Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You guys got it half right. The main big bad is in that promo shot, but its not the woman. Its fucking Torrent, the most dangerous boss monster in the history of Souls games. That worthless fucking horse has gotten me killed more than any other enemy by a factor of ten. Torrent is the real big bad of the Elden Ring series, sent by Miquilla to kill off any Tarnished before they can become Lord. Why do you think that fucker is not around when you take on Elden Beast?

• 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
You can sell them or dump them in storage. I always store one of everything, I’m a collector in these games. I almost never go back and use them but if you do change builds you’ll want to get stuff out of storage versus a new game + most likely. Either way, doesn’t really matter.

Also, know that Haligtree is optional, if you start to hate it. I hated it but did it, I did leave for a while though because it was getting frustrating and just came back later.
I may bail , I assumed the disc that said it takes you to Haligtree, and the map that said Haligtree was the zone/map NOT running around in a fucking white out blizzard. Whomever thought this was a good design choice needs their nuts kicked up into their chin.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I may bail , I assumed the disc that said it takes you to Haligtree, and the map that said Haligtree was the zone/map NOT running around in a fucking white out blizzard. Whomever thought this was a good design choice needs their nuts kicked up into their chin.
The white out blizzard section is main story related, required to run through, and doesn’t last long. Haligtree starts literally on tree branches.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Rajaah Rajaah

In Europe you can order the designer version legally.

Not expensive, you buy it from an officially registered company, and yes, yes it does work.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also, know that Haligtree is optional, if you start to hate it. I hated it but did it, I did leave for a while though because it was getting frustrating and just came back later.

You shouldn't do Hailgtree without a walkthrough. Even with a walkthrough it takes time and skill.

• 2Picard
  • 2Faggotry
  • 1Cringe
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh you sweet summer child, you only just entered the lower section of the snowfield?

Haligtree is two whole dungeons worth of bullshit after that lmao. You gotta do it though, you'll hate every second of it but the city in the second part of the dungeon is incredible, as is the final boss.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gross dude wtf. It wasn’t that bad, just annoying.

Not exactly true. DrDisrespect gave it a try offstream and decided against doing it live. It's the first zone with hard skips built into it and if you don't know where they are, I don't see how you are going to figure that out if you are stuck in a "White out" which is a main zone and about to quit the game?

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh you sweet summer child, you only just entered the lower section of the snowfield?

Haligtree is two whole dungeons worth of bullshit after that lmao. You gotta do it though, you'll hate every second of it but the city in the second part of the dungeon is incredible, as is the final boss.

Yeah I should have specified. It's just the start of Hailgtree I'm referring to.

Once actually inside the main city there's nothing different than any other area of the game. I guess he could grind through it knowing that once he's firmly inside it's just normal Ring again.

Still I don't think a guy caught in a "White out" is going to figure out the hard skips at the start of Hailgtree. Just doesn't jive at all.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Echoing what is said here, the first part of the Halligtree is pure Fuck You. Run past it to the first grace, as there is nothing unique of value that is worth the headache. Of course if you have Heima Cannon, its a lot easier, but the bubble fuckers still can facefuck you from miles away with their autotracking horse shit. The lower you get, the tougher the enemies, but the less the environmental screwover becomes. Plus the place is a gold mine of resources (3 Somber Dragon Stones can be obtained here, among other very good unique items and talismans) you will want. The last boss is a mixed bag and worth one item (if you are high Dex or High Faith) and a Somber Dragon Stone, so skipping her is fine. The rest of the place, particularly the run between the first boss and the drainage, is loaded with goodies.

The good news is that you can put it off as long as you want, even past the end of the game if its pissing you off that much. Don't slack on the snow mountain areas, though. There is way too much stuff for ALL builds to just skip over it. And its actually pretty fun outside of the snowblind dragon boss. Fire Giant seems rough, but it is doable by nearly any build, especially if you keep up on Alexander's quest or have Poop Man as a summon.

I would follow Ranni and Fia's questlines to the end before tackling either, however.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
To be clear, I wasn't quitting the game. I kept stopping to fight mobs and getting turned around. Even with the overlay map as some guide I kept running into what appeared to be a deep crevasse. Not sure as I didn't want to jump in to find out I go splat. Plan is to attack it more tonight. Going in blind. If I do get to the fuck it phase, then I'll consult a guide or at least a map. Game is way too fun to ruin with spoilers.

Also, is there a max level cap and if so what is it? I'm in the 230s now. Been dumping all my extra souls in faith for buffs.

