Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
will have to try this tomorrow.

Who knew it could be just a matter of hitting the turbo button?
This made a difference for me, it got rid of the stuttering I’d see in battle. I still see some frame dips when it loads a big new area.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and bought the Bastard Sword for 3000 souls (or two levels worth at this point). Thing wrecks, and functions just like it does in other Souls games. Gonna look for more shards to upgrade it, probably buy the Fireball equivalent from that hub area too. So I guess my Wretch is going to be a knight-pyromancer deal. Also got to what I think is the first real boss, the huge dude who throws energy lances and then summons an energy hammer halfway through the fight. I tried it a few times and always lost once he went into the second phase. Gonna get some more levels tomorrow (er, later today) and try again. Bastard Sword seems to draw equally from Str and Dex (which are 17 and 10 respectively) so I guess I'll start pumping Dex up now. Hopefully I don't find something super-OP that only uses Str any time soon...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Its so insane how a ps5 for 500$ can optimize a game so much better than a 4,000$ PC in 2022.

I get the complexity of having to optimize for an infinite number of different PC set-ups, which is eliminated with consoles, but its crazy to see people with 3080's and beastly CPU's having to run a fucking game in windowed mode.

Can someone quickly explain the way the multiplayer aspect works? I dont have much experience in Souls games, I understand the basics of invading and cooperative play, but what is the reason for it? Is it there just to allow players to get help against certain encounters? Are there any benefits or consequences for invading some ones game? How does that even work, do you just randomly get paired with other people or do you pick?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I use a single pedal and a triple pedal from iKKEGOL

I got these when I went back to GW2 to switch fire/water/lightning/earth constantly on my elementalist. Has turned out to be a huge benefit for other games too. I use them to alleviate having to hold down buttons or replace really busy and repetitive button presses. In ER right now I'm using left foot for dodgeroll and right foot for crouch / jump.

I use an xbox 360 controller on my left hand and a Logitech G600 on my right hand.
I've bounced between mouse/kb and gamepad on previous dark souls games, this is the first time I've committed to doing both and it's amazing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I am just wandering around Limgrave. I found a glintstone staff and a scroll for it but I am assuming I need to find an NPC to teach it to me?

That smoke bear scared the piss out of me and then proceeded to wreck me. I did kill the Erdtree Knight easily. The dual boss in that Coastal Cave I haven't figured out yet. Rocking a greatsword and a shield I found. Will be STR/INT with whatever spells I end up liking.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I got these when I went back to GW2 to switch fire/water/lightning/earth constantly on my elementalist. Has turned out to be a huge benefit for other games too. I use them to alleviate having to hold down buttons or replace really busy and repetitive button presses. In ER right now I'm using left foot for dodgeroll and right foot for crouch / jump.

I use an xbox 360 controller on my left hand and a Logitech G600 on my right hand.
I've bounced between mouse/kb and gamepad on previous dark souls games, this is the first time I've committed to doing both and it's amazing.
This is definitely unique setup. But I like the idea of it.

I just use a Xbox controller.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Can we get a picture of you playing with all these devices? In my head it’s hilarious.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can we get a picture of you playing with all these devices? In my head it’s hilarious.
Because I know you're thinking it. Found a pic of Tuco playing Elden Ring.

1645797570637.png

• 16Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 16 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Anyone else preorder from Best Buy and still not get their digital code yet? Or is the official release still a few hours out?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is definitely unique setup. But I like the idea of it.

I just use a Xbox controller.
Yeah I played DS2/3 with an xbox 360 controller. It's fine. I like being able to look around with a mouse and I hate switching between having camera control (right joystick) and all my ABXY actions.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Sure. It's more boring than you think tho. I just have an xbox controller in my lap and my feet on a couple of pedals. The pedals aren't really necessary because of how minimal the dark souls controls are. Elite Dangerous, GW2 etc take advantage of them more.

The crazier versions of this approach are

hori1-1152x864.jpg

IMG_2147-cdfa2e8e36b005e729b7b0fa94d5909a.JPG

Which I don't see a need to buy.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don’t know anything about this since I’m on ps5, but looks like it might fix a bunch of the pc issues?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I played for 20 mins before bed last night. I had some stuttering issues but I’ve read online that this is caused by DX12 building it’s shader cache. I had awful screen tearing but evidently going borderless window or enabling global vsync in Nvidia Control Panel fixes this.

As for gameplay I immediately hit the beach once arriving in Limgrave. I fought some of those tentacle monsters (fitting since I weeb’d out and chose a Samurai) before heading down the coast and finding a cave with a Ornstein and Smough style boss fight with a bunch of small adds baked in too. 10/10

Last edited:

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Still no digital code for me...some dude on Reddit said they spoke with someone from Best Buy and they were told to expect emailed digital codes within 24-48 hours... Going to be a little pissed if it takes that long, especially since my boss just gave me the rest of the day off since I had a late deployment last night.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Sure. It's more boring than you think tho. I just have an xbox controller in my lap and my feet on a couple of pedals. The pedals aren't really necessary because of how minimal the dark souls controls are. Elite Dangerous, GW2 etc take advantage of them more.

The crazier versions of this approach are

hori1-1152x864.jpg

IMG_2147-cdfa2e8e36b005e729b7b0fa94d5909a.JPG

Which I don't see a need to buy.
Lol what the fuck is that thing.