Elden Ring - From Software + George RR Martin

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I’m at final boss, and Blasphemous Blade is feeling underwhelming. Any suggestions on STR or STR/FAI weapons to mess with? I’m eyeballing Godfrey’s Axe, Maliketh’s Blade, and Moghwyn’s Spear (this one requires an ARC respec).

I likely won’t do another fat boy STR build so I’m hoping to try out some of the more fun heavy weapons. That Crozier hammer (like smough hammer from DS1) is interesting and it’s one of the only ones that allows buffing. Speaking of, it’s super frustrating that something like Godfrey axe isn’t buffable, despite only dealing phys damage.
If you are faith there is an incantation that buffs holy resist, I think it's called Divine fortification, it basically makes the fight trivial since it buffs holy resist and the boss does all Holy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
I tried using Godricks Dragon arm thing and it doesnt hit hard at all. So im basically a STR Faith Build that only does melee damage cause im a stupid newb.

That shit is garbage. You might just go get golden halberd, pump your str to 30, upgrade it as far as you can, and away you go. It scales on all 3 of those stats so you aren't too bad off even without full min/max and should get you to midgame/blasphemous blade or wherever you want to go from there. You've barely spent any points in the 'wrong' place yet, just keep leveling and get more. Respeccing just to get 4 points is not the move since you only have a certain number of respecs, and the extra dex will be useful anyway.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Milenia steals back health. What fucking trash. I am still rating this game 10/10 and this is, admittedly, a secret area boss; but that just seems like cheese and not good design.

• 5Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 5 users

Goonsquad Officer
Yea block heal on her is obscene. I basically bullied her constantly with sword dance night rider glave. If she starts her anime attack, I just block while backing up and she just gets to heal a lot then back to bully

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Milenia steals back health. What fucking trash. I am still rating this game 10/10 and this is, admittedly, a secret area boss; but that just seems like cheese and not good design.
Although it kind of trivializes the fight you can cheese her with this trick

git gud fgt

• 17Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 19 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If you are faith there is an incantation that buffs holy resist, I think it's called Divine fortification, it basically makes the fight trivial since it buffs holy resist and the boss does all Holy.

Fuck, I should have remembered that. I beat him without much trouble in a handful of attempts but that probably would have made it a one shot.

Ragosh

Molten Core Raider
---Stagger/Guard Break
* Staggering an enemy means, he stops doing what hes doing and plays an "ouch" animation, which gives you time to hit again
* Guard Breaking an enemy means, you can start a "crit" attack (with a special animation) when directly in front of them or behind them (sometimes theres an orange glow)

Both states can usually be reached easier with heavy attacks / heavy weapons. Thats why you often see people with 2 colossal weapons. Because once you hit the first time, there often is no retaliation any more. This even works on bosses to a degree, but you have to trade a couple of hits for every guard break. I dont like this playstyle, but its legit. Its usually all STR/VIT with some END for stamina.

---Shield/Thrusting Weapons
All pure thrusting weapons (rapier, spears, estoc) can be used while blocking with a shield. The higher the "guard boost" stat of the shield, the less stamina you have to "pay" when you block an attack. You usually look for a "physical 100" shield (which blocks 100% of a physical attack you receive) with as high guard boost as possible. Brass shield is good early on. You will need END for all the stamina consumption. A weapon with blood loss for damage works nice, since you wont be able to up STR/DEX enough. I liked the Cross-Naginata with frost, but a Spear with any Blood Ash works (especially Seppuku). The Antspur Rapier (from behind the Shaded Castle) and the Fingerprint Shield (from below Leyndell) make the game trivial. My first playthru was STR/DEX/FAI Spear/Shield with heals. I really liked the Brass Shield + Tree Spear for the beginning. Tree Spear heavy R2 is great for guard break.

---Sorceries
Mages can start pretty strong with Rock Sling and the Meteorite Staff from Caelid and quickly build up to Comet Azure with the no FP physik. Its easy enough for stats with INT/MND. With summons, this makes most boss fights trivial as well.

These three builds are easy to get into and work well - without being cheese builds. You won't learn boss mechanics or dodging/parrying tho, since you wont need to (mostly). Which - by many - is thought of as the only way the game is meant to be played. So you wont "git gud".

In my experience anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I’ve never seen anyone actually use comet azur at an appropriate level and not think it would just be easier with a good weapon

spronk

FPS noob
if you're a noob like me Swarm of Flies is absolutely fantastic against most bosses including the haligtree chick

but more importantly... why doesn't melania have nipples? need lore video explanation

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The Comet Azur trick does work against big/slow bosses, but I think that whatever you can do with it in ~8 seconds could be done as well or better with bleeds or pest threads (utterly destroys the final boss, since it's immune to bleed, and just about any other huge boss). Azur is probably the best option for burst damage for int builds though, I don't think even Wing of Astel or Death's Poker can put out that much burst and they're by far the best weapons now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Okay so I made it to Haligtree, left there and killed Rykard, not really sure what to do next.

I went back to RtH and 3 ppl left. (Rogier/D died and Fia peaced out)

I found a note about Ds brother being near Nokstella so maybe Ill go there, still don't want this game to end.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Okay so I made it to Haligtree, left there and killed Rykard, not really sure what to do next.

*spoiler*

I went back to RtH and 3 ppl left. (Rogier/D died and Fia peaced out)

I found a note about Ds brother being near Nokstella so maybe Ill go there, still don't want this game to end.

I have no clue how to spoiler tag
Spoiler tags use [.spoiler] and type what you want here [./spoiler].

Remove the leading period I added after the first bracket for each. If you reply to someone with a spoiler you can see the tags in the reply before you hit the button to post it.

• 1Truth!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think my favorite part of Elden Ring is it follows the open world formula of allowing players to figure out what to expect in any given area by exploring, but the areas you know to search for are still different in each biome.

When you find a tunnel or a cave or catacomb, it has the same aesthetic as the tunnel and cave or catacomb you found in Limgrave. But the layout is completely unique. It's not just a carbon copy with different secret doors.

From Software knows how to make the most out of reused assets like no one else. Just like their chalice system in Bloodborne.

• 1Truth!

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>

There's also a strong Holy resist talisman in the blood palace area on the west side of that huge blood lake with the big birds. Raising holy resist is definitely a big help against that boss.

• 1Like

Serwol

Vyemm Raider
The Death Rite Bird just outside of Sol Castle is now the first boss that I have run into that I am just not going to bother trying to kill, fuck that thing right in its ugly bird doll face.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users