Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I would love to know what they were smoking to come up with this game. It has to be good stuff! Ran into living pots, huddled around the Kool-Aid man in a castle. Wow

Also, are the Dark Souls games like this? I played Sekiro and thought it was pretty cool. Didn't finish as I got so lost I gave up. I have all 3 DS games but every time I started I didn't know WTF I was doing. I guess I'm asking is there a point where it clicks and I get it?
Wait till you get to the capital city. It's pretty mind-blowing from just the sheer scale and ambience. Then there's everything with the underground there which I still haven't finished, but it's pretty crazy. It's easily my favorite area in the game.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I would love to know what they were smoking to come up with this game. It has to be good stuff! Ran into living pots, huddled around the Kool-Aid man in a castle. Wow

Also, are the Dark Souls games like this? I played Sekiro and thought it was pretty cool. Didn't finish as I got so lost I gave up. I have all 3 DS games but every time I started I didn't know WTF I was doing. I guess I'm asking is there a point where it clicks and I get it?

The Souls games are super similar to this, yeah. I'd play them in reverse order so you don't have to deal with the jarring transition of going back in time ten years.

ER then Dark Souls 3 then Dark Souls 2 then Dark Souls. Not sure where Demon's Souls on PS5 fits into this equation, since the visuals are modern but the actual design is from pre-DS1. Maybe do that one last.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I guess it's walkthrough time, I'm extremely lost*. Any recommendations that aren't spoilery?

* spent the entire afternoon trying to figure out how to make some grand lift thing work, wandering around killing stuff (yeah right!). Found some turtle looking things with a fort on their back. I think the Fromsoft pitch meeting had a bong in the room!

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well I guess it's walkthrough time, I'm extremely lost*. Any recommendations that aren't spoilery?

* spent the entire afternoon trying to figure out how to make some grand lift thing work, wandering around killing stuff (yeah right!). Found some turtle looking things with a fort on their back. I think the Fromsoft pitch meeting had a bong in the room!
73928863.jpg

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Not sure how much you're resting at Sites of Grace but generally you'll get a little pointer or two depending on where you plonk down your arse.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

The great lift needs two medallion pieces. Both are in forts, one fort is out in north-eastern Caelid.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
You do have to pay attention to what people say to you (as weird as it is), since there's no quest journal or anything like that (the only little nudge you get is the glowing arrow from sites of grace but that's just a general direction).

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You can bypass the lift entirely if you want by using an alternate route up, too. Assuming you are too lazy and/or don't wish to bother with the medallions, that is. The Caelid fort one is kind of rough if you are new and try to get it early on. With very few exceptions, there is usually more than one way to progress to new areas in ER.

Staberinde

Trakanon Raider
Some UI advice i'd give is to read the item descriptions on EVERYTHING. Especially things in the final tab of your inventory (or just tab left once when you go in). Lots of seemingly mundane items/objects/weapons/armor have important (but often unintuitive) uses that are only revealed somewhere in the item descriptions.

Be careful to check for any new dialogue options whenever you use sites of grace (they are often hidden low down in the options), and always talk to NPCs again until they start repeating themselves.

Also pay attention to interact options. Some things you need to interact with might be covered by player created text on the ground. If you see "Switch action" underneath the interact option then there may another action available.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Ok got it, don't look at walkthrus tbut this game REALLY needs a journal. Like the above saying the lift needs 2 pieces to work, how tf am I supposed to know that? At least the seal had a map telling me where to find a key. You peeps may like wandering around lost getting your ass handed to you but that to me is just frustrating. Like Caelid fort (Phazael above), first I'm hearing of it and wtf is it?

Also the game starts you west of areas that look like the are in the game, does the 'story' take you there or is it like an optional / farming location?

