Engagement rings

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I am looking to get my girlfriend an engagement ring soon, not too sure on what to get yet. There are many options to choose from.
A raw chunk of iron ore, smithed by hand by a member of ABANA(Artists Blacksmiths' Association of North America) is the only thing that will be socially acceptable around here. And you better hope to god they use at least a 500 year old anvil, or else your (future) wife is a dumb whore.

I think that about sums up this thread.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A raw chunk of iron ore, smithed by hand by a member of ABANA(Artists Blacksmiths' Association of North America) is the only thing that will be socially acceptable around here.
Actually, it seems like those of you drinking the Kool Aid seem to outnumber the three or four of us trying to warn guys about the cyanide.

Neph_sl

shitlord
I am looking to get my girlfriend an engagement ring soon, not too sure on what to get yet. There are many options to choose from.
Probably obvious, but the best thing to do is talk to her. You don't want to spend a good chunk of money on something she doesn't want, from the stone (diamond, moissanite, etc) to the style of the ring itself. IMO, find a good local mom and pop place with a wide variety of stones/settings, and take her there to figure out what she wants.

Probably obvious, but the best thing to do is talk to her. You don't want to spend a good chunk of money on something she doesn't want, from the stone (diamond, moissanite, etc) to the style of the ring itself. IMO, find a good local mom and pop place with a wide variety of stones/settings, and take her there to figure out what she wants.
What girl is honestly gonna go, "Honey, I would LOVE a moissanite ring!!!!"

Haha, the whole moissanite movement is hilarious. The god damn amber globe at the top of the old guys cane in Jurassic Park, the one with the mosquito or whatever in it looks more like a damn diamond.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What girl is honestly gonna go, "Honey, I would LOVE a moissanite ring!!!!"

Haha, the whole moissanite movement is hilarious. The god damn amber globe at the top of the old guys cane in Jurassic Park, the one with the mosquito or whatever in it looks more like a damn diamond.
You have awoken the sleeping giant

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Some very cool stuff here.

Hoping to follow through on this thread pretty soon. I've got a buyer lined up for my bike, and am taking care of some car repairs and other immediate expenses before I start shopping in earnest.

iannis

Musty Nester
Well man, I mean, isn't that about the perfect engagement ring though?

"Yeah, I know it's only a small diamond in silver. But sweetie, that's my motorcyle on your finger".

BAM. Instant "you are the man I've always dreamed of".

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
I am starting to look into engagement rings now, and I have a couple questions:

-I know a lot of people are saying to stay away from the bigger chain stores. Is Blue Nile a pretty reputable/not overpriced place to buy? They have a lot of good info on their site, but I really have no idea what a good price is for anything ring-related.
-My girlfriend is in between sizes of rings. 4.5 is too small and 5 is too big. I've heard you can take the ring somewhere afterward to get it sized down to her finger (so buy a little bigger). If I buy at a physical store will they still charge for the extra service of resizing? Would online stores offer to resize like that?

Neph_sl

shitlord
I used Blue Nile to get a feel for pricing vs quality, but I bought at a diamond importer. I felt that if I was going to drop a good chunk of cash on a rock, I want to see the actual rock that's going to be on the ring. Blue Nile is pretty reputable though, so if you're okay with not seeing it when you buy it, then I don't think you can go wrong with them.

The store where I got my wife's ring from had a 1 year warranty that includes resizing. We had to replace a side-stone once, and since it cost nothing, it was a pretty nice thing to have. They even did it within an hour since they have on-site goldsmiths.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Resizing isn't expensive and any good jewelry store can do it.

Also don't buy diamonds.