Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Goonsquad Officer
Anno 1800 is "epic store exclusive" but i got it on steam before the iron curtain came down.

at the startup screen it shows "season pass, DLC1! click here". so i back out, search steam. no DLC, no anno at all cus: iron curtain.

go back in. follow the link. link takes me to uplay. uplay has "buy DLC" i click it. takes me to a thing that says "how you paying foo?" I click steam. it launches steam, taking me to a steam page for the DLC. i buy it on steam.

did the anno folks get their cake and eