Engagement rings

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Every person and couple is different. I'm sure my wife would've been happy if I went out and bought her a ring and then totally surprised her with it. But if I did that I would get a fairly neutral/boring ring and I knew my wife wanted something different, unique and specific. So I had her design a ring from the ground up. She more proud of the design of the metal than the gems in it.
Early in our relationship, when i had some idea of wanting the marry the girl, I said to her 'don't expect a proposal any time soon, but please go through the internet and save 100 images of engagement rings you like in a folder on my desktop'. I was able to extrapolate quite easily from that. We got engaged 1.5years later & she loved the ring I chose.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My wife just told me her favorite cuts and that she preferred white gold. The rest was up to me.

I had suggested we go looking but it was pretty self explanatory.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Every person and couple is different. I'm sure my wife would've been happy if I went out and bought her a ring and then totally surprised her with it. But if I did that I would get a fairly neutral/boring ring and I knew my wife wanted something different, unique and specific. So I had her design a ring from the ground up. She more proud of the design of the metal than the gems in it.
I learned my lesson when I was young and dumb and bought various jewelry for various girlfriends. Most of the time they never wore it because they didn't really like it. Earrings, necklaces, bracelets, whatever. When I got with my wife I absolutely had her pick out the ring. I didn't give her an exact budget to stick to, but I went shopping with her enough to figure out her style, and most importantly what styles she HATED (cathedral settings, princess-cut diamonds, etc), so I knew exactly what kind of setting and shape of diamond she wanted. At that point all I had to do was decide my budget and find the best diamond that fit it.

If you're going to 100% surprise your woman, make sure your jeweler has a full exchange policy, good chance you're taking that one back and exchanging it for one she actually likes. Oddly enough, women are pretty particular about the style of something that they envision themselves wearing every day for the next 50 years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I thought my wife liked the jewelry I bought her while we were dating.. haven't seen her wear the fancy earrings I bought in ages. Usually she wears a pair of earrings that are just corgi heads
frown.png

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Meh, if it makes the woman happy and you have the money to do it, why not? What else are you going to spend a few grand on that'll get used every day for the next 30+ years?

I'll spend more on computers and video games in the next 5 years than I spent on her ring, and that shit will be totally worthless within a decade. You could argue that a diamond ring is more practical than any car or piece of electronics. Those won't be functionally useful for nearly as long.
This was my thought process when I reasoned out how much to spend on my wife's ring. It makes me shake my head a little when I see a guy buy a $500 ring when his gaming equipment is 2x (or more) expensive. What message does this send? I realize other relationships have far more depth than what outsiders see, but I decided for ME (not her), I would be more comfortable at least achieving parity between my gaming hardware (that I'll throw away in a few years) and a ring that may be passed down through multiple generations.

Two important fundamentals: a ring purchase comes out of disposable income, this sum of $ will never be the difference between solvent/insolvent.

I think a lot of men who are vehemently against spending money on a ring are NOT treating this as their gift to her... they're already running the whole ("Well, this is money that could be used for a future house...") logic and if you applied that to their gaming computer it'd be equally true. Any decent woman is going to struggle to argue against this logic -- they don't want to come across as materialistic, no more than I would by saving my "whatever I want" portion of my budget and buying a nice monitor.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yep. It's actually even more interesting when you get down into the details and you see the various things the marketing company actually did, and more quotes from people involved in the scam, er, marketing campaign.
Of course they are a fucking scam. It isn't the "diamond" that your chick is lusting after, it's the status symbol that "my man can afford a 30,000 dollar ring" brings. Sure, a car or something else has far more use, but it's far less visible. Especially when at the office, out at the mall, at the amusement park, etc.

