Electronic Dance Music

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not on any crusade (the Vice article that was posted a few pages ago is sufficient in terms of bringing people up to speed). I just took exception to someone posting tunes that had absolutely no relevance in this thread.

And if anyone wants to continue to argue this point then feel free to mention the DJs you've seen play live, I guarantee it won't come close to mine, that's what spending most weekends for the last 5 years of being immersed in the scene gets me. Shit, I'd bet the number of top DJs I've seen since Jan 1st exceeds anyone else on this board...
What does how many DJs you've seen have to do with anything? Music is one of the most subjective things on the planet. Quantity does not equal quality in most things in life, especially music. Stop shitting up this thread with your worthless opinions you douche.

Some music...let's get this back on track
TrainWreck1.gif

https://soundcloud.com/cutline/cutli...n-mirror-promo

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
What does how many DJs you've seen have to do with anything? Music is one of the most subjective things on the planet. Quantity does not equal quality in most things in life, especially music. Stop shitting up this thread with your worthless opinions you douche.

Some music...let's get this back on track
TrainWreck1.gif
Congrats on missing the point, this was not a debate about quality, my argument was that "Electronic Hardcore" (as labelled by the guy that posted it) is about as out of place in an "Electronic Dance Music" thread as Hitler at a Bar Mitzvah

But onto your point about what's it matter who's seen what DJ:

"Electronic Dance Music" the subject of this thread, (generally speaking) made by Producers/DJs to play in clubs and danced to in clubs, as opposed to be sold in stores and listened to at home. Do you really need me to break down how EDM works? EDM producers (generally) don't make a living from record sales, their income comes from being booked to play in *gasp* clubs and festivals. Ergo, seeing a renowned DJ in a club environment where they are playing their own tracks in the intended environment, roadtesting new material (whether their own productions or other peoples) is the natural environment to enjoy such music to.

Try and tell me that listening to EDM in your bedroom through some shitty speakers and a 128kpbs MP3 is no different to being on a packed dancefloor with hundreds of other people in the same mindset, having your eardrums assaulted by a funktion one soundsystem, lights/lazers and rushing on MDMA and I'll laugh you off this thread.

I've immersed myself in the scene for the last 4-5 years, this weekend alone the City I live has hosted:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jorisvoorn
http://www.rodigan.com
https://soundcloud.com/redlight-uk
https://soundcloud.com/twilliamsmusic
https://soundcloud.com/mr-scruff

So if you want to try and challenge my opinion on what constitutes EDM, then like I said go ahead and tell me what shows you've been to recently rather than just being a keyboard warrior.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
EDM that is played in clubs that I am sure some will go against what you call EDM.

Christian Barbuto
Kein Moniker / El Boogie
Chris Nelson
Matteo
Lauren LaRose
Lullaby
John Reyes
DJ Data
Rex Bruton
Jonny Steward
Robert Roman
Abstract Audio
D.R.K
Paul Bikford
Daniel Allen
Kean
Jon Eric
Jamon
Dr. Green
Big Rich
Jonene
Thomas Sahs
DJ Herb
Knos
Jason Jenkins
Mexican from Mars
Mez Data
J Dubz
Rob Nelson
Jenga Jenga
Technovilla
Brooke Aved
Worthy

That is just in 2013 alone, it would have been more but I was sick for a couple weeks, so did not go out.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Congrats on missing the point, this was not a debate about quality, my argument was that "Electronic Hardcore" (as labelled by the guy that posted it) is about as out of place in an "Electronic Dance Music" thread as Hitler at a Bar Mitzvah

But onto your point about what's it matter who's seen what DJ:

"Electronic Dance Music" the subject of this thread, (generally speaking) made by Producers/DJs to play in clubs and danced to in clubs, as opposed to be sold in stores and listened to at home. Do you really need me to break down how EDM works? EDM producers (generally) don't make a living from record sales, their income comes from being booked to play in *gasp* clubs and festivals. Ergo, seeing a renowned DJ in a club environment where they are playing their own tracks in the intended environment, roadtesting new material (whether their own productions or other peoples) is the natural environment to enjoy such music to.

Try and tell me that listening to EDM in your bedroom through some shitty speakers and a 128kpbs MP3 is no different to being on a packed dancefloor with hundreds of other people in the same mindset, having your eardrums assaulted by a funktion one soundsystem, lights/lazers and rushing on MDMA and I'll laugh you off this thread.

