Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I play games on hard not on extreme.

The whole point of my post is that Margrit is too hard for the first main boss when you just try to use regular dodge and sword and board. Goddamn aspies getting rustled up over a point I’m not even trying to make. I honestly don’t care how you play or what guides you look up for assist. Margrit is gonna be a huge problem for many normies. Honestly, how well do you think normies learn to parry before Margrit?

I disagree, while Ima huge Souls fan in general, I'm far from the best at these games. I make sure I kill all bosses myself in melee form, but some of them have easily taken me 30+ tries.

Margit's second phase seemed terrible until I slowly learned it, and I didnt parry nor guard break. It really just comes down to learning the moves and timing. With this game theres a ton of other things to do if you get frustrated and I've found sooooo many gold runes at cemetaries as well as golden skulls on the ground that leveling up, especially in early game, is easier than ever.
This game is both one of the hardest, while also one of the most accessible, and I sincerely hope it gets more people hooked like I am.

At this point I'm almost tempted to say I'm looking forward to an Elden ring sequel before a bloodborne and that says a lot.

Edit: I will say, once you beat Margit I'd think the castle itself will kill you more than Godrick, he is stronger but overall slower and telegraphs more easily.

nu_11

Edit: I will say, once you beat Margit I'd think the castle itself will kill you more than Godrick, he is stronger but overall slower and telegraphs more easily.
Ya Godrick only took a couple of tries before I got his moves down. He was much easier than Margrit. But I think some people told me it was the opposite for them: no problem with Margrit but tough time on Godrick… weird.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I oneshot Margit, then spent probably 50 tries and several grinding sessions elsewhere before I finally beat Godrick at like level 40 lol. Dude was such a fucking blood pig and took no damage from sorcery at all so I had to just chip him down with my crappy longsword.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
You aren’t interested in battlemage build? I finally found some Int scaling swords.

Well that was the plan sure, but then I've spent like 12 hours in the first few areas and in Stormveil with no ability to use any weapons due to lack of stats, and no INT scaling on the weapons I can use, so the whole thing is just frustrating. I'm like level 42 now with uh, 10 vitality? Because I've had to invest everything else in to str/dex to meet requirements, and the damage payoff with sorcery for investing in int is just not there at all yet.

I could load up all my flasks to mana and spam Godrick with spells until I ran completely dry and it would barely even take him to phase 2. None of it does any damage to bosses at all. Sure it can fucking lawnmower down packs of regular enemies, but that can be done a billion ways, and then when you do hit bosses/minibosses you're a complete cuck.

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
I must have spent too much time doing side stuff and upgrading my weapons, I one-shot both Margit and Godrick, killed them both so fast neither one went into phase two.

Using the tree sentinel guys axe at +5.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 4 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
God this game is amazing. Bailed on Stormveil after beating Margit then ran around the south area for a while. Cleared out Morne and just found a bunch of smaller dungeons and bosses there. I do think the south area is easier area to start out at; gained some levels and plan to finish off Stormveil tonight.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So much for being near the end...two huge areas opened up. If they are as dense as the other areas I got a fuck ton more to do.

• 1Worf

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If you're hurting for runes/levels, this is some seriously easy cheese.

Bleh, that’s ridiculous. You should at least have to fight for your runes.

Spoiler for hilarious moment in Raya Lucardia
Was lost after killing red wolf guy and going rooftop hopping... found a shortcut ladder that doesn’t really help as it just leads to an item and not forward progression.
Anyway I rode the wheel lift down all the way and got deposited in some shallow water, only to hear the ominous sound of one of those mobile torture machines of nightmares roll up to me and grab me and put me inside. I’m thinking ok, that was funny, it was literally 1 second before he grabbed me, comical timing.

Then just when I’m expecting a corpse run, I’m teleported to volcano manor? Holy random nonsense Batman.

• 1Edgelord

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't want to be a dick but I think we should approach this. If you ever intend to play this game you need to go in dark. There is so much awe and amazing if you don't know whats coming its unbelievable.

Seriously never click on spoilers. Ever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't want to be a dick but I think we should approach this. If you ever intend to play this game you need to go in dark. There is so much awe and amazing if you don't know whats coming its unbelievable.

Really? I was planning on waiting a few months until a 100% walkthrough is created.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I’m one who feels like it kinda sucks, I’ve never seen it poison anyone. I use it because it usually lasts the longest in a fight since it’s not getting in melee range. Maybe if there were two so the poison would trigger before the fights over I’d think it was cool. Or even if it triggered a little easier. Is there a way to upgrade the summons?