I'm not exactly an expert on anthropology, but I am merely suggesting this is the biggest cause for the shift in attitudes in the last 100 years. Beyond a diamond cartel marketing department.
Well, it had to change, because society changed. Being bigger, stronger, faster, etc. isn't very valuable anymore, now that we've shed that whole "hunter/gatherer" phase. Naturally, women being the gatekeepers to sex, found others ways to show that they are "provided" for.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Women being the gate keepers of sex? What the fuck -- is this friendzone logic? The only men I know who say this shit are guys in bad shape with bad grooming habits who think they're way more attractive than they actually are and are perplexed that women don't agree so its somehow their fault.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Women being the gate keepers of sex? What the fuck -- is this friendzone logic? The only men I know who say this shit are guys in bad shape with bad grooming habits who think they're way more attractive than they actually are and are perplexed that women don't agree so its somehow their fault.
YrTkPIt.jpg

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you don't think an attractive woman has about a million more "options" for suitors than an equally attractive male, I don't know what to tell you. Sure, both will probably get laid/find a mate, but to act like men have just as much control over the "buy/sell" mechanic of sex? You're being completely dishonest with yourself.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If you don't think an attractive woman has about a million more "options" for suitors than an equally attractive male, I don't know what to tell you. Sure, both will probably get laid/find a mate, but to act like men have just as much control over the "buy/sell" mechanic of sex? You're being completely dishonest with yourself.
I'm not trying to be antagonistic with this question, how old are you? I could see a young broke 20 year old being pissed off that it seems like the hot chicks run the show. This dynamic changes as men learn to be confident and acquire assets/wealth. I am going to guess that any well-paid in-shape 40+ year old men on this forum would agree that the ball is strongly in their court for dating... maybe even 30+.

For the record, I grew up making minimum wage -- had a brief stint making significantly more playing online poker -- then enlisted and just got out recently. I've NEVER felt that women are the gatekeepers of sex; but this is probably because when I was single, I didn't set out looking to transact for sex. I only mention this in case you reference wealth as a mandatory transaction medium.

If you're a cool and fun person, women will want to be around you, and some of them will want to sleep with you.

If you're a shallow husk of a man, bitter because he feels like he has to pay gatekeepers for sex, you will exude a creepy vibe and you'll have to pay more every time.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
This is insane. Maybe when you were fucking 18-25. Beyond that, men have so many more options disproportionately to women it's a joke (and that grows exponentially the older you get). Add the power of 10 to that if you're a real man and make a lot of money. Sure, it's easier for a woman to get laid than a man - and that probably never changes - but to find a mate/partner?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
If you're a cool and fun person, women will want to be around you, and some of them will want to sleep with you.
I'm 29 and married. I even conceded the point that an equally attractive male will have options also(replace attractive with anything else. Fun, cool, wealthy, etc.). However, you simply aren't being realistic if you think that a comparatively equal woman doesn't havemoreoptions. Women are sex sellers, men are sex buyers. I'm not talking about prostitution(in case you had that impression), I'm referring to how the dynamic surrounding sex between male/female works. It's always been this way, likely always will(baring some catastrophic shift in population ratios).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This is insane. Maybe when you were fucking 18-25. Beyond that, men have so many more options disproportionately to women it's a joke (and that grows exponentially the older you get). Add the power of 10 to that if you're a real man and make a lot of money. Sure, it's easier for a woman to get laid than a man - and that probably never changes - but to find a mate/partner?
Right, you're comparing a 35-40 year old, wealthy, attractive male to a female of the same age. Of course the playing field shifts. However, give me a moderately successful female, attractive, not crazy, in the 25-30 range(face it, none of them under 25 are non-crazy)?

If you want to move the goalposts, sure, men might have points where they pull even/have a slight edge. But, for the vast majority of the "courting" ages? Females absolutely hold the power.

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Kirun is right, I'm a fairly successful 31 year old of average attractiveness, if I was interested in dating moderately attractive 31 year old women it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. But I set my sights a little higher, which is why my girlfriend is better looking and 6 years younger than me.

And yes, the amount of work required to date or fuck more attractive, younger women, is harder. But the fact that "I" was the one having to prove myself, even unattractive women don't seek out men, unless they are extremely desperate, and even then I find it pretty sad and pathetic when it happens rarely.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Kirun is right, I'm a fairly successful 31 year old of average attractiveness, if I was interested in dating moderately attractive 31 year old women it'd be like shooting fish in a barrel. But I set my sights a little higher, which is why my girlfriend is better looking and 6 years younger than me.

