Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Only runs I find interesting to watch are the ones that actually "do" content so to speak. Not really impressed with speed runs that requires breaking the game. I don't mind taking advantage of in game things that are powerful, but like speed runs of DS1 where you jump off a bridge at a specific angle putting you below the world, and then moving sideways and skipping half the game isn't really something I enjoy watching.
It's just exploring a facet of the game, not the pinnacle of the game.

ER speedrun vids would be more entertaining if ER was organized such that more of the game was required to beat it. Ex: having to get all the great runes and climb all the towers or something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So, I wanted to try some Lightning builds out but I missed the Sanctified Whetblade before I burned the tree and apparently its gone until NG+ now. Why do you do this to me From Software?!
Playing these kinds of games at release is definitely a two-edged sword. I want to see all the content but don't want to read enough about the game (or it's not available when I play) to see all the content.

I'll probably do a rule-driven playthrough after the first DLC comes out and get a nice checklist of quests to not ruin.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it appears there's only a few bosses you MUST beat to actually progress to the point where you can finish the game as the speedruns are showing.

The sub 30 minute completion run doesn't do any glitch warping. It uses in game teleportation mechanics (belfries, iron maiden) to get around and bypass the long travel time and even other available shortcuts that exist in the game. The guy does log out of the game to decrease the time of certain things though.

Cheese via Hoarfrost Stomp is some shit though. If the damage on it is lowered speedrunners lose access to an easy and overwhelming amount of damage. Sot that would change it up a lot.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Playing these kinds of games at release is definitely a two-edged sword. I want to see all the content but don't want to read enough about the game (or it's not available when I play) to see all the content.

I'll probably do a rule-driven playthrough after the first DLC comes out and get a nice checklist of quests to not ruin.

Blind run then spoiler run

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I found an axe with hoarfrost and liked that it was cheap and a frontal cone. I threw it on another weapon I wasn’t using the L2 on. It doesn’t seem to do insane damage but for the cost it does. I’m guessing there are ways to boost the damage to make it broken? I haven’t tried doing that, and don’t plan to. I like using it for a situational AE, but don’t want to make the game super easy. If the cost was a lot higher I probably wouldn’t use it.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I found an axe with hoarfrost and liked that it was cheap and a frontal cone. I threw it on another weapon I wasn’t using the L2 on. It doesn’t seem to do insane damage but for the cost it does. I’m guessing there are ways to boost the damage to make it broken? I haven’t tried doing that, and don’t plan to. I like using it for a situational AE, but don’t want to make the game super easy. If the cost was a lot higher I probably wouldn’t use it.
I believe it scales off of int, and gains damage from any boost to magic damage

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Anyone got any good farm spots?

I'm lv60 and the best one I have are the 1k rune guys outside the Beast Sanctum in Northern Caelid.

All the better ones on google are locked behind Radahn or Omen King which is where I am up to and what I would like some more levels for.

I've unlocked the capital and Volcano Manor but don't want to mess around in the capital too much as I've heard it progresses the story and can break quests.

I do the bird now. Its super easy and if you follow this guide can access it fairly early. Any build can farm it.

Goonsquad Officer
i have an ending question for anyone who is super done:

So i did ranni's story, and i want to do her ending because it seems the most reasonable from what i know so far (i just finished margott fight in the capital and went into the deep deep sewers and found the frenzied flame room). My question is, can i do this frenzy flame thing, AND do ranni's ending? or are they mutually exclusive. i don't know what the frenzy flame means, i just got to googling how that door opens (to determine if i need to bang my head on the dungeon more, or come back later) and some one mentioned it's an ending. i wasn't sure if i should do it so i can 'do multiple endings' at once, or if it's exclusive.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
i have an ending question for anyone who is super done:

So i did ranni's story, and i want to do her ending because it seems the most reasonable from what i know so far (i just finished margott fight in the capital and went into the deep deep sewers and found the frenzied flame room). My question is, can i do this frenzy flame thing, AND do ranni's ending? or are they mutually exclusive. i don't know what the frenzy flame means, i just got to googling how that door opens (to determine if i need to bang my head on the dungeon more, or come back later) and some one mentioned it's an ending. i wasn't sure if i should do it so i can 'do multiple endings' at once, or if it's exclusive.

The endings are accessed by doing quests like Ranni's and Fia's etc. After the final boss fight you get an option what ending to pick for the quests completed... but if you do the frenzy flame you do not get an option and that will be the ending you get automatically.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
The endings are accessed by doing quests like Ranni's and Fia's etc. After the final boss fight you get an option what ending to pick for the quests completed... but if you do the frenzy flame you do not get an option and that will be the ending you get automatically get.
cool thank you for the info. that makes sense. I'll save that for another playthrough then!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got any good farm spots?

I'm lv60 and the best one I have are the 1k rune guys outside the Beast Sanctum in Northern Caelid.

All the better ones on google are locked behind Radahn or Omen King which is where I am up to and what I would like some more levels for.

I've unlocked the capital and Volcano Manor but don't want to mess around in the capital too much as I've heard it progresses the story and can break quests.

War-Dead Catacombs entry area is decent. The soldiers there respawn (limited number of times, like 8ish?), and you can usually watch until the annoying clean-rot faggots warp off the ledge to where you're only dealing with the two generic soldiers. Everything in there is worth at least 1k.

Ramar

Lord Nagafen Raider
cool thank you for the info. that makes sense. I'll save that for another playthrough then!
If you complete Millicent's quest line, you can save scum and complete all of the endings (you get an item that lets you purge the frenzied flame).

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I believe it scales off of int, and gains damage from any boost to magic damage
Well that makes sense why it doesn’t seem super OP to me other than how cheap FP it is. My int is just high enough to use the katanas and spells I wanted to use and that’s it. Been boosting stamina and life once I got the int where I needed it.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The sub 30 minute completion run doesn't do any glitch warping. It uses in game teleportation mechanics (belfries, iron maiden) to get around and bypass the long travel time and even other available shortcuts that exist in the game. The guy does log out of the game to decrease the time of certain things though.

Cheese via Hoarfrost Stomp is some shit though. If the damage on it is lowered speedrunners lose access to an easy and overwhelming amount of damage. Sot that would change it up a lot.
Wat? The whole thing is based on 'wrongwarps' and other glitches that put your character in a place you shouldn't be when you log out and back in. One of the first things he does is glitch his way from the portal to Crumbling Farum Azula which is segregated from the rest of the zone into the actual starting spot you don't normally get to until after the fire giant. He glitches his way into the godskin noble fight so that it doesn't fight back. He glitches into the Godfrey fight so he can skip it entirely. Etc. I guess I just don't "get" speedrunning, because doing it like that doesn't seem like any kind of accomplishment at all to me.

There's probably other things they could do to replicate Hoarfrost's damage, but the biggest benefit is the ice goes around corners, and over and sometimes even through obstacles. I think there'd be a ton of runs ruined by the godskin duo if they actually had to fight without a gazebo between them and the bosses.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Wat? The whole thing is based on 'wrongwarps' and other glitches that put your character in a place you shouldn't be when you log out and back in. One of the first things he does is glitch his way from the portal to Crumbling Farum Azula which is segregated from the rest of the zone into the actual starting spot you don't normally get to until after the fire giant. He glitches his way into the godskin noble fight so that it doesn't fight back. He glitches into the Godfrey fight so he can skip it entirely. Etc. I guess I just don't "get" speedrunning, because doing it like that doesn't seem like any kind of accomplishment at all to me.

There's probably other things they could do to replicate Hoarfrost's damage, but the biggest benefit is the ice goes around corners, and over and sometimes even through obstacles. I think there'd be a ton of runs ruined by the godskin duo if they actually had to fight without a gazebo between them and the bosses.
I read a message that said “try sleep” just before godskin duo. Sure enough, I put skinny to sleep while I poked fatty full of holes and only had to deal with one at a time.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

For me the most interesting thing about speedrun vids is the glitches instead of the usage of OP early builds like hoarfrost. It's just a fun meta competition to see who can break the game harder. The parts that actually play the game and involve skill are secondary to that. I just kind of wish there was more in ER to stop it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I like watching the glitch speed runs just to see the inventive ways people have come up with to break the game. They aren’t super impressive to me really. The full game speed runs are more impressive, the ones that are just perfected playing, and are nice for nostalgia of playing those old hard games without actually having to play them again. Mega Man 2 was one I watched a while ago, just for the nostalgia of it. I used to have that game dialed in tight, I doubt I could beat it now, or even get to the end stages lol

