Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Looks like 2.

Ya know, I think the problem is I didn't get the second one, rather than Godfrey glitching out. I'll just make sure I talk to her in NG+ after activating two great runes but before fighting Godfrey.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dizzam

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was hesitant to try this game cause I’ve never liked Dark Souls and I gave up on Bloodborne after just a couple hours. But I picked this up today, and I’m glad I did. Obviously there are similarities to those other games, but in terms of enjoyment for me, the difference is night and day.

While still difficult, I didn’t have to try the first boss a gazillion times to beat him. The open world makes it far more interesting and lets you change course if you can’t handle something. The flask system is much better—feels less like farming. The number of save spots helps a bunch. The horse is a nice touch too.

I went Vagabond. Can someone explain the difference between Strength and Dexterity? I’ve really been liking the sword/shield combo. Sounds like I should go Strength, Vigor, and Endurance, correct?

The only thing that’s been a big turn off so far is the invaders. Maybe I just don’t understand how that works…

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've got five memory slots for spells, how many SHOULD I have in endgame? I didn't even pay attention to the Memory Stones available for sale because I assumed they were temporary consumables due to their weirdly low costs. So I basically missed most of them, have 3 now. Probably wouldn't be too hard to go swipe a few in the endgame. Five slots is enough for Comet Azur and Stars of Ruin, could use a 6th for Pebble for pulling etc.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've got five memory slots for spells, how many SHOULD I have in endgame? I didn't even pay attention to the Memory Stones available for sale because I assumed they were temporary consumables due to their weirdly low costs. So I basically missed most of them, have 3 now. Probably wouldn't be too hard to go swipe a few in the endgame. Five slots is enough for Comet Azur and Stars of Ruin, could use a 6th for Pebble for pulling etc.
There are probably more than 20 memory stones, spread out all over the place. I already had 10+ by the time I made it to the big city. Never explored the last 2 or 3 zones after it, nor half of the city, so probably missed a few, here and there.

• 1Like

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
I went Vagabond. Can someone explain the difference between Strength and Dexterity? I’ve really been liking the sword/shield combo. Sounds like I should go Strength, Vigor, and Endurance, correct?

The only thing that’s been a big turn off so far is the invaders. Maybe I just don’t understand how that works…

Strength and Dexterity have their own merits, but what you're looking for is to pick the stats that match your playstyle. You'll want to look at the weapons you're using, and the A->F modifiers on them. If a sword has say a scaling modifier of Strength = C and Dexterity = D on it, that would mean its damage would benefit more from Strength than Dexterity. When you change weapons with ashes or modify its type, it can also change those modifiers. If you like using a shield, those benefit more from Strength, so you'll want to up that stat and use a weapon that scales better with Strength as well.

Endurance is good, and Vigor is definitely nice in this game. Health seems to be a lot more necessary in Elden Ring than past Souls games.

As for invaders, you can play offline as well if you want to avoid trouble. A lot of us do, especially for our first playthrough to just experience the basic immersion of the game.

• 1Like
Absolutely loving this game. Not the actual game itself, it's good but nothing special. It's the things douchebags say about it. "This game won't be the one to give you a fish, but it might be the one to teach you how to fish.". Haha, total pretentious idiocy. Keep it coming!

• 2Midwit
  • 2Worf
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 6 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Wow, I just tried putting Hoarfrost on the nagakiba that I upgraded all the way and then never really used. It does more damage than the L2R2 from Moonveil +10 with 80 int and 40 dex. And it's actually insanely strong for AOEing trash, unlike the shitty L2R1 on Moonveil that stops at the first enemy it hits (which is weird since the R2 does pierce). Anybody playing dex/int definitely needs to try a weapon with Hoarfrost on it.

Still some situations where Moonveil is better though; Moonveil can hit flyers, does way more damage with a crit compared to the cold affinity nagakiba, and Transient Moonlight is both faster to execute and deals vastly more stance damage. Hoarfrost does stagger a lot of things, but I've never seen it break a stance.

I can't decide between cold and magic either. Cold only does less than 20 more damage on the L2, but it severely gimps the weapon for normal attacks, backstabs, etc. It definitely procs frostbite faster though, not sure if that makes up for it vs. a boss. I ended up sticking with magic for now just because I hate it when my backstabs leave stuff with a few pixels of hp. I've got enough equip weight to handle carrying around both Moonveil and the nagakiba though, so it might be better to only use it for Hoarfrost spam.

I've been trying forever to find an ash that gives lightning damage attacks because I wanted to do this same thing but with lightning instead of cold, no luck.

Khane

Yup it is by far the best one.

That tear is not good unless you are a very beefy boy. It will never trigger for me with my ~1300 hp pool especially against bosses because I never get under the threshold for it to trigger... I just die from half health.

Khane

Friends... friends. I went through basically the entire game not realizing my great runes werent actually doing anything because I wasnt using rune arcs

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
We bitched about that like a dozen times in here. While I like the idea of great runes the reality is that Rune Arcs are a bit too rare and expensive unless you're farming them via coop and pvp.

Otherwise you burn your rune arc only to die like a retard to some dogs or falling off a cliff. Or one of many boss attempts.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I agree. The problem is the first rune with +5 everything would have been OP to get that early. Its even strong well into the end game. They should think about nerfing them and making them passive

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Friends... friends. I went through basically the entire game not realizing my great runes werent actually doing anything because I wasnt using rune arcs
I eschewed using them because I died so much, but once I got up to 25 before I'm like, "You know, these aren't helping right now.". Now I use them almost all the time until I die to a boss or difficult dungeon area.

They feel like something that makes playthroughs a ton easier because we won't be dying so much.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
That tear is not good unless you are a very beefy boy. It will never trigger for me with my ~1300 hp pool especially against bosses because I never get under the threshold for it to trigger... I just die from half health.
Huh I thought it triggered on death, you saying if you take too much damage in one hit it doesn’t trigger? I have been down to like 20 HP and it has saved me.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
We bitched about that like a dozen times in here. While I like the idea of great runes the reality is that Rune Arcs are a bit too rare and expensive unless you're farming them via coop and pvp.

Otherwise you burn your rune arc only to die like a retard to some dogs or falling off a cliff. Or one of many boss attempts.
Pop a silver pickle and kill rats they drop like candy.

• 1Like