Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Where you're not making any sense is acting like "skipping" mobs is some kind of inscrutable secret that you have to learn exactly how to do in whatever area you're in.

Sometimes if you're having trouble it's easier to skip the mobs rather than attempt to fight them. Case fucking closed.

Context matters. The player I was advising to use the HARD SKIPS (tm) is running in circles in a "white out" falling off cliffs.

If you think he's going to fight his way to first boss Hailgtree, let's get that on the record right now. A soft skip ain't gonna cut it for that boy.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Context matters. The player I was advising to use the HARD SKIPS (tm) is running in circles in a "white out" falling off cliffs.

If you think he's going to fight his way to first boss Hailgtree, let's get that on the record right now. A soft skip ain't gonna cut it for that boy.

He may or may not "fight" his way to the first boss, but I'll go on record saying he'll figure it out with some combination of fighting and running without looking up some arcane codified 'hard skip.'

You're fuckin' weird, man.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

I have no idea what you're even talking about with "skips", but the Haligtree isn't all that complicated.

Why anyone would need a guide to tell them "Keep going down, Stupid" is beyond me

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
To be clear, I wasn't quitting the game. I kept stopping to fight mobs and getting turned around. Even with the overlay map as some guide I kept running into what appeared to be a deep crevasse. Not sure as I didn't want to jump in to find out I go splat. Plan is to attack it more tonight. Going in blind. If I do get to the fuck it phase, then I'll consult a guide or at least a map. Game is way too fun to ruin with spoilers.

Also, is there a max level cap and if so what is it? I'm in the 230s now. Been dumping all my extra souls in faith for buffs.

I ended up at level 265 when I was done with the game and that was on like NG+++...so 230 is super high for a first run. Most people probably beat the game at 160, give or take 20. At 265 I had every stat I wanted, as high as I wanted em. Could have maybe gone up to 300 just to fully max those out but it was diminishing returns already.

The actual level cap is something like 800 (whatever puts you at 99 in every stat). There was someone, either here or on some other board, who was saying that he was gonna grind up to max level in either this game or one of the other From games, while staying fairly early in the game. Someone did the math to determine it'd take him like 1200 hours, and he just sort of plowed ahead with it anyway. Wonder what happened to that guy.

The entire Haligtree area (plus Consecrated Snowfield) is basically a DLC expansion that we got for free. Similar scope to Artorias of the Abyss, I think. The hardest boss in the game by far is at the end of it. Personally I'd leave that for right before the final boss when you're running around doing everything you missed.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Its a From Software game. You need a guide just to figure out how to get out of the starting area half the time

• 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Hmm I never used a guide or skips in Haligtree and got through it all. What skips are you talking about, like just running past some enemies? I ended up running down the branches to get away from the bubble mobs but that’s hardly something I would call a ‘skip’ that I needed someone to tell me to do, I just got tired of their shit and ran by.

• 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea what you're even talking about with "skips", but the Haligtree isn't all that complicated.

Why anyone would need a guide to tell them "Keep going down, Stupid" is beyond me

I didn't need a guide for Haligtree either. Got lost a couple times in terms of hitting a dead end and having to look around for another route, but it's basically just "head downward" for the whole thing.

I think "Keep going down, stupid" is what my first girlfriend used to tell me when she was teaching me how to sex

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Hmm I never used a guide or skips in Haligtree and got through it all. What skips are you talking about, like just running past some enemies? I ended up running down the branches to get away from the bubble mobs but that’s hardly something I would call a ‘skip’ that I needed someone to tell me to do, I just got tired of their shit and ran by.

If I had the time and talent to make funny animated youtube videos, these "hard skips" would be a pretty funny subject.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
The only three stats that exist in a FromSoft game are STR, VIT, and STA in that order. Nothing else matters.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only three stats that exist in a FromSoft game are STR, VIT, and STA in that order. Nothing else matters.
Having played different builds, the magic builds destroy the str builds. So much more versatile. Bad advice for someone that doesn’t understand From memes

• 2Faggotry
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Depends on what game you're talking about.

Souls 2 has Attunement and Adaptability which both add to the non-levelable Agility stat, which determines your iFrames. Your roll starts out significantly worse than Souls 1's roll, then as Agility levels up, it evens out, and eventually I think it's better than Souls 1's roll. Kind of unwieldy and I'm glad this is the only From game that ties iFrames to a stat as far as I know.

In Elden Ring the most important stat is HP/Vigor. Period. I've advised new people to spend their first 20-30 levels on Vigor even, maybe even more than that. After Vigor, second is whatever your chosen damage output is, whether it's Str, Dex, Int, or Faith. Also helps to drop a few points in Str to get it to 16 to use the Brass Shield. Obtainable in the first hour and I used it for most of the game, right up until I stopped using shields. And then third stat of importance is Endurance. Then you're good. Unless you're a caster, then you want Mind third and Endurance fourth.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Depends on what game you're talking about.

Souls 2 has Attunement and Adaptability which both add to the non-levelable Agility stat, which determines your iFrames. Your roll starts out significantly worse than Souls 1's roll, then as Agility levels up, it evens out, and eventually I think it's better than Souls 1's roll. Kind of unwieldy and I'm glad this is the only From game that ties iFrames to a stat as far as I know.

In Elden Ring the most important stat is HP/Vigor. Period. I've advised new people to spend their first 20-30 levels on Vigor even, maybe even more than that. After Vigor, second is whatever your chosen damage output is, whether it's Str, Dex, Int, or Faith. Also helps to drop a few points in Str to get it to 16 to use the Brass Shield. Obtainable in the first hour and I used it for most of the game, right up until I stopped using shields. And then third stat of importance is Endurance. Then you're good. Unless you're a caster, then you want Mind third and Endurance fourth.

Vigor is trash. Shields are trash. Rolling is trash.

Nothing can hurt you if it's getting its face bashed in by 2 gigantic abominations

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
Vigor is trash. Shields are trash. Rolling is trash.

Nothing can hurt you if it's getting its face bashed in by 2 gigantic abominations
This is the way!

That's been my playstyle pretty much. Spam L1 the AoE spell on one of my colossus greatswords until the mob gets close enough to smack with both colossus greatswords (L2). Laugh , rinse , repeat when I die.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
This is the way!

That's been my playstyle pretty much. Spam L1 the AoE spell on one of my colossus greatswords until the mob gets close enough to smack with both colossus greatswords (L2). Laugh , rinse , repeat when I die.

alasia-cry.gif

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This is the way!

I think you have those buttons backwards, but yes! Colossus smash!

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
The Zelda tier lists had me laughing. Haven’t watched others yet but I will, good shit.

"Also more than four kings can spawn which is stupid as shit for a fight called the four kings. If numbers don't mean anything anymore then I'm 8 inches."

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
Malenia dead first try! I only almost died because I accidentally changed my right hand sword trying to drink a health potion.

In fact the crystal ladies (usually 3 together) were harder as I could hardly do any damage. Lighting the 4 fires with those never-miss bowmen was harder than the tree.

Damn my hands are killing me from death clenching my controller. That was intense! Wow this game is fun!

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users