Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Nola

Trakanon Raider
For someone who has never played a souls type game which one would you guys recommend to get into the genre?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For someone who has never played a souls type game which one would you guys recommend to get into the genre?
Hm. Bloodborne or DS2/DS3. I think BB has better combat, but no idea how the combat in ER will be.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Honestly dark souls 2 or 3 are the easiest in terms of combat. If you've got patience and the ability to push through the occasional anal pounding you could try bloodborne or sekiro. Kinda depends on what setting you'd prefer to in terms of aesthetic.

There isn't really a contiguous story to dark souls, so if you were to start at ds3, you wouldn't be any more lost than anybody else, except maybe Vati

Edit: as you mentioned "getting into the genre" - id say there no better light introduction to core concepts of soulsborne games than Jedi Fallen Order. Its stellar

Last edited:

kroenen

Regimen Morum
True as already mentioned that DS3 have the lowest entry barrier of the trilogy, but I would still recommend to play them in order for the lore and nostalgia.

• 2Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Holy shit that looks amazing.

I had high expectations but they surpassed them in that trailer.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

“We will continue to develop ELDEN RING not only as a game but also in a variety of other areas in order to deliver the worldview and charm of this title to our fans around the world. We look forward to your continued support.”

Wonder what other type of stuff they have planned so far.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Novels maybe? They're probably expecting to get something put out by GRRM, but little do they know...

• 5Worf
  • 1OK, Sure
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
An anime could be pretty nice, even just like 4-6OVAs that set the world before the game happens and such. Bandai Namco produces a ton of animes including for their video game IPs like God Eater and Tales. Light Novels probably too.

Anyway that trailer looked really nice. Love the references to Berserk and the scale seems much bigger than previous souls-like so very hyped about it, although it's still far away.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Novels maybe? They're probably expecting to get something put out by GRRM, but little do they know...
He might actually work on those seeing as how they aren’t ASOIAF.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The reason is money. There are 120 million ps4s out there, and like 8 million ps5s. No one is going to ignore that massive market. You won’t see companies release things solely on ps5 for another couple years probably. Unless Sony is going to pay them to, to help push systems. They’re selling so fast they don’t need to do that though.
Push what systems. You cannot buy the fucking things. Going to be years before they can reasonably do PS5 only.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Push what systems. You cannot buy the fucking things. Going to be years before they can reasonably do PS5 only.
Yeah. Even though they’re constricted they’re still breaking console sales records. The ridiculous demand is keeping them from sitting on shelves. The ps4 install base is fucking huge though so it’ll still be a while. Too much money left to be made on it still.

• 1Like

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
DS3.

Trust me on this. Elden Ring got me hyped for some replay so I loaded up DS2, played for a few minutes, then turned it off because I forgot how bad the combat felt after playing DS3/BB/Sekiro. Starting with DS3 the combat in Soulsborne games feels super tight and incredibly responsive. Going back to the older ones feels laggy.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
DS3.

Trust me on this. Elden Ring got me hyped for some replay so I loaded up DS2, played for a few minutes, then turned it off because I forgot how bad the combat felt after playing DS3/BB/Sekiro. Starting with DS3 the combat in Soulsborne games feels super tight and incredibly responsive. Going back to the older ones feels laggy.
I prefer the more aggressive style of BB, but DS3 is definitely the best of the actual souls series for combat and QoL stuff. Never really cared for sekiro, almost all aspects of it are solid but for whatever reason once I finished it I was glad it was over and have no intention of ever playing it again.

• 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
Sikero is wonderful but unlike souls you are shoe horned into one "class" of play. In souls you have a lot of ways to play

• 2Like