Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Ok finally got the game and have been playing for about two hours. Started with the wretched class and I found the bandit camp with the flail and longsword. I guess I'll sit here for a few and farm them until I feel confident enough to move on.

When the game starts off and you face off with the grafted(sp?) scion I think he hit me and the screen just blacked out and I woke in pool of water. Did I miss a cut scene or something? It felt like the game glitched out or working as intended?

Thats what happens assuming Melania talked to you with the horse.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Shit I can feel my fuck ups already, wonder if I can salvage this quest but likely too late. Hopefully a walkthrough is avail for NG+ because holy shit this is complicated.

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
I spent quite a bit of time on him today using my two hand Angel Wing scythe. Got to where I can pretty much regularly get him down to his phase with the tail, but the spin move covers so much ground it was getting hard to poke and roll. I can say that after him Leonine was a breeze.
If you dodge his flying move just be ready to dodge the 2 tail whips afterwards and it isnt too bad. I just couldn't find time to attack him without the parry window, great longsword was too slow 90% of the time.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Shit I can feel my fuck ups already, wonder if I can salvage this quest but likely too late. Hopefully a walkthrough is avail for NG+ because holy shit this is complicated.
I fucked up on
Patches. Just wild strike flailed him to death and didn't realize I wasn't supposed to kill him until I looked him up later.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Killed the 1st boss finally. Unfortunately I think it bugged out because the door to Emil to turn in for an axe isn’t open and I cannot find a reward in mg inventory either. :(

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If you like to feel less chessy and work for the kills the that dragon bridge bonfire is connected to a large area that you can stealth bs those assassins for 1k per pop and there are lots of them running around. Works out roughly the same imo
This. I raked in tons of Runes and the assassin derps were easy to smoke with a L12 Wretch with the heater shield and halberd. Guard counter completely wrecks them.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
30 attempts and counting on the crucible knight now.

Once again sorcery has completely cucked me. He blocks all ranged sorcery, I couldn't do even a third of his health bar if I got to stand there and just spam him with every one of my mana flasks.

Don't roll sorcery, just don't. It's actually making me hate this fucking game so much because 70% of my character is useless the second you are dealing with any kind of harder enemy. You're reduced to a completely gimped sword/rapier character on basically every boss and it's fucking awful.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I don't want to be a dick but I think we should approach this. If you ever intend to play this game you need to go in dark. There is so much awe and amazing if you don't know whats coming its unbelievable.

Seriously never click on spoilers. Ever.

I got randomly ported somewhere a little while ago and ended up in this royal palace that looks like the Blood Elf starting area from WoW, with leaves falling and stuff. I never stop being blown away by this game, and I've got no interest in knowing when it ends or how many areas there are or whatnot...this is the sort of experience you get like once in a decade if you're lucky.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Parry can be cheesing too. DS1 Gwyn can be parried but he's a joke of a fight if you parry. Imagine if DS3 Nameless King was parryable, it would make him a MUCH easier boss.

"BuT iTs NoT cHeEsE iF iTs In ThE gAmE. iTs InTeNdEd." Summons, shields, parries, stagger cheese, overleveling are all there to provide adjustable difficulty for those that need it. They are in-game options of adjusting the game from hard mode to normal to easy.

I haven't fought Margit as dodge+parry but purely dodging takes too long to kill him. This is coming from someone who solos DS3 Midir as a pyromancer using 1-h weapon (which we all know is a pretty long fight and, unfortunate for me, dragons are resistant to fire) but Midir is a fair fight at that point in the game.

Shut the fuck up

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I found my way out of Liurnia the back way, haven't even finished half the zone yet or even unlocked Raya Lucaria. Whoops, Altus Plateau sure is pretty though.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I fucked up on
Patches. Just wild strike flailed him to death and didn't realize I wasn't supposed to kill him until I looked him up later.

I let Patches live... but I have this nagging feeling it was a mistake lol. I did murder one NPC named Yura when I was killing stuff in a narrow valley on the horse, had no expectation an NPC would be there so I hit and aggroed her and by the rules of past Souls games, once aggro always aggro unless you spend a god-awful amount of effort to be forgiven so I just snapped her neck and hoped nobody else saw it. Dropped a katana of some sort.

• 1Worf

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
L60 now am still using the goldenberg paired with brass shield and shield barricade ash. The faith req is nice to access fireball. That thing has so much reach...
I've been trying to replace that weapon but it's just too good. I spent at least 20 hours just randomly exploring, got trapped in those magic crystal caves and ended up with all the mats I needed to take it to +5 so far and it's crazy how deadly it is on horseback. Those giant crabs die in 2 hits, most 'giant' enemies die in 3 or 4 hits and against slower enemies holding down L2 or R2 does a crazy wind up attack that one shots virtually every normal enemy there is. I gotta think they're going to nerf it considering how early it can be acquired.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Okay, so I downloaded the game on Friday, played for a few hours, then was gone until today. Friday, everything was fine. Game ran smoothly (although, even on the highest settings I thought the graphics were a little lackluster, but whatever). So today I log in, the game is running so poorly, I can barely move. The only time I can get the game to run smoothly, is when I'm looking at the ground. Tried to fight through the frame rate issues, only to realize all of the enemies in the game are now invisible (yup, you read that correctly, invisible). Then I got the message, "Frame rate unsuitable for online play" and the game would crash. So I read everything on how to fix this issue online. I downloaded the latest drivers, switched the graphics setting to "high performance," turned off the Steam overlay, turned the vertical sync to on, and about a half dozen other "fixes." Nothing has helped. Before anyone says anything, my specs are Intel i7 11,700K processor, Nvidia GTX 3080 graphics card, Samsung EVO 970 NVMe 500gig, and 16 gig G Skill Ripjaw RAM. So it definitely is NOT my computer. I am going to try and reinstall the game, but at this point, I'm pretty pissed off about all of this. Obviously, this was an issue even before launch, and they didn't care to fix it for PC users. The fact that a AAA title would be launched on PC with this serious of a frame rate issue is inexcusable, and it's obviously a serious problem, because the company has issued a statement that they know it's an issue on PC. Also, how the fuck in 2022 is a game capped at fucking 60fps??? But I guess at this point I would kill for 60fps.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is it known what the soft caps for stats is in this right now?

Going to guess 50 for HP and Str per usual, unsure about the others. I'm at 47 Str now so pretty soon I'll be able to find out if I'm right.

Has anyone found any remotely hot outfits for a female character yet? I know this isn't Code Vein or anything, but I was able to find a couple of decently sexy outfits in Demon's Souls Remastered. Right now my character is rocking a chain mail dress and looks like a homely Russian woman. It's sexy by 1300's England slum standards but I'm hoping to find something a little nicer for her to wear at some point, maybe a dress or something that actually shows a shoulder.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Before we begin, I suck at this game so take my complaints with a grain of salt.

I went sorcery.

pros;
  • attacking stuff at range
  • killing mini bosses at range because they are not resistant to sorcery
  • using Gemstone Arc to hit multiple enemies at once when they are close together
cons;
  • Many mobs, especially bosses, kill you in two hits which fucking sucks
  • It takes 2 shots minimum to kill most enemies which means in places like Stormveil Castle mana/fp management fucking sucks
  • Having to split your flasks between healing and mana recovery
  • I have only just finished clearing Stormveil and am still forced to use the 2 starting spells because every other spell I have found fucking sucks (I have just gotten a couple new spells I haven't had the chance to try out yet, though)
  • Using ash to make your weapon do magic damage and scale off INT is all well and good but you still hit like a wet noodle and anything that is magic resistant or hardened fucking sucks to fight
  • Can't play around with weapons because you don't have the stats to equip anything
  • because you need to invest so many points into INT to reduce the number of casts to kill anything all your other stats suffer
  • you are stuck using shitty armour because you can't afford to go above med encumbrance and into fat rolling
  • enemies, especially npc invaders and those guys in those circle things, dodge your casts which fucking sucks
  • Faster moving enemies, like birds, are hard to hit with your casts and you may end up missing which fucking sucks
  • Your casts' range is difficult to gauge because lock on range is like 50% further than cast range so you may end up casting a few shots at something only to have it dissipate millimetres away from the enemy which fucking sucks
  • Casting on Torrent in combat against anything that moves faster than a snail fucking sucks.
  • there is a wind up when you cast and if you get hit you stop casting which fucking sucks
  • Almost everything kills you in two hits, I mention this twice because this is the one that is making me consider restarting as melee and it fucking sucks.
Parts of the game are roflsnort easy mode and other part are hair pulling levels of frustration. I know that is par for the course in a SoulsBorne game but there is a difference between dying because you mistimed one too many dodges and dying because you mistimed one dodge. The only reason I beat Margit and Godrick was because of the NPC summons available. If I hadn't of used them I think it would have taken me 4 or 5 times the number of tries it took me.

But, like I said, I suck at these games.

And yet... I stop playing and 15minutes later I want back on.

Also, I know it has been said but removing durability from the weapons was a very, very sound decision.

9/10 thus far.

30 attempts and counting on the crucible knight now.

Once again sorcery has completely cucked me. He blocks all ranged sorcery, I couldn't do even a third of his health bar if I got to stand there and just spam him with every one of my mana flasks.

Don't roll sorcery, just don't. It's actually making me hate this fucking game so much because 70% of my character is useless the second you are dealing with any kind of harder enemy. You're reduced to a completely gimped sword/rapier character on basically every boss and it's fucking awful.

Damn I really wanted to try a mage. I been watching these mage guide videos at work and they make it seem like sorcery is the tits but coming here and the majority is saying don’t do it. Did you guys use weapons like Meteorite or Demi human queens staff? Just asking before I commit.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Also, how the fuck in 2022 is a game capped at fucking 60fps??? But I guess at this point I would kill for 60fps.
I read the reason why it’s capped at 60fps is because anything higher players can abuse the game. You’ll move much faster than the monster since the frame rate and game engine is directly tied into one another. Something to that extent. I’m no programmer so that’s the best way I explain it. If I can actually find the article again I’ll post it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've been trying to replace that weapon but it's just too good. I spent at least 20 hours just randomly exploring, got trapped in those magic crystal caves and ended up with all the mats I needed to take it to +5 so far and it's crazy how deadly it is on horseback. Those giant crabs die in 2 hits, most 'giant' enemies die in 3 or 4 hits and against slower enemies holding down L2 or R2 does a crazy wind up attack that one shots virtually every normal enemy there is. I gotta think they're going to nerf it considering how early it can be acquired.

Golden Halberd is so good. I just finished getting the stats for it about an hour ago (needed 2 Faith once I decided to go all in with it) and upgraded it to +4 by buying somber stones from the giant blacksmith in the hills. Thing is doing literally 2x the damage the Bastard Sword was doing, and is only a little slower. Just need to get used to the moveset and the fact that fewer of the attacks are sweeps.

How do you unlock Raya Lucaria? I still see a barrier on the door. Gonna check out the cave north of there and the manor and see what happens. Now that I've got the Golden Halberd powered-up I expect things to be a lot easier for a while.

If you press the PS button on PS5, it brings up "The Tale of the Elden Ring" as your in-progress trophy and it says I'm 16% done with it, which I think means 16% done with the main quest. Anyone significantly far along?