Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So the beast charm is interesting, was going to go faith but that charm scales faith attacks with strength as well... Just need 5 more deathroots and then we going big boy faith!

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Think I'm going to respec and lean into the dex/int life tonight. I took dex way up into the 30s and then proceeded to not get a single worthwhile dex based drop. I'm rocking the Meteor katana, which is physical/magic plus bleed, str/dex/int scaling, have it up to +5 currently. Just got Moonveil, which is a better version of the Meteor one with supposedly the best weapon skill in the game.

My hodgepodge of whatever, blind playthrough comes to somewhat of an end as I respec (instead of start over or deal with it until i make a new char) to keep progressing. Although I haven't quite figured out which fucking tower they want me to go to after Stormveil and have no idea how to break the seal for Raya Lucaria.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I think the lore in this game encourages everyone to have some kind of faith. There's seemingly what, 3 types of churches? Good / Bad / Beast ? Does Dragon worship count as another church?

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I've been thinking about why this game is so enjoyable, and I think it's because there are no quest hubs, NPC stories, whatever. It's open world RPG distilled to its purest form. There's no burden of "you just opened up this area, now go talk to these 20 village people who all need their dick sucked if you want the reward from doing the content". It's just a world with all the fun bits and not the tiresome ones. There's no buildup for the nearby dungeon from a bunch of NPC quests you are compelled to get, just the dungeon you discover and explore without preamble. I've played dozens of huge open world RPGs from Ultima to Breath of the Wild and have developed intense ennui at so much of what is in those games that ER's simplicity is a breath of fresh air.

Not every game can have this fever dream world building where there is not a living breathing world of farmers, noblemen and families with their own tribulations only you can solve, but it'd be nice if other open world devs take a hint and drop their "world-building through forced dialog" down a few pegs and use a "less is more" strategy. I can just imagine the Biowares, Bethesda, CD Projekt Red etc studios (along with all the MMORPG groups) looking at this game that has 1% of the dialog and quest NPCs as theirs and is being lauded as the greatest open world RPG and wondering whether they really need to spend so much on teams of writers and voice actors.
You nailed it, the quests give just enough information to find the next spot. Been talking to this lady I saved and she has a visible issue. Found and item and it clicked, oh yeah that lady go talk to her again, quest progression! I am beyond stoked to find out where my choices lead.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Dude that fucking Burial Dog boss with the 5 gargoyles in there with him? That one pissed me off something fierce.

That was the first one I came across and when I came back here reading about people saying how they took down the big cat statue and how easy it was and so on it was super triggering. I was like WTF are you kidding me, how am I this bad, that cat and all his adds fuck my shit up. Come to find out there's the one with no adds.

• 5Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Alright how do you get down to this thing from:

the academy roof? There's no door or fake wall or window out to it from the church of the cuckoo area that I can find, and trying to jump down there from the roof seems to be past the fall limit and just kills you:

Untitled.png

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Think I'm going to respec and lean into the dex/int life tonight. I took dex way up into the 30s and then proceeded to not get a single worthwhile dex based drop. I'm rocking the Meteor katana, which is physical/magic plus bleed, str/dex/int scaling, have it up to +5 currently. Just got Moonveil, which is a better version of the Meteor one with supposedly the best weapon skill in the game.

My hodgepodge of whatever, blind playthrough comes to somewhat of an end as I respec (instead of start over or deal with it until i make a new char) to keep progressing. Although I haven't quite figured out which fucking tower they want me to go to after Stormveil and have no idea how to break the seal for Raya Lucaria.
I'm doing dex/int build as well. My weapon is the dual blade, which is alright. Where/how do you get the meteor blade? I still haven't found sorcery spells(trying not to look too much stuff up), but I know I want to mess with casting as well, so tossing some int here and there for now.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Can you respec more than once? I think I went too dex heavy, thinking I'd be a bow user, but having to constantly farm for arrow mats is starting to get annoying.

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
Alright how do you get down to this thing from:

the academy roof? There's no door or fake wall or window out to it from the church of the cuckoo area that I can find, and trying to jump down there from the roof seems to be past the fall limit and just kills you:

View attachment 401025
I don't remember where exactly, but in that same zone, there is a talisman that makes you immune to fall damage.

• 1Mother of God

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Can you respec more than once? I think I went too dex heavy, thinking I'd be a bow user, but having to constantly farm for arrow mats is starting to get annoying.
You need Larval Tears to respec. I got one in Lingrave but I guess they can be found in more spots. They're consumable.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The FoH forum is a ghost town, except for the Politics section for the Russian invasion, and the Elden Ring thread, lol.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 4 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm doing dex/int build as well. My weapon is the dual blade, which is alright. Where/how do you get the meteor blade? I still haven't found sorcery spells(trying not to look too much stuff up), but I know I want to mess with casting as well, so tossing some int here and there for now.
Yellow circle here. Look for the stairs down into a cellar I guess you could call it. It’s filled with nightmare monsters. Run through and use invincibility frames opening the door and the chest to save you.

1646162047658.png

• 1Solidarity

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yellow circle here. Look for the stairs down into a cellar I guess you could call it. It’s filled with nightmare monsters. Run through and use invincibility frames opening the door and the chest to save you.

View attachment 401032
Wtf is the red circle? A mystery for us all to solve???

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Lost Virtue

Trakanon Raider

Sword of Night and Flame is insane too. The “magic” (int) based weapon skill (basically a weapon-art version of sorcery’s “Azur Comet”) does insane damage. Downside though is you have to have 24 faith to use the sword’s other ability (uses fire; does very good AoE/swipe damage also). Really cool to see weapons that have 2 different abilities with 2 different elements also. Takes me about 4 uses of the magic-based weapon ability to down a boss right now. The ability also has very little FP cost, I barely use sorcery now with this weapon.

Last edited:

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I don't remember where exactly, but in that same zone, there is a talisman that makes you immune to fall damage.

That was the first thing I tried heh, but there's some kind of cutoff on fall damage where past a certain distance it's just 100% lethal

I did finally figure out how to get over there though and it's just a fucking rune arc lmao

• 1Like