melee to get into deeproot. Oh man it's gonna be gay.
Ghost Mohg was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. You get the shackles in the sewers before him, and you can stun him twice with it, so the fight is actually pretty short and you just massacre him, and he doesn't do phase 2 mohg moveset shit, so it's actually pretty easy. He hit me with a bunch of stuff but he didn't do that much dmg, and that was with dagger which are usually all about status, with proper weaps it'd go even better. I think I killed him on first or second try on that dagger run.

Twin gargs can suck a dick though, I also did them but they were fucking horrible. If you have a decent reach weap with good R2 stagger I think it'd be easier, kinda, but it's still a fucking shit fight. I'd take the ghost mohg route, it's a lot easier imo, although the dungeon before it is harder if you don't just skip everything(that's what I did, I barely fought anything in there, it's a bit of a maze but it was still clear in my memory so I remembered the way to progress quickly through it so took like 5mins total).

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I've yet to pick up a lance. Camped the Gatefront knight for an age and no drop, I should probably check out a decent one for my level now and just Silver Fowl Foot it.

Guardian's Swordspear is what I'm currently using which has Spinning Slash.
There's multiple great spears you can get early on especially for faith build, not so many normal spears though they're mostly dropped which sucks. For heavy spears, there's the Lance one which is in limgrave on a corpe on top of a building right next to where the knight that drops Golden Vow is, the Tree Spear in the bottom right corner of Liurna right at the edge if you follow the road south after getting on the eastern part and the Vyke's Spear from the Vyke invasion in the northeast, past the frenzy tower at that church up there. The latter two actually scale off faith, with great tree being a holy weap while vyke being a fire weap, vyke requires a bit less other stats too(20dex instead of 22). For normal spear, the only good one you can get pretty early is the Naginata in Gael tunnels in Callid, can get it off a corpse and it's basically the best spear in the game anyway.

Halberds like the guardian's swordspear you have should be more than fine though, they're somewhat similar already in terms of reach and stuff, only advantage of actual spears is they do piercing dmg(which is irrelevant versus Renala, only good against stuff like dragons and such) and their moveset works somewhat better with shields(can do R1 taps while blocking with thrusting weaps like spears and thrusting swords) but you probably don't want to be blocking on that fight unless you have a high magic resist shield or you use the shield buff sorcery to get high magic absorb.

Since you're using mostly slower weaps, I'd recommend the charged R2 during the beam or whenever she stands there casting some shit that doesn't hit you(like when she does her spinning weapon spell which she tends to channel for a few secs, you can get behind and charge R2). With the halberd I'd think only a few of these(2-3) will stagger her, giving you a critical blow opportunity and for the rest either do jumping R2, or just R1 combos depending on the opening. Once you get a feel for the fight you'll notice it's actually pretty easy.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Steam shows I completed 82% of the achievements on one play through. Wondering how that stacks up. Is that average? Above average? Below Average?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Steam shows I completed 82% of the achievements on one play through. Wondering how that stacks up. Is that average? Above average? Below Average?
I'd say average if you cleared everything. A lot of the achievements are killing bosses, and as long as you clear "everything", you'll get most or all of these(notable exception would be the Fia quest boss which is missable). There's only a handful of achievements that aren't killing bosses, there's 3 achievements for specific endings, one for all legendary spells, one for legendary accs, one for legendary weaps and one for legendary ashes. If you clear everything you'll get some of these naturally too, might miss one or two here and there.

Overall 100% is very easy to get in this game as most of it is unmissable and part of the natural progression if you're diligent about clearing stuff, can get all the item stuff besides one weapon at any point in endgame, can get all bosses besides the one from Fia's questline if you advanced her quest too far by doing other stuff leaving only the 3 endings which can be cheesed if you just do a backup of your save then replace the backup to see all endings in a row.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fuck twin gargs sans ashes. Just fuck them. I hate that fucking fight alone.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'd say average if you cleared everything. A lot of the achievements are killing bosses, and as long as you clear "everything", you'll get most or all of these(notable exception would be the Fia quest boss which is missable). There's only a handful of achievements that aren't killing bosses, there's 3 achievements for specific endings, one for all legendary spells, one for legendary accs, one for legendary weaps and one for legendary ashes. If you clear everything you'll get some of these naturally too, might miss one or two here and there.

Overall 100% is very easy to get in this game as most of it is unmissable and part of the natural progression if you're diligent about clearing stuff, can get all the item stuff besides one weapon at any point in endgame, can get all bosses besides the one from Fia's questline if you advanced her quest too far by doing other stuff leaving only the 3 endings which can be cheesed if you just do a backup of your save then replace the backup to see all endings in a row.

In the PS4 run I'm trying to get the full 100% inside of the first game. Since I just finished it on PS5 I have a pretty good idea of how to do this. Mainly need to make sure I do Fia's quest, make sure I get all the rare weapons before the capitol transforms, and be prepared for all 3 endings when I get to the finale. I almost did it in one go the first time around, but I missed Fia, one weapon, and the fire altar after Mohg. It's very doable, and I didn't find NG+ that fun anyway, so bear in mind that the platinum is attainable in one shot if you watch out for those few above missables.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Ghost Mohg was a lot easier than I thought it'd be. You get the shackles in the sewers before him, and you can stun him twice with it, so the fight is actually pretty short and you just massacre him, and he doesn't do phase 2 mohg moveset shit, so it's actually pretty easy. He hit me with a bunch of stuff but he didn't do that much dmg, and that was with dagger which are usually all about status, with proper weaps it'd go even better. I think I killed him on first or second try on that dagger run.

Twin gargs can suck a dick though, I also did them but they were fucking horrible. If you have a decent reach weap with good R2 stagger I think it'd be easier, kinda, but it's still a fucking shit fight. I'd take the ghost mohg route, it's a lot easier imo, although the dungeon before it is harder if you don't just skip everything(that's what I did, I barely fought anything in there, it's a bit of a maze but it was still clear in my memory so I remembered the way to progress quickly through it so took like 5mins total).
I beat the twin gargoyles with the star beast jaw. I think the gravity magic seems to stagger or do more damage than them because there stone maybe.. They're a pain in the ass though if they're both out of the same time, but once I switched to that weapon it wasn't too bad. I can burn the first one down with my mimic out, he could at least take the agro as I lined up on the second.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I beat the twin gargoyles with the star beast jaw. I think the gravity magic seems to stagger or do more damage than them because there stone maybe.. They're a pain in the ass though if they're both out of the same time, but once I switched to that weapon it wasn't too bad. I can burn the first one down with my mimic out, he could at least take the agro as I lined up on the second.
Yeah with summons it's not as bad and if you have high dmg enough to kill the first before second gets there it's even pretty easy, on my dagger run though I had neither and it was truly fucking painful, it's not even that "hard", it's just they're constantly vomitting poison shit everywhere and it's hard to tell if you're in it or not and you barely get any time to beat on the low hp gargoyle to finish it as it just jumps around while attacking while the other is chain vomitting poison shit everytime you can attack.

Difficulty on these definitely depends a lot on your setup with dagger and no summon probably being one of the worst possible, while my initial runs with summons were pretty ok, both collossal greatsword with barbarian cry R2 which basically dismantled the first garg once it was distracted by my greatshield bois and the faith caster build spamming fireballs with a mimic also spamming spells at it so it died stupidly fast before the 2nd garg was anywhere close.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
1655393429210.png

Yeah he got one and doned.

And now, to not overthink this:
1655393762997.png

Dont think, just do?

1655394127407.png

ONE N DONE

Last edited: