Elite: Dangerous (Kickstarted Sandbox Space Flight Sim)

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
FDL has a huge hardpoint. I don't see the problem. Given you don't need any size 6 or 7 modules on the FDL, it will be less than a combat fitted Python.

Price on the vulture is too high, though.

Does the Xbone even have a real joystick?
The issue I have with people putting the FDL at 100 mil is just that, it does not have the equipment to match the price. Sure, huge armor, but the rest are way to low class to warrant such a price.

I do not belive the Xbox one have a real joystick yet, and I am concerned that even if they keep the Xbox players seperate, the low speccs of the Xbox will hold back features in the PC/Mac versions due to "all features on all platforms". Look at the "max 4 ppl wings" for example, there is no reason to keep the numbers so low on the PC, but it makes perfect sense for consoles. While its nice that FD gets some more cash, it will cripple the game regarding content.

Ah well, we shall see eventually. Grinded together another 10 mil tonight in my race to afford an FDL as a combat ship later... but the Vulture seems more and more tempting.

Edit: Also, I dont see any possibility of the Xbox players being able to play with the PC/Mac players. MS has not really been intrested in opening up their playerbase for multi-platform gaming in the past, I dont see this changing forElite.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
...I do not belive the Xbox one have a real joystick yet, and I am concerned that even if they keep the Xbox players seperate, the low speccs of the Xbox will hold back features in the PC/Mac versions due to "all features on all platforms". Look at the "max 4 ppl wings" for example, there is no reason to keep the numbers so low on the PC, but it makes perfect sense for consoles. While its nice that FD gets some more cash, it will cripple the game regarding content.

Ah well, we shall see eventually. Grinded together another 10 mil tonight in my race to afford an FDL as a combat ship later... but the Vulture seems more and more tempting.

Edit: Also, I dont see any possibility of the Xbox players being able to play with the PC/Mac players. MS has not really been intrested in opening up their playerbase for multi-platform gaming in the past, I dont see this changing forElite.
The wing size would be limited by the P2P network code anyway. The number of players you can see at any one time is limited to 32 although the practical limit is closer to 16, depending upon the condition of people's network links. If you flew in a Wing of 16 the chances are you'd never see anyone else; in a Wing of 8 you'd probably rarely encounter another Wing of 8 where everyone could see everyone else. Four could well be an XBox decision, but I doubt it would be much higher even if the game stayed PC only.

The way I read Frontier's statements is that Xbox players will be on the same servers, but there will be no direct interaction between PC and Xbox players. Each would see the impact of the other on the background simulation however, so they will affect trade prices, exploration, the status of factions, and so on. From the PC player point of view it would be just like having thousands more Solo players; you can't see them but they are beavering away in the background.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Been playing this for an hour or two here and there for the past week or two. Have built up a small bank account of 100k creds. Still flying a completely stock ship. Don't like the Eagle at all, the Cobra Mk 3 is like 4 times what I have currently. Not sure what do or where to go from here, basically. My home galaxy is LHS 3447, I began there, been flying all around the area, but the small size of my whatever they call the hyperdrive or the thing that lets me move rapidly through space is sort of preventing me from moving too far beyond that starting point.

I guess I'm just being lazy and haven't looked at many starter guides. Actually its more about just wanting to learn the game naturally without having everything spoiled for me, but any advice from the people with more playtime about where to go from this point would be appreciated.

I'm enjoying the game, there's some design decisions I would do differently, but overall its a solid game if you're interested in space shootan and exploran and I guess space truckin', which is the thing I'm probably least interested in.

Mostly been playing solo. Made the majority of the money I have from stealing from Federation cruisers attacking bounties, and low risk/low reward short range hauling missions.
If you don't like the Eagle and you're kind of limited in range, perhaps try out the Hauler. It's a trading ship by design, but it makes a decent exploration vessel and has good jump range so you'll be able to find a new region to call home even if you hate flying it and trade back to a Sidewinder. Just remember you'll have to run from any interdictions.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
http://kotaku.com/elite-dangerous-wa...day-1689623141

Figured it wouldn't be Xbone exclusive for long, but there's the proof. The game being on both consoles really worries me for some reason. I feel like it's going to take away from the PC version or something.
Of course it will take away things from the PC version, if you want the "same game" on all platforms your features will have to be supported by the weakest link (in this case probl. the Xbox).