I've immersed myself in the scene for the last 4-5 years, this weekend alone the City I live has hosted:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/dj/jorisvoorn
http://www.rodigan.com
https://soundcloud.com/redlight-uk
https://soundcloud.com/twilliamsmusic
https://soundcloud.com/mr-scruff

So if you want to try and challenge my opinion on what constitutes EDM, then like I said go ahead and tell me what shows you've been to recently rather than just being a keyboard warrior.
Congrats on also missing the point. I have been to plenty of clubs/parties/raves whatever you want to call them, since 1995, done X,LSD,K, etc. I don't understand why you bring up how different it is than listening to tracks at home. No one ever said anything about that...at all. Of course it is fucking different. I mean we think it's cute and all you've just discovered this shit in the last 4-5 years, but other than that no one but you cares who you've seen.

Go ahead and google EDM for a while, I'm pretty sure you will find Hardcore, and something close to 200+ other genres that are listed as EDM. You can find TONS of videos on Youtube of Hardcore being played at clubs, warehouses, and massive outdoor venues, with people *gasp* dancing to it. So even byyour personal definitionof EDM...it's fucking EDM. No one gives a fuck what kind of EDM you don't like...this thread is about posting EDM that you DO like.

Stop bitching about what other people like, and post what you like. It's a pretty fucking easy concept.

Illuziun

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And if anyone wants to continue to argue this point then feel free to mention the DJs you've seen play live, I guarantee it won't come close to mine, that's what spending most weekends for the last 5 years of being immersed in the scene gets me. Shit, I'd bet the number of top DJs I've seen since Jan 1st exceeds anyone else on this board...
I agree with the previous post in that how many times you go out doesn't really justify or label anything, but for the fun of it I'll play along. This is a rough list of my 2012 shows.

Armin van Buuren ? 8
Markus Schulz ? 6 (three of these were 10 hour+ sets)
Carl Cox ? 3
Richie Hawtin ? 3
Sven Vath
Ferry Corsten ? 4
Cosmic Gate ? 5
Sander van Dorn ? 3
Gareth Emery ? 2
Arty ? 3
Mat Zo ? 2
Porter Robinson
Zedd
Kaskade ? 2
John Digweed ? 3
Matador
Nicole Moudaber
Art Department
Dubfire ? 2
Nervo
Wolfgang Gardner
Jochen Miller ? 3
W&W ? 2
Myon & Shane54 ? 2
Super8 & Tab ? 2
Tritonal ? 2
Jordan Suckly
Will Atkinson
Indecent Noise
Bryan Kearney ? 2
Jorn van Deynhoven ? 2
Paul van Dyk ? 2
Juventa
Tiesto
Loco Dice
Hardwell
Alesso
Mr. Pit
KoHMa
Grove & Hovsepian - 2
Noran & Rad ? 3
Protoculture
Max Graham ? 2
Rank1 ? 2
Alex Morph
Andy Moor
Stoneface & Terminal
Ronski Speed ? 3
Menno de Jong ? 3
Bobina
Kristina Sky ? 3
Eco ? 2
Dash Berlin ? 3
Arctic Moon ? 2
John 00 Fleming ? 3
Christopher Lawrence ? 3
Richard Durand
7skies
Heatbeat
Aly & Fila ? 4
John O?Callaghan ? 4
Sied van Riel - 2
Sneijder
Boom Jinx
Roger Shah
Eric Prydz - 4
Arnej
BT - 2
ATB - 2
Shogun
Sasha
Kyau & Albert - 2
Jaytech
Matt Lange
Gabriel & Dresden
Mark Sherry ? 2
Dirty South
Jon O?bir
Wippenberg
EDX
Mark Farina
Daniel Kandi
Sean Tyas ? 3
Simon Patterson ? 2

Not counting openers and after hours locals obviously, and probably +/-1 or 2 on dates near the 2011-2012 change, but the list is accurate. Most are from festivals when you can see 20-40 people in one weekend-week like with WMC and EDC week. Then LA has Insomniac festivals about every three months when averaged out in a year, those are like 5-10 a night. Then Friday and Saturday nights in LA are always someone playing in clubs like Exchange and Avalon(for my taste), every single weekend, often dual headliners.

