Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Whips are pretty cool but the reason I didn't use them is because the jump attack looked a lot better than everything else, and it felt weird to just do jump attacks. I honestly wouldn't mind if they nerfed every jump attack in the game by like 30% or whatever, the fact you can attack while moving(even if not that much) is already a huge advantage, plus the animations often being shorter than other stuff for slower weapons(crouch attacks excluded). I mean it's just another part of the moveset but I find it "weird" to be doing jump attacks constantly.

That said for the DLC releases, seeing as I've already played most stuff I wanted to play anyway, it's likely gonna be whips or fists, and since fists look like challenge mode shit with the garbo range probably gonna be using whips.
Iron balls fists are super powerful now, actually.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Iron balls fists are super powerful now, actually.
I could see that but I wouldn't want giant balls on my fists, I'd be using the raptor claws and shit like that and these look pretty meh. Mind, I've done a dagger only run so it wouldn't be very different really other than the lack of Reduvia for range options, but it would also be kinda redundant so I'm more leaning towards whips for the DLC and just not spam jumps. It does also depend on the DLC new gear though, if they add a cool new weap early in the DLC I might just use go for that instead.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started off a Wretch just to play with whips. Much fun running around Castle Morne and Caria Manor picking up the Whip and Urumi at level 1.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Can get this on Steam for $35.27 on 2game.com right now, or like $42 directly on steam.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So far it feels like Samurai Skyrim on insane difficulty mode for no good reason.

The difficulty isn't as insane as it appears...it's not that bad if you overlevel. At the outset it looks daunting. Game gives you no hints, puts a very strong boss right in front of you where you start, etc. That boss isn't representative of the overall game, it's just there to put the Fear Of God into people.

How long have you been playing, and is it your first Fromsoft game?

It's very very different from Skyrim.

My advice is to find the camp full of knights. From the very outset, you go past the horseman boss, to the church. It has an important merchant, so it's a good base of operations. Then continue up that way to a camp, I think Stormhill Camp is the name. There are a couple of really good weapons on the wagons in the camp (jump up onto them and inspect their cargo to get a Zweihander and a Flail). The knights there can also drop the Brass Shield which is like, the best shield in the game. Or at least, I used it for the entire game. There are a couple of others that are better depending on builds, but a forged-up Brass Shield will deflect pretty much anything. Most importantly, that camp gives you a lot of practice fighting in this game, picking off foes, not getting cornered, using some stealth, etc etc. I'd, no joke, spend a couple hours there just playing around and getting more levels, or at least till the shield dropped.

Once you gain some levels and get good with the Zweihander or Flail (or Uchi since you're a Samurai*), another good early-game area to go to is the mine in the swamp to the south. Watch out for the dragon outside. That mine contains a ton of upgrade materials as ground spawns (gold crystals), plus the enemies can drop upgrade materials uncommonly. So that's another good place to practice and farm for a while. Then hit the Roundtable Hold and upgrade your weapon of choice to +5 or whatever it can get to on the first tier of upgrade mats, use the leftover mats on the Brass Shield.

* - For a Samurai, finding new weapons is less crucial because the Uchi is the best starting weapon any class gets. You can actually use that for like half the game without any issues. In my Samurai run, I used that until I got the Moonveil katana, then used that until I got Rivers of Blood, then eventually Hand of Malenia. ...and now I want to go get a second HoM in NG+ and run around dual-wielding those. Well, next time.

Everyone struggles at the beginning of their first Fromsoft game, and wonders why people like this junk so much. The first six hours or so of Bloodborne, I made like no progress, almost brought the game back to the store, and was actually angry about the whole thing. I actively rebelled against the "you just need to get good" mentality and ranted to people that I'd rather learn a musical instrument or something actually useful.

Then I gave it a few more hours and it clicked somewhere. By hour 10 I had "gotten it" and within the week it was my favorite PS4 game. Now Fromsoft is my favorite dev studio. It's difficult to get other people into these games, though, because everyone goes through that first 5-10 hour barrier of being unimpressed or warded off.

• 1Like

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Everyone struggles at the beginning of their first Fromsoft game, and wonders why people like this junk so much. The first six hours or so of Bloodborne, I made like no progress, almost brought the game back to the store, and was actually angry about the whole thing. I actively rebelled against the "you just need to get good" mentality and ranted to people that I'd rather learn a musical instrument or something actually useful.

Then I gave it a few more hours and it clicked somewhere. By hour 10 I had "gotten it" and within the week it was my favorite PS4 game. Now Fromsoft is my favorite dev studio. It's difficult to get other people into these games, though, because everyone goes through that first 5-10 hour barrier of being unimpressed or warded off.
This was my experience as well almost verbatim. I would agree 100%.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The difficulty isn't as insane as it appears...it's not that bad if you overlevel. At the outset it looks daunting. Game gives you no hints, puts a very strong boss right in front of you where you start, etc. That boss isn't representative of the overall game, it's just there to put the Fear Of God into people.