Anyhow, finally got the chance to try out the new ships:

The FDL is in no way, shape or form worth more then 25 mil. Its a decent fighting ship but its downsides (to me at least) makes it a "cool to have, but dunno when I would actually use it". Sure it can dish out damage and take a beating but its really not a superior ship in any cathegory. After trying some PvP vs Vultures my opinion is that I would take the Vulture over the FDL as a combatship any day.

The Vulture is a monster. I like how they compensated the agility and firepower with a lower base speed. It will be pure murder in furballs, but its low speed will let people outrun it if they dont want to engage in interdictions.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
The wing size would be limited by the P2P network code anyway. The number of players you can see at any one time is limited to 32 although the practical limit is closer to 16, depending upon the condition of people's network links. If you flew in a Wing of 16 the chances are you'd never see anyone else; in a Wing of 8 you'd probably rarely encounter another Wing of 8 where everyone could see everyone else. Four could well be an XBox decision, but I doubt it would be much higher even if the game stayed PC only.

The way I read Frontier's statements is that Xbox players will be on the same servers, but there will be no direct interaction between PC and Xbox players. Each would see the impact of the other on the background simulation however, so they will affect trade prices, exploration, the status of factions, and so on. From the PC player point of view it would be just like having thousands more Solo players; you can't see them but they are beavering away in the background.
Your speculation about the wing size might be correct.

FD has stated that the game will be exactly the same on the Xbox as on the PC (Quote from the news: "Elite: Dangerous on Xbox One will be the complete and authenticElite: Dangerous experience. It will not be "dumbed down". We'll be working with an all-new audience, but that doesn't mean a change in direction for the game, and nor does it mean slowing development on the PC version.".

This means the PC version will not get any features that an Xbox could not handle. Now we know it will most likely be a 720p game on the Xbox meaning the grafix might not be a limiting factor, but still it will (in my opinion) still be more limiting for features then a pure PC/Mac game.

Oh well, the future will show if my fears are groundless or if the game will suffer from this.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
David Braben explains the problem withElite: Dangerous cross-play - PC Gamer

According to Frontier's David Braben, while he likes the idea of cross-play between PC and consoles, there is one significant problem that stands in the way.

"I think the challenges for us, which sort of fights against it," Braben told PCGamesN, "is we've also said that we'll continue to do updates across all platforms, and what we didn't want was PC updates to be held up for whatever reason, like if there's a delay on another platform."
Elitehas more configuration settings than any game I've ever played. It has support for so many control types, the visual/audio sliders have many settings. The base game is so natively a PC title, I don't think we need to worry about a console specific focus from here on out.

Phayd

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips here. Started playing about 2 weeks ago here and there. In an Adder at the moment and about half way to affording a Cobra MkIII. Is the Cobra a good starter explorer or should I just keep trading until I get the Asp?

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Just wanted to say thanks for all the tips here. Started playing about 2 weeks ago here and there. In an Adder at the moment and about half way to affording a Cobra MkIII. Is the Cobra a good starter explorer or should I just keep trading until I get the Asp?
In my opinion the Cobra is the baseline ship in the game, it can do anything decently. My career was Sidewinder - Hauler - Cobra - Asp - Clipper - Python - Type 9 (fuck this whale) - Python. I would buy the Cobra, then go for a Type 6 if you want to trade your way upwards, Asp if you want to fight (but please look up just how much credits you need to get for insurance and decent outfitting for an Asp, its several millions).

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
David Braben explains the problem withElite: Dangerous cross-play - PC Gamer

Elitehas more configuration settings than any game I've ever played. It has support for so many control types, the visual/audio sliders have many settings. The base game is so natively a PC title, I don't think we need to worry about a console specific focus from here on out.
Its not the controls or grafix that will be the issue I believe, its the possible features that will be limited by what an console can support.