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I made like 5 different builds testing some of the most "OP" builds (as of this writing) - including: Blasphemous Blade fire build, SoN&F, the utterly stupid Comet Azur build, the Black Knife Dex/Faith build, and the dual uchi bleed build and I'm not actually sure which one is most broken. The Blasphemous blade build is the comfiest easily, and the easiest to use as the range is dumb and it just rips everything. SoN&F is also exceptional, particularly on all later game bosses but I just don't really like the style, the sword itself when not spamming magic and the moveset. Comet Azur is a meme and not fun at all. Dual Seppukku is fun and mobile, enjoyed that. Honestly I think the most "broken" of those I've tried though is the black knife build - it's a target locked boss eliminator that chunks their HP, adds a DOT and then makes their health bar smaller. Fast cast time as well and when I used this I got Malenia down in 1 try (kind of felt cheap actually). It sucked on a few bosses (not sure if they have resist or what) but overall it's just completely busted. I'm very curious what people will continue to come up with as the months go by - the shear amount of weapons, talismans, AoW's etc gives this game so much meat on the bone I can't even fathom what some people will soon come up with. I think in general this is a harder FROM game, but they've added so many mechanics to help ANYBODY muddle through. Stuck on a boss? Try this weapon, AOW, etc and watch it dissolve in front of you. Good stuff.

After almost 200 lvls and 100+ hours I'd say this - this is easily FROM's best ever game which means it's my favorite game of all time....

That said, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I want more exposition/story/narrative focus - much as I love the youtube guys video's and explanations, for me I want the narrative and world to be brought into more focus through gameplay, etc. I also think in general the bosses here are maybe the 3rd best in terms of FROM's catalogue. This game is carried a bit by the absolutely unbelievable world they built, shear size and diversity, build diversity, exploration and mini dungeons etc. The bosses are good, some are 10/10 but in general I thought they weren't FROM's best and for the first time ever in a FROM game I was having more fun exploring the glorious overworld, solving puzzles etc than I was dungeon crawling towards EPIC BOSS 17* which I never thought I'd say.

If they take this game, stick it in Bloodbornes world (Gothic Cosmic Horror) and add a tiny bit more story exposition (in a way that doesn't detract from the pioneer spirit in Elden Ring), I will die a happy man. As it stands, what they made with this game is frankly unbelievable.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I made like 5 different builds testing some of the most "OP" builds (as of this writing) - including: Blasphemous Blade fire build, SoN&F, the utterly stupid Comet Azur build, the Black Knife Dex/Faith build, and the dual uchi bleed build and I'm not actually sure which one is most broken. The Blasphemous blade build is the comfiest easily, and the easiest to use as the range is dumb and it just rips everything. SoN&F is also exceptional, particularly on all later game bosses but I just don't really like the style, the sword itself when not spamming magic and the moveset. Comet Azur is a meme and not fun at all. Dual Seppukku is fun and mobile, enjoyed that. Honestly I think the most "broken" of those I've tried though is the black knife build - it's a target locked boss eliminator that chunks their HP, adds a DOT and then makes their health bar smaller. Fast cast time as well and when I used this I got Malenia down in 1 try (kind of felt cheap actually). It sucked on a few bosses (not sure if they have resist or what) but overall it's just completely busted. I'm very curious what people will continue to come up with as the months go by - the shear amount of weapons, talismans, AoW's etc gives this game so much meat on the bone I can't even fathom what some people will soon come up with. I think in general this is a harder FROM game, but they've added so many mechanics to help ANYBODY muddle through. Stuck on a boss? Try this weapon, AOW, etc and watch it dissolve in front of you. Good stuff.

After almost 200 lvls and 100+ hours I'd say this - this is easily FROM's best ever game which means it's my favorite game of all time....

That said, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I want more exposition/story/narrative focus - much as I love the youtube guys video's and explanations, for me I want the narrative and world to be brought into more focus through gameplay, etc. I also think in general the bosses here are maybe the 3rd best in terms of FROM's catalogue. This game is carried a bit by the absolutely unbelievable world they built, shear size and diversity, build diversity, exploration and mini dungeons etc. The bosses are good, some are 10/10 but in general I thought they weren't FROM's best and for the first time ever in a FROM game I was having more fun exploring the glorious overworld, solving puzzles etc than I was dungeon crawling towards EPIC BOSS 17* which I never thought I'd say.

If they take this game, stick it in Bloodbornes world (Gothic Cosmic Horror) and add a tiny bit more story exposition (in a way that doesn't detract from the pioneer spirit in Elden Ring), I will die a happy man. As it stands, what they made with this game is frankly unbelievable.
I've never heard of the black knife build. What offhand / talismans / incantations did you use with it?

Did you try the hoarfrost build? It's pretty stupid.