My advice is to find the camp full of knights. From the very outset, you go past the horseman boss, to the church. It has an important merchant, so it's a good base of operations. Then continue up that way to a camp, I think Stormhill Camp is the name. There are a couple of really good weapons on the wagons in the camp (jump up onto them and inspect their cargo to get a Zweihander and a Flail). The knights there can also drop the Brass Shield which is like, the best shield in the game. Or at least, I used it for the entire game. There are a couple of others that are better depending on builds, but a forged-up Brass Shield will deflect pretty much anything. Most importantly, that camp gives you a lot of practice fighting in this game, picking off foes, not getting cornered, using some stealth, etc etc. I'd, no joke, spend a couple hours there just playing around and getting more levels, or at least till the shield dropped.

Once you gain some levels and get good with the Zweihander or Flail (or Uchi since you're a Samurai*), another good early-game area to go to is the mine in the swamp to the south. Watch out for the dragon outside. That mine contains a ton of upgrade materials as ground spawns (gold crystals), plus the enemies can drop upgrade materials uncommonly. So that's another good place to practice and farm for a while. Then hit the Roundtable Hold and upgrade your weapon of choice to +5 or whatever it can get to on the first tier of upgrade mats, use the leftover mats on the Brass Shield.

* - For a Samurai, finding new weapons is less crucial because the Uchi is the best starting weapon any class gets. You can actually use that for like half the game without any issues. In my Samurai run, I used that until I got the Moonveil katana, then used that until I got Rivers of Blood, then eventually Hand of Malenia. ...and now I want to go get a second HoM in NG+ and run around dual-wielding those. Well, next time.

Alot of words to tell someone to git gud faggot

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
If I don't get this for Xmas I'm picking it up on steam-winter sale , I'm getting slaughtered for the new year.

Fucker

Log Wizard

What's a good class whatever build to start?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
From games have very loose "builds". You have stats and they more or less govern what gear you want, but you can respec(not right away, need to kill the "second" boss although depending on how you explore you might kill it out of order) and you can kinda mix and match stuff if you want with stats not having a massive impact on damage and more on restricting what gear you can use. Also besides the extreme case(big 2H mace shit), a lot of weapons have fairly low stats reqs so you can use them with low investment, or no investment at all if you have gear that gives stats or just a class with strong starting stats for that type.

You can check youtube and stuff if you want ideas. Generally speaking the easiest I'd say is mage builds(sorcery specifically, although invocations aren't that bad but sorc is just easier) and katana bleed shit(bit of dex, bit of str, bit of arcane, depends a bit on the weapon but you can get a pretty decent katana in one of the caves in the first area for example).

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Before I got gud, 2hand chonk boi build carried me well. Collosal weapons have good stagger and wearing heavy armor allows for more mistakes with dodging.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While Int Casters can demolish stuff you’ll spend a shit-ton of time dying in dungeons with them at early levels. Gargoyles just love routinely raping casters. I think a good starting class is Confessor as you get a sword and shield and access to Faith spells which are both capable of destruction, buffing, and healing. There’s only one Int-based heal from memory and that’s parked late in the game.

• 1Like

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Int casters are ez mode if you use the trap to go get the grav staff and the boulder spell near it. You can ride that combo for practically half the game and its way less farming and stat intensive than just about any mele build. I was genuinely shocked at how much easier being a caster was in this game, even compared to DS1. There are specific enemies that are very rough to get past, but for most of them you can lean on summons if you have to. Start with the Prisoner class for extra cheese because the AI won't dodge the delayed nuke that class begins with. And if you want to melee, grind out the MLGS quest line and you are arguably stronger than just about any 2h build out there. Melenia was a huge fucking cock block to a pure caster, though, but you can respec (spear shield works well there) for that specific fight if you even want her weapon.

Nothing is stronger than Katana builds with bleed stacking, even with all the nerfs. And the game practically throws them at you left and right. Sword of Night and Fire is about the only thing comparably as easy as katana bleed was for me. Bonus points if you go deep on Dex and pair it with lightning prayers. Many of the lightning spells clear out trash and some bosses better than the INT Sorcery ones do, but its more of a stat investment and balancing act that just loading Night Comet and going pew pew pew all game.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Samurai is the best class to start. Put a lot of points in HP early and for a while, then switch to whatever stat boosts Uchigatana attack the most (I think dex).

They start with the best starting weapon (Uchi) which is good for a while, and you can get a second one fairly early in the game to dual-wield.

They also start with a bow which gives you a range attack.

Before I got gud, 2hand chonk boi build carried me well. Collosal weapons have good stagger and wearing heavy armor allows for more mistakes with dodging.

I've never played any Fromsoft game with a str build chonk-boi. It's always either dex or spellcaster. I was gonna do that with the PS5 version of Bloodborne, except it never got announced. So maybe I'll try that in my next ER play.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There is something very cathartic about going 2h unga bunga and From seems to be forever buffing that playstyle. Issue is that MLGS is already pretty much one of the top end 2h (and goes with a sorc build) and the playstyle gets pretty stale after a while. Worth one run just to facetank smash shit, though, for sure.