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Aaaaand they went full retard on the prices for the Vulture and FdL, good job.

Ive read your comments on the forums Quin, and I think you failed to see that while a FULLY loaded Python costs more, a Python with just 20 mil of upgrades beats the living shit out of a FdL with everything but mil armor.

They desperatly need more, cheap, combatships if they want people to interact in open. Who the hell will bring a 50 mil Vulture to open PvP, or for that matter, a 200 mil FdL? It would be asking to get blown to bits and laughed at.

After this weekends grind, I could actually easily afford both ships and decent upgrades, but I think Ill hold on to my credits and wait to see what the next "missing" ship(s) will be and if they actually be worth investing in...

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Aaaaand they went full retard on the prices for the Vulture and FdL, good job.

After this weekends grind, I could actually easily afford both ships and decent upgrades, but I think Ill hold on to my credits and wait to see what the
next "missing" ship(s) will be and if they actually be worth investing in...
The newsletter screenshot would say the Imperial Courier is next. Here's the old school version, together with planetary landings!

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Seems like a nice ship! Hopefully they dont go overboard with it and price it in the 100s of million
wink.png

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
...As with any ongoing development we're constantly examining balancing and there are some imbalances between the roles - in particular trading is too powerful compared with other play styles. We believe a player shouldn't feel that they have to indulge in trading to reach the next suitable ship for their preferred way to play, so to make other roles more viable we'll continue to strengthen the role of combat pilots, miners and explorers in the galaxy, making those paths a more viable option for progression in future updates.

In a minor update released before the end of the week we'll reduce the price of non-trade shipsand abolish the way fuel costs are scaled by ship type. What's more, some of the smaller ships, like the Sidewinder will gain a powerful new advantage as their reduced profile makes them more effective for smuggling. These are minor changes but ones that dramatically increase the importance and viability of craft less suited to trading...
[UPDATE] Dev Update - 11.03.2015

Good news, the part I've put in bold makes me wonder if it's worth selling an expensive non-trade ship now and buying it back cheaper after the mini-patch this week goes live...

*edit* nevermind, it's kinda answered:

For players who currently own those ships we will provide a credits rebate for the difference - however this will happen after the price change.

Michael

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If Clipper is the new trader, then Courier will be around 12 million if they stick true to the Courier / Trader price ratio

I also don't get the mad love for the Python. It's 350 top speed. It's too slow to be factor in PVP. And all of these ships perform excellently in PVE.

Finally picked this up -- Fucking love it so far. However I am still in the figuring shit out phase and was hoping one of you gents could clarify something for me. I have a mission to increase my rank with the Federation, but it requires me to source some items that appear to be way out of reach. I know where the items are sold thanks to the trading websites, but I am unable to plot a course there. So my question I guess is this, how do I get there?
frown.png

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
1. You could possibly upgrade the hyperdrive component on your ship so you can get a longer range
2. There are resources available to plot longer courses, I've seen them linked in the Something Awful thread on this game but don't have them handy, I'll try to dig some up for you if I can find them again
3. You could plot as far in the direction you want to go as you can, get there, and then do that again, leap frogging your way there and back again

Probably you'll be doing some combination of 2 or three of these.

I'm sure someone with much more experience than me will chime in here and say I'm completely wrong and here's how to do it, and that's fine. This is the best I've been able to come up with while playing.

Also, if you haven't yet, spend the 8 bucks to get Voice Attack and set it up. Its so fucking sweet with this game, even without having a joystick/throttle.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Another way to increase jump range is to lose weight. Class D modules tend to be light. Removing weapons can save a few tons.

One of the less obvious ways to save weight is by fitting your ship with undersized modules. This tends to work better on larger ships, although you may find that swapping out your (say) class 2 fuel tank and replacing it with a smaller class 1 and adding a cheap fuel scoop increases your range, at the expense of a little cargo space and a few seconds of scooping after each jump (watch your heat).

Play around with the Shipyard:

E: D Shipyard

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New minor patch reduces price of Fed Drop, FDL and Vulture, increases exploration, Combat bonds and bounty rewards.

That's might actually be a bigger change than 1.2 itself.