• 1Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
To be clear, I wasn't quitting the game. I kept stopping to fight mobs and getting turned around. Even with the overlay map as some guide I kept running into what appeared to be a deep crevasse. Not sure as I didn't want to jump in to find out I go splat. Plan is to attack it more tonight. Going in blind. If I do get to the fuck it phase, then I'll consult a guide or at least a map. Game is way too fun to ruin with spoilers.

Also, is there a max level cap and if so what is it? I'm in the 230s now. Been dumping all my extra souls in faith for buffs.

Damn son. No there's no cap, but the cost keeps ramping up exponentially and each stat has soft caps, so effective cap on level is probably around 300-350 where you're getting almost nothing from it anymore.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Even that is subjective if you are using certain items as core parts of your build. The Death Magic staff is ludicrously good if your INT and FAI are both high and similar value. Same with the Golden Order Seal. Same with a number of weapons. But you still need other stats to meet minimums for items and survivability. Its actually a pretty good balancing act. I have broomed the game about five or six times now, clearing everything I can. Depending on how much I repeat and how much I put myself in the summon pool, I tend to end the first play at around 160-190, which is usually enough for any focused build. Casters I would argue need more levels, but they also tend to die less and can farm runes faster if needed.

I am finding that really you aim for certain minimums in the early game, then focus on two stats, then bring the general stats in line (35-40 Vit, 36 Mind, 15 END) and then dump in whatever for fun (faith as a pure int caster, Arc or Dex for pretty much anyone else). Diminishing returns kick in, but generally only on offensive output. Defense is what everyone neglects and that keeps climbing, even if only by being able to slot better armor. Way too many in this game are focused on the alpha strike, which are also the people who struggle with fights like the Fire Giant and the last bosses.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

The white-out zone doesn't go on for long at least.

The worst place in the whole game is the little town right before you ascend from the snow field to the Haligtree. Invisible assassin enemies, archers that can snipe you from across the town with pinpoint accuracy when you try to go across the rooftops. It's ER's equivalent of that one part of Souls 1 with the archers that snipe you off the narrow walkways in Anor Londo.

You guys got it half right. The main big bad is in that promo shot, but its not the woman. Its fucking Torrent, the most dangerous boss monster in the history of Souls games. That worthless fucking horse has gotten me killed more than any other enemy by a factor of ten. Torrent is the real big bad of the Elden Ring series, sent by Miquilla to kill off any Tarnished before they can become Lord. Why do you think that fucker is not around when you take on Elden Beast?

I'm surprised Established Titles hasn't run a "Become Elden Lord" deal where they sell people a "square foot of land" in the Lands Between.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

You'll figure the snow shit out without too much trouble as it's intuitive.

The problem with the Hailgtree skips is they aren't exactly intuitive and require intimate knowledge. I'm quoting this for posterity, as I think ultimately I'll be right and you won't make it inside the city area of Hailgtree without coaching/guide consulting for the 2nd skip. You might figure the first skip out on your own. The 2nd and 3rd skip (technically there is only a second major skip, but some would say there is a 3rd major skip depending) aren't intuitive at all and are gigantic in size. As I mentioned some of the biggest gamers couldn't really figure it out without getting some pointers. There's no other area of the game with hard skips built in. The 2nd skip is so big I consider it a design flaw, because it's completely out of line with the rest of the game, even if you do figure it out.

Give it your best shot. Some of the biggest names in gaming skipped Hailgtree entirely since it didn't make good content for streaming due to the completely retarded skips required to get inside. If it was just 1 skip that's one thing, anyone can do the first skip. This isn't just about the first tree branch skip.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Man, I'm sorry, but it's nowhere near as hard or crazy as you're making it out to be. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any "skips" in the Haligtree and had no advance knowledge. I'm one of those people that clears all the mobs between each grace (the first time, anyway).

• 2Like

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Man, I'm sorry, but it's nowhere near as hard or crazy as you're making it out to be. I'm pretty sure I didn't do any "skips" in the Haligtree and had no advance knowledge. I'm one of those people that clears all the mobs between each grace (the first time, anyway).

Yeah what the fuck is he talking about? HARD SKIPS YO

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If you didn't do any skips you're in the minority. Pretty much everyone skipped that shit to first boss to get back to playing Ring again.

Streamers wouldn't even stream Hailgtree. Again it's been quoted for posterity for that reason-- we'll see how it goes for him.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If you didn't do any skips you're in the minority. Pretty much everyone skipped that shit to first boss to get back to playing Ring again.

Streamers wouldn't even stream Hailgtree. Again it's been quoted for posterity for that reason-- we'll see how it goes for him.

Where you're not making any sense is acting like "skipping" mobs is some kind of inscrutable secret that you have to learn exactly how to do in whatever area you're in.

Sometimes if you're having trouble it's easier to skip the mobs rather than attempt to fight them. Case fucking closed.