And yes, the amount of work required to date or fuck more attractive, younger women, is harder. But the fact that "I" was the one having to prove myself, even unattractive women don't seek out men, unless they are extremely desperate, and even then I find it pretty sad and pathetic when it happens rarely.
TL;DR I'm an old lecher who was going after women I had no shot and struck out constantly with until some dumb "hot" chick who wanted an older man so she could feel mature said yes.

That is pretty much what that quote sounds like to an outsider. You're dating a goddamn 25 year old. As a fellow 31 year old male I can tell you with staunch confidence it would take a lot of convincing from mutual friends that a 25 year old is well beyond her years for me to even consider it. You're bragging that your girlfriend is barely an adult but that's ok "cuz she's hot bros". And from my experience, a 25 year old is in a completely different place in life than I am at 31.

Women are not the gatekeepers of sex. In fact, say that to a well adjusted female you know. Tell her that women are the gatekeepers of sex. She'll probably laugh at you. If you don't treat sex like a carrot on a stick it becomes a lot easier to have a genuine interaction with someone. I can't even imagine a single 30+ male pretending that women hold all the cards to sex.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Really, 31 and 25 is a big deal to you?

And the whole "gatekeeper of sex" thing is really referring to the fact that in general we want their pussy more than they want our dick. And their pussy tends to be more of a commodity to us than our dicks are to them. They have men offering them dick from like puberty onward. No one starts offering most of us pussy until we get at least into our 20's and more established. High school/college sluts not withstanding, but we aren't really talking about hooking up with skanks for a night in this discussion. And even then its more like drunk at a party once a week or so, not every minute of every day like women have men throwing themselves at their feet.

For some guys, they never start getting women throwing themselves at them, ever. Lots of guys simply aren't that physically attractive and as a result develop a poor cycle of low self esteem and self perpetuating bad habits that sabotage any effort to engage women. A guy with looks and assets can learn to work the dynamic for himself and not put the pussy on a pedestal, but to deny the dynamic exists in the first place is nonsense.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
They have men offering them dick from like puberty onward. No one starts offeringmost of uspussy until we get at least into our 20's and more established.
This is the key issue here, and it IS accurate. But what cracks me up is all the men in the bottom 75 percent complaining about the gatekeepin' hoes when they're not nearly as attractive and fun to be around as they think, which leads to inflated and unrealistic standards. Sure; you can't fix your fucked up mug -- but a man with fun hobbies, an athletic build, and a decent tan ought to crush any social environment. Key takeaway: this guy isn't going out obviously trying to get laid -- hes so accustomed to sex just being a part of his life that he doesn't ooze desperation like all of you living your own self-fulfilling prophecy of "men have to try harder".

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really, 31 and 25 is a big deal to you?

And the whole "gatekeeper of sex" thing is really referring to the fact that in general we want their pussy more than they want our dick. And their pussy tends to be more of a commodity to us than our dicks are to them. They have men offering them dick from like puberty onward. No one starts offering most of us pussy until we get at least into our 20's and more established. High school/college sluts not withstanding, but we aren't really talking about hooking up with skanks for a night in this discussion. And even then its more like drunk at a party once a week or so, not every minute of every day like women have men throwing themselves at their feet.

For some guys, they never start getting women throwing themselves at them, ever. Lots of guys simply aren't that physically attractive and as a result develop a poor cycle of low self esteem and self perpetuating bad habits that sabotage any effort to engage women. A guy with looks and assets can learn to work the dynamic for himself and not put the pussy on a pedestal, but to deny the dynamic exists in the first place is nonsense.

If you're a man and you're single into your 40's & 50's (even 30's) and you don't have women throwing themselves at you, you need to get another fucking job. I have plenty of pud friends making barely 6 figures who can't keep crazy bitches away, and they aren't great looking guys by any means.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
31 and 25 isn't a big gap, really. I just turned 38 and I consider that a pretty big gap for 25, but when I was 31 that was pretty much the age group I was dating the most(23 - 28ish).

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
If you're a man and you're single into your 40's & 50's (even 30's) and you don't have women throwing themselves at you, you need to get another fucking job. I have plenty of pud friends making barely 6 figures who can't keep crazy bitches away, and they aren't great looking guys by any means.
"barely 6 figures" is more than almost 80% of the country'shouseholdincome. Of course it's easier to get laid when you're making more money. Any other hot tips to share?!