Also I'm working on 'get gud fgt'

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok got it, don't look at walkthrus tbut this game REALLY needs a journal. Like the above saying the lift needs 2 pieces to work, how tf am I supposed to know that? At least the seal had a map telling me where to find a key. You peeps may like wandering around lost getting your ass handed to you but that to me is just frustrating. Like Caelid fort (Phazael above), first I'm hearing of it and wtf is it?

Also the game starts you west of areas that look like the are in the game, does the 'story' take you there or is it like an optional / farming location?

I think someone, possibly the old dude in Roundtable Hold, tells you about the 2 pieces for the lift. I know it's not 100% blind, just don't recall where the info comes from.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I think if you read the item description it says one half of the key needed to operate the lift. Like other people said the item descriptions are generally important if you want a better understanding of the game, most of the games lore is from them. Most items it isn’t essential to read, but some can be.

The story doesn’t really take you anywhere in a linear fashion. There are arrows on some camp locations that point to big story/progression points but they don’t necessarily have to be followed in a certain order for the most part.

You could probably look up a “what’s a good progression path” for areas without looking at details to keep it spoiler free. Like “clear most of first area you start in, then do the big area south of that” type of guide.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I think if you read the item description it says one half of the key needed to operate the lift. Like other people said the item descriptions are generally important if you want a better understanding of the game, most of the games lore is from them. Most items it isn’t essential to read, but some can be.

The story doesn’t really take you anywhere in a linear fashion. There are arrows on some camp locations that point to big story/progression points but they don’t necessarily have to be followed in a certain order for the most part.

You could probably look up a “what’s a good progression path” for areas without looking at details to keep it spoiler free. Like “clear most of first area you start in, then do the big area south of that” type of guide.
ok great and thanks! That's what I'm looking for, this is generally a blast. This is too much fun to ruin/spoil.

At that lift, there was a ghost that said something about a tunnel so I thought that was how I progressed (based on where the camp arrow was pointing) so I was surprised to see that I need (2) keys.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
ok great and thanks! That's what I'm looking for, this is generally a blast. This is too much fun to ruin/spoil.

At that lift, there was a ghost that said something about a tunnel so I thought that was how I progressed (based on where the camp arrow was pointing) so I was surprised to see that I need (2) keys.
You can progress via the lift or the back way. It changes some things in the story depending on which you do. All things can be changed or fixed later so don’t worry too much about which path you go with.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was so busy getting lost in this game that I didn’t even think to stress about the lift or the two medallion pieces. I’m sure I got one and then 10 hours later found the lift and then 10 hours after that found the other medallion piece and then probably forgot the lift even existed. Most of the game for me wasn’t so much, how was I supposed to know about this? And more, holy shit this exists and is a thing? That’s fucking amazing.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Vinjin

Lord Nagafen Raider

Man, I’m excited for someone experiencing this game completey new like I did mid last year. It’s an incredible game, especially if you are new to the souls games like I was. I’m looking forward to hearing about your encounters with many of the big bosses. Some of them are pretty fucking epic!

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man, I’m excited for someone experiencing this game completey new like I did mid last year. It’s an incredible game, especially if you are new to the souls games like I was. I’m looking forward to hearing about your encounters with many of the big bosses. Some of them are pretty fucking epic!
You mean epic, rage inducing assholes, right?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm getting there bit by bit. I was today days old when I realized the pillar symbol on the non-mapped part is the location of the map. I took the above advice and just wandered , I run away from anything that kills me 5 times in a row and go in another direction.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Gotta say, Hogwarts Legacy is Elden Ring combat "done right". :)

Wow the animations aren't sluggish and too long? You can interrupt them? What a concept.

• 3WTF
  • 1Cringe
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I was so busy getting lost in this game that I didn’t even think to stress about the lift or the two medallion pieces. I’m sure I got one and then 10 hours later found the lift and then 10 hours after that found the other medallion piece and then probably forgot the lift even existed. Most of the game for me wasn’t so much, how was I supposed to know about this? And more, holy shit this exists and is a thing? That’s fucking amazing.