Ryanz

<Banned>
I messaged a mod to have this thread renamed to "Electronic Music" so you faggots can go make your own EDM thread and jerk each other off on how awesome or authentic your music is. Any one else that doesn't care about labels or in general just being "that guy" please stay in this thread and continue posting awesome electronic music. Thanks.

Tummysticks

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks to everybody posting neat shit. I've recently discovered I like electronic music, but it seems to be a pretty narrow type of music I like. I'm not sure how to describe it or what the sub genre is, so here's some examples. Anybody who could point me to more shit like it would be rewarded with nets.

There's something mesmerizing about the way this particular girl shuffles. Oh yeah, the music is good too.

This recording is terrible, but it's the only one I could find that was the proper tempo for this song. Everything else I found was fast (or maybe this is slow, but I like it better).

And most stuff by Basshunter. I'm sure it's just the poppy club catchy shit and I'm like the special kid eating glue and wearing the helmet, but whatever. So, (sub)genre anyone?

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Err the threads called "Electronic Dance Music" and this post is a prime example of what other people are complaining about in another thread, namely idiots posting youtube videos that have nothing to do with EDM. I cant even bring myself to click the abortions you just posted. EDM itself is a stupid Americanism and a term that nobody this side of the Atlantic takes seriously, and this post shows why it's so stupid. Note, just because something was produced electronically does not make it "EDM". EDM = club music, plain and simple
Pretty much this.

Stop posting your faggy happy hardcore videos here.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
1st i'm not american,i'm from this side of the Atlantic.
2nd i thought this was the proper topic and i think we have different meanings of Electronic Dance Music
3rd love house,techno music,not only the abortions we like to call
No we dont have different meanings. We just have one. Club music. Not some dirty gabber raver shit you listened to in the woods from DJ Bonghit.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Thanks to everybody posting neat shit. I've recently discovered I like electronic music, but it seems to be a pretty narrow type of music I like. I'm not sure how to describe it or what the sub genre is, so here's some examples. Anybody who could point me to more shit like it would be rewarded with nets.

There's something mesmerizing about the way this particular girl shuffles. Oh yeah, the music is good too.

This recording is terrible, but it's the only one I could find that was the proper tempo for this song. Everything else I found was fast (or maybe this is slow, but I like it better).

And most stuff by Basshunter. I'm sure it's just the poppy club catchy shit and I'm like the special kid eating glue and wearing the helmet, but whatever. So, (sub)genre anyone?
Google "dog shit", then click "videos" tab, knock yourself out.

Alternately google "happy hardcore", thats the name of the genre

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I agree with the previous post in that how many times you go out doesn't really justify or label anything, but for the fun of it I'll play along. This is a rough list of my 2012 shows.

Armin van Buuren - 8
Markus Schulz - 6 (three of these were 10 hour+ sets)
Carl Cox - 3
Richie Hawtin - 3
Sven Vath
Ferry Corsten - 4
Cosmic Gate - 5
Sander van Dorn - 3
Gareth Emery - 2
Arty - 3
Mat Zo - 2
Porter Robinson
Zedd
Kaskade - 2
John Digweed - 3
Matador
Nicole Moudaber
Art Department
Dubfire - 2
Nervo
Wolfgang Gardner
Jochen Miller - 3
W&W - 2
Myon & Shane54 - 2
Super8 & Tab - 2
Tritonal - 2
Jordan Suckly
Will Atkinson
Indecent Noise
Bryan Kearney - 2
Jorn van Deynhoven - 2
Paul van Dyk - 2
Juventa
Tiesto
Loco Dice
Hardwell
Alesso
Mr. Pit
KoHMa
Grove & Hovsepian - 2
Noran & Rad - 3
Protoculture
Max Graham - 2
Rank1 - 2
Alex Morph
Andy Moor
Stoneface & Terminal
Ronski Speed - 3
Menno de Jong - 3
Bobina
Kristina Sky - 3
Eco - 2
Dash Berlin - 3
Arctic Moon - 2
John 00 Fleming - 3
Christopher Lawrence - 3
Richard Durand
7skies
Heatbeat
Aly & Fila - 4
John O'Callaghan - 4
Sied van Riel - 2
Sneijder
Boom Jinx
Roger Shah
Eric Prydz - 4
Arnej
BT - 2
ATB - 2
Shogun
Sasha
Kyau & Albert - 2
Jaytech
Matt Lange
Gabriel & Dresden
Mark Sherry - 2
Dirty South
Jon O'bir
Wippenberg
EDX
Mark Farina
Daniel Kandi
Sean Tyas - 3
Simon Patterson - 2

