Elysium

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sadly I think 3D is the only thing that prevents movies from shaky cam these days, and Elysium choose to forgo 3D.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
bourne supremacy and ultimatum,which i really like both,have the same shaky shit.maybe it's a matt damon's demand ahah

TXjohnny

<Bronze Donator>
There were some things I really liked about the movie but overall I was disappointed. Every time I thought the movie was picking up, it would grind to a halt.

The movie shows us a bunch of cool looking combat robots just waiting to get shot; some pretty badass weapons, and then what happens? Two fucking robots get shot in the entire movie!? Fuck you.

Edit: Jodie Foster was in the movie a fair amount. Not a ton, but you wouldn't feel ripped off or misled, like I was about the robots.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree completely, those robots were incredible and we didn't get to see near enough of them. I think all the best robot scenes were in the trailer, which made me think this was going to be a movie about a cybernetic enhanced guy fighting an army of robots. I thought the actors were good, Foster was good but had a funky accent, William Fichtner is a boss in every movie he is in.

Merrith

Liked it a lot, I can see the point about the robots but overall the movie was solid with some decent action. While the setting of the semi near future felt very similar to the one he had for District 9, he builds a somewhat believable "world" with it. Sharlto Copley was fucking nuts...loved him.

Ko Dokomo_sl

shitlord
It covers the gamut of political ideas from universal healthcare to corporate underpinnings of government to blackwater style contractors.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So how heavy handed was the liberal faggotry in this movie?
On one hand, what Ko Dokomo said is correct.

On the other hand, it shows that when the elite move off the planet, the planet goes to shit. You could say that the elite siphon the wealth from society and purposefully keep it down, but none-the-less everyone turns into an animal without the proletariat there.

Malakriss

Aside from Jodie Foster the elite population weren't portrayed as the bad guys, in fact they barely gave any screen time for ordinary Elysium citizens. She was the focus and even though her accent was a little over the top she certainly can play the mean vindictive bitch characters.

Only thing I noticed was a muted musical score during dramatic scenes, definitely could have added to the mood there.

Merrith

Aside from Jodie Foster the elite population weren't portrayed as the bad guys, in fact they barely gave any screen time for ordinary Elysium citizens. She was the focus and even though her accent was a little over the top she certainly can play the mean vindictive bitch characters.

Only thing I noticed was a muted musical score during dramatic scenes, definitely could have added to the mood there.
You're forgetting the head of the company that acts like a complete dick, even going so far as to ask one of his factory managers to "not breathe on him". He also gives two shits about Damon's character's incident at work.

Otherwise they don't portray them as bad guys per se, although at the very end you're left wondering how detached they can be with how easy it is to fix some of the pressing issues below.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
Another theme is, "ROBOTS TOOK ERRR JOBS", and any form of dissent, defiance being considered unlawful. The only jobs in the movie are building the robots which are used as paramilitary/police against citizens, LOL IRONY!!!! Good movie, Kruger is my favorite villian/man with too much anti-social personality disorder I've seen since The Joker in DK. His character is completely accurate to how all the true crazies I've met bouncing act, vaguely calm, something causes them to become frustrated, they become so fucking pissed off there is no reasoning with them.

Juvarisx

Florida
You're forgetting the head of the company that acts like a complete dick, even going so far as to ask one of his factory managers to "not breathe on him". He also gives two shits about Damon's character's incident at work.

Otherwise they don't portray them as bad guys per se, although at the very end you're left wondering how detached they can be with how easy it is to fix some of the pressing issues below.
It happens now go look up Bangladeshi factory collapses and what not. The only reason the heads of the companies in reality claim to care is because there is public outrage, what would that outrage mean to people living literally not on Earth with an army of robot security programmed to do what they are told. Its not even detachment, I am sure they "get" why its a steaming shithole its just that they do not care because there is NO reason to care. You think the Kosh brothers wouldn't fit this bill perfectly? Hell you could have put them in the movie told them to act as themselves and they would have fit perfectly. And people worship those asshole because they are so great at whatever it is they do. This is why I liked this movie because while people go "ohhh i get it in the future they wont give a shit because of x and y" and the reality is no they do not give a flying fuck now. Yes it took it to an extreme in that an entire planet is reduced to being subservient but that was the point.

Guvnah

Lord Nagafen Raider
I really liked the movie and thought it had a lot of Cyberpunk/Shadowrun/Neuromancer aspects to it.

Similar pacing to District 9.

spronk

FPS noob
enjoyable movie, don't think there was anything particular that made it a must-see-in-theaters experience, definitely want to see more of Elysium itself. I think the ending could have been better, but overall the writing was very solid and there was "depth" to the characters who felt like believable people, not cardboard comic-book characters like many movies now. That said, the rich vs poor got hammered in a little too hard I think.

I really didn't like how robot space ships from Elysium now are dispensing free medical care around the planet, there should have been some discussion of how supplies are rationed so 1 million people can live 300 years instead of adding 1 year to ten billion people. Just some scene where Jodie Foster or President Baldie tries to rationalize why they deserve what most humans can't get. I really do hope there are some more Elysium stories in the future though, Orbital Stations are fucking awesome.

shitty plot points: why did they try to wrassle matt damon right before landing, how the fuck is everyone reading this binary code and instantly realizing its elysiumOS, why doesn't the orbital have any defensive weapons, who the fuck are the actual cooks, gardeners, etc on Elysium all robots? blah blah blah.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Also
rrr_img_39958.png