Upgrading the summons requires talking to that red-hooded chick at the Stormhill Shack (IIRC, one of those shacks). She gives you something in the early game...the jellyfish maybe? In any case, you talk to her until she moves to the nexus (she does it automatically after a while, so if she isn't at the shack, she may already be in the nexus). Then you talk to her by the nexus fireplace, and talk to the blacksmith, and go back and forth between them until he agrees to take her as an apprentice (her saying she'll ask him isn't enough, you have to go talk to him again). Then leave and go back like 10-20 minutes later (dunno how it works, I just went back a few minutes later) and she'll be sitting across from the blacksmith and doing summon upgrades.

However you need some particular mat for summon upgrades and it is only found in catacombs. I guess I missed all the catacombs because I don't have any yet, meh.

They basically made parrying obsolete with the addition of guard counters. No need for perfect timing, no useless skill on your shield cockblocking the awesome one on your weapon, and guard counter staggers so much that a good chunk of the time you end up with the same opening for a critical attack afterwards. Only time parrying is better is against super fast enemies that go back on offense while you're winding up the counter attack.

Definitely don't sweat it for [1] and [2] upgrades. I would be careful about upgrading unique weapons (somber stones) past +6 though, not sure how much of a source there is for those at [3]+.

Finding the source for [2]'s was such a relief. My uchigatana instantly went from +5 to +13.

What's the source for (2's)?

I found the giant blacksmith who sells somber stones, think I'm gonna spend the next few levels buying those and upgrading the Golden Halberd.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Main thing I don't want to be spoiled on is the map size. Cause the map keeps getting bigger every time I think I've reached the edge of it, and now I have no clue where it ends. It's a crazy feeling to get from a game in this day and age.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Upgrading the summons requires talking to that red-hooded chick at the Stormhill Shack (IIRC, one of those shacks). She gives you something in the early game...the jellyfish maybe? In any case, you talk to her until she moves to the nexus (she does it automatically after a while, so if she isn't at the shack, she may already be in the nexus). Then you talk to her by the nexus fireplace, and talk to the blacksmith, and go back and forth between them until he agrees to take her as an apprentice (her saying she'll ask him isn't enough, you have to go talk to him again). Then leave and go back like 10-20 minutes later (dunno how it works, I just went back a few minutes later) and she'll be sitting across from the blacksmith and doing summon upgrades.

However you need some particular mat for summon upgrades and it is only found in catacombs. I guess I missed all the catacombs because I don't have any yet, meh.
The mat is in stormveil castle.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I havent used my smithing stones at all yet. Trying to find a weapon I like in Limgrave that I really want to upgrade. might be required here sooner or later though.

Golden Halberd from the first open world boss (can be jousted down without too much trouble) seems to be a great weapon...and doesn't use smithing stones to upgrade. I used my smithing stones on the Bastard Sword I've been using the whole time and now I'm switching to Golden Halberd and using somber stones for that. I've got the Bastard Sword to fall back on if I need something a little quicker. Point is, you can beef up a low-tier weapon and be fine because most of the spicier weapons use somber stones.

I found a Crystal Sword somewhere that looks really cool (sorta like the Blueblood's Sword from Demon's) and runs off of int, so that'd be great for a caster.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Im still in Limgrave lol.

Only 7 hours in though. lvl 15

• 1Like

Talos

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Haven't followed the release...is it running well for the most part for PC? Any reason to wait?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Finally got Margit down, he literally died after he killed me (Think poison finished him or I countered on his killing blow). Luckily it counted and I didn't have to fight him again or I was going to be pissed

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Razzes

Trakanon Raider
Gascoigne isn’t nearly as tanky as Margrit.

Random chance based on length of fight means you have a better shot at killing Gascoigne before he kills you when compared to fighting Margrit.
This. You could kill that dude just by getting lucky. Technically you can almost do the same to margit and get a lucky kill with staggers without mastering his moveset

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Quest spoilers
This is deep in an optional possible secret area, past the twin gargoyles. I gave Fia the other side of the death mark thing after saying I am against the order and let her hold me again. She told me some disturbing shit and gave me an upgrade Poise rune, feels like an important decision and branching path but no idea. If anyone does the opposite let me know what happens.