Not counting openers and after hours locals obviously, and probably +/-1 or 2 on dates near the 2011-2012 change, but the list is accurate. Most are from festivals when you can see 20-40 people in one weekend-week like with WMC and EDC week. Then LA has Insomniac festivals about every three months when averaged out in a year, those are like 5-10 a night. Then Friday and Saturday nights in LA are always someone playing in clubs like Exchange and Avalon(for my taste), every single weekend, often dual headliners.
LOL, this guy counting every artist at WMC as having seen them just because he was there. Walking past a stage on the way to the beer tent and another show doesnt qualify as having seen the artist.

8x for Armin Van Buuren? GTFO here. I'd rather spend a year in Auschwitz.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
EDM that is played in clubs that I am sure some will go against what you call EDM.

Christian Barbuto
Kein Moniker / El Boogie
Chris Nelson
Matteo
Lauren LaRose
Lullaby
John Reyes
DJ Data
Rex Bruton
Jonny Steward
Robert Roman
Abstract Audio
D.R.K
Paul Bikford
Daniel Allen
Kean
Jon Eric
Jamon
Dr. Green
Big Rich
Jonene
Thomas Sahs
DJ Herb
Knos
Jason Jenkins
Mexican from Mars
Mez Data
J Dubz
Rob Nelson
Jenga Jenga
Technovilla
Brooke Aved
Worthy

That is just in 2013 alone, it would have been more but I was sick for a couple weeks, so did not go out.
Cool list bro, how many of these guys can even get 100 people through the door?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Go ahead and google EDM for a while, I'm pretty sure you will find Hardcore, and something close to 200+ other genres that are listed as EDM. You can find TONS of videos on Youtube of Hardcore being played at clubs, warehouses, and massive outdoor venues, with people *gasp* dancing to it. So even byyour personal definitionof EDM...it's fucking EDM. No one gives a fuck what kind of EDM you don't like...this thread is about posting EDM that you DO like.
Like I said earlier, that genre has been around for years but was never called anything else than Hardcore, same for lots of other genres of Electronic music. EDM as a genre is a recent term that refers to a specific scene, which itself is made up of specific genres. I don't think that you can then retroactively apply the term to every single genre of Electronic Music and bundle it all together. I wouldn't go into a metal thread and start posting links to acoustic folk music and be all like "hurrrr hey guys check out this guys acoustic version of cum by ah my Lord it roxor" rofl. I managed to listen to 2 seconds of that "Electronic Hardcore" and it has more in common with what I perceive as thrash metal than EDM.

Clearly some people would rather this thread was just about the scene, some people would rather have it as a catch all for anything electronic. Obviously I'm in the former camp

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Like I said earlier, that genre has been around for years but was never called anything else than Hardcore, same for lots of other genres of Electronic music. EDM as a genre is a recent term that refers to a specific scene, which itself is made up of specific genres. I don't think that you can then retroactively apply the term to every single genre of Electronic Music and bundle it all together. I wouldn't go into a metal thread and start posting links to acoustic folk music and be all like "hurrrr hey guys check out this guys acoustic version of cum by ah my Lord it roxor" rofl. I managed to listen to 2 seconds of that "Electronic Hardcore" and it has more in common with what I perceive as thrash metal than EDM.

Clearly some people would rather this thread was just about the scene, some people would rather have it as a catch all for anything electronic. Obviously I'm in the former camp
Same guys will argue till they are blue in the face that country music and heavy metal are different genres. Why? its just 2 guitars, a bass and a drum kit. Same thing, right?

Illuziun

LOL, this guy counting every artist at WMC as having seen them just because he was there. Walking past a stage on the way to the beer tent and another show doesnt qualify as having seen the artist.

8x for Armin Van Buuren? GTFO here. I'd rather spend a year in Auschwitz.
Great I was waiting for a troll, fun.

Armin, ASOT550 at Beyond Wonderland, Twice at Ultra(ASOT 550 tent and main stage), EDC twice (Invasion ASOT stage and main stage), Hollywood Palladium x2, and Exchange LA b2b with Markus Schulz.

