Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Uhh, it’s the same thing. DLC doesn’t mean it’s something you have to pay for. It’s DownLoadable Content and covers any kind of a content update.

Oh ok, so this is the 8th DLC then for Elden Ring.

• 2Worf
  • 2Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Your stupidity and penchant for drawing attention to it is truly amazing sometimes. Bravo.

You didn't know the difference between a patch and DLC, it happens.

You don't have to double down on being retarded.

• 2Moron
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You didn't know the difference between a patch and DLC, it happens.

You don't have to double down on being retarded.

It's impressive you're going to double down AND dig in on this one. Godspeed.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Uhh, it’s the same thing. DLC doesn’t mean it’s something you have to pay for. It’s DownLoadable Content and covers any kind of a content update.
Oh ok, so this is the 8th DLC then for Elden Ring.

I think this arena update is technically a DLC, yes.

However it isn't a "DLC expansion" in the way people usually think of them when you say DLC, ala Ashes of Ariandel and The Ringed City.

So that's probably why the difference of opinions. This is a nice DLC update but we're still waiting for the first big paid DLC expansion.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
It's impressive you're going to double down AND dig in on this one. Godspeed.

Gotta get my fix somehow, and nobody's posted random npcs fighting each other in days.

But seriously, if it's something you're entitled to with the base game, and can't opt out of unless you just refuse any more patches and now can't play online, then it's a stretch calling it a DLC vs a patch.

Sure, it's content that you downloaded, but then so is every update

• 2Like
  • 1Moron

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Gotta get my fix somehow, and nobody's posted random npcs fighting each other in days.

But seriously, if it's something you're entitled to with the base game, and can't opt out of unless you just refuse any more patches and now can't play online, then it's a stretch calling it a DLC vs a patch.

I'll respond to you in a few days after my wifi network has finally been converted to mesh. Its totally different which should help me think more clearly.

After that I plan on uninstalling the internet and migrating to the cloud.

• 3Worf

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So 6 man FFA with summons? Intriguing. Wasn't a fan of pvp when it first came out. TTK was way to low. Didnt give me the same satisfaction as DS pvp. Dunno how the meta ended, I know they did some balance pass a while ago, did it end up decently playable ala DS3?

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Can your brain seriously not differentiate between patches that just make changes to existing content, and patches that add brand new content that did not exist before?

Do you have an inner monologue?

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Can your brain seriously not differentiate between patches that just make changes to existing content, and patches that add brand new content that did not exist before?

Do you have an inner monologue?

Have you ever had an original thought?

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's just semantics really.

Is it a content patch or a free DLC? Who cares? It's the same thing.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Patches refer to tweaking or re-working original code without maximum deviation from said code.

So let's analyze this like we would if we were having 6 meetings over the course of a month to determine how a player should interact with a door in a video game.

1) Were the assets already there with unfinished code (Gaming mechanisms or Network) to access said PVP area? If so, the code needed to be finished and therefore, it is DLC.

2) Were the assets and code finished for said PVP area and flagged off due to testing constraints? Then we must move to subsection 2 A and B.

2A) Assets and coding were completed but underlying network framing for the specific area was not completed - We now deem this DLC.
2B) Assets and coding were completed and underlying network framing for the specific area was completed but not tested - We now deem this a patch.

BUT...

Now imagine this little curve ball:

3A/B Bravo) Assets and coding were completed along with underlying network framing, testing was completed, and the entire feature turned off, only to be released as a $9.99 DLC 6 months later. This is nor a patch OR DLC. This is called Bethesda.

Now, imagine having the above needing to met on 4 hours a day Monday through Friday over the course of 4 months - This is called Blizzard.

the-more-you-know.jpg

/bow

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
  • 4Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 11 users

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
Patches refer to tweaking or re-working original code without maximum deviation from said code.

So let's analyze this like we would if we were having 6 meetings over the course of a month to determine how a player should interact with a door in a video game.

1) Were the assets already there with unfinished code (Gaming mechanisms or Network) to access said PVP area? If so, the code needed to be finished and therefore, it is DLC.

2) Were the assets and code finished for said PVP area and flagged off due to testing constraints? Then we must move to subsection 2 A and B.

2A) Assets and coding were completed but underlying network framing for the specific area was not completed - We now deem this DLC.
2B) Assets and coding were completed and underlying network framing for the specific area was completed but not tested - We now deem this a patch.

BUT...

Now imagine this little curve ball:

3A/B Bravo) Assets and coding were completed along with underlying network framing, testing was completed, and the entire feature turned off, only to be released as a $9.99 DLC 6 months later. This is nor a patch OR DLC. This is called Bethesda.

Now, imagine having the above needing to met on 4 hours a day Monday through Friday over the course of 4 months - This is called Blizzard.

View attachment 446865

/bow
I started laughing mid meeting to this and had to explain why because that's out of character; you had the group rolling for a good 10min. Group of database guys in the middle of a replication SQL/oracle snaffu.

Greatly appreciated sir.

• 2Double Worf
  • 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I asked this before as a hypothetical for the DLC expansion (BOTB or whatever it ends up being), but now that we have an actual addition to the game I can ask again.

What kind of level should I be to get the most out of the arenas?

My save file is still sitting here at NG+++ and level 265, near the beginning of the game. Should I play through this file to get to all 3 arenas and use this character, or would I be better off doing an NG and getting to a more appropriate level like say 110 or whatever?

I imagine at 265 it'll only match me up with that whale guy from South Park with the carpal tunnel bracer on.