You speak like you know dance music, it entertains me. I didn't even add Ibiza parties which is funny.

Let's do WMC, Thursday, Ferry Corsten 8 hours at space. Friday yacht party with Manna de Jong, Sean Tyas, and Ronski Speed, Saturday, Ice Palace with Cosmic gate, Sean Tyas, and Paul van Dyk. Sunday Markus Schulz, mr. Pit, and Kohma at space. Please, try again.

Talk to me when you lose your imaginary internet life.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The only people who go Trance events here are the 35+ year olds who were going to Trance events at its peak 15-20 years ago. Yes Van Buuren could be classed as the Worlds biggest DJ (if you go by DJ Mag polls) but that's only thanks to the Eurotrash that votes for him

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Great I was waiting for a troll, fun.

Armin, ASOT550 at Beyond Wonderland, Twice at Ultra(ASOT 550 tent and main stage), EDC twice (Invasion ASOT stage and main stage), Hollywood Palladium x2, and Exchange LA b2b with Markus Schulz.

You speak like you know dance music, it entertains me. I didn't even add Ibiza parties which is funny.

Let's do WMC, Thursday, Ferry Corsten 8 hours at space. Friday yacht party with Manna de Jong, Sean Tyas, and Ronski Speed, Saturday, Ice Palace with Cosmic gate, Sean Tyas, and Paul van Dyk. Sunday Markus Schulz, mr. Pit, and Kohma at space. Please, try again.

Talk to me when you lose your imaginary internet life.
LOL, i dont even know what are you even trying to prove by dropping 100 names. That you actually stood there and listened to all those DJs for 1-2 hours and listened to their sets? That its evenly humanly possible to see all those artists in 2012? That we should listen to your ramblings?

Why not just admit that you basically added up the rosters of all the festivals you've been to?

I was at Pitchfork last year, but that doesnt mean I saw 80 artists.

Illuziun

LOL, i dont even know what are you even trying to prove by dropping 100 names. That you actually stood there and listened to all those DJs for 1-2 hours and listened to their sets? That its evenly humanly possible to see all those artists in 2012? That we should listen to your ramblings?

Why not just admit that you basically added up the rosters of all the festivals you've been to?

I was at Pitchfork last year, but that doesnt mean I saw 80 artists.
How does it feel to be shit on? I think I'll add Araysar right there next to EA in my avatar, because you just got dumped on. I can take pictures of hard tickets as well if you want?

shiton.jpg

I can add more if you like? Take note and realize this only half of a year.

Don't bring your internet tough guy shit to me, because it's worthless.

You know what, I am not done, here are a couple hard tickets for the past year as well. note: the cards on the top are all Insomniac festivals. And if I wanted to "added up the rosters of all the festivals you've been to?" I'd post a bunch of shit, and I didn't, it was all trance and a few tech names, besides a few pop dj's.

ownedkv.jpg

The only people who go Trance events here are the 35+ year olds who were going to Trance events at its peak 15-20 years ago. Yes Van Buuren could be classed as the Worlds biggest DJ (if you go by DJ Mag polls) but that's only thanks to the Eurotrash that votes for him
You live in the UK from your profile info, if no one listens to trance in the UK, then why does one of the biggest club, Ministry - Gallery, sell out trance DJs on a regular basis? One of the largest dance music festival in the Uk is Creamfields and it's mostly trance... You guys need to do your troll home work before trying to play with the wrong person.

Editing here in response to the next two posts, because I am not shitting up this thread anymore than it is.
What are you trying to prove, bro? i can drop names too.
Maybe you haven't read the thread, but I am not trying to impress anyone. It's the douche bag Ossoi who came in here trying to act like Mr big dick and swing that shit around like he's god gift to dance music, so I took a shit on his ego. And I don't know where you're getting the impression that I just list people on a festival lineup, if that was the case I would have put shit in there like Ingrosso, Avicii, Benny Banassi, and some other cheesy shit that I've walked out of stages before, but I didn't. I listed DJs I've actually seen in entirety. 90% of the list I provided are trance DJs, and the entire list of ticket sales I showed you are all from clubs besides a few.

Ossoi you seem to only care about how many people a DJ can bring through the door, which automatically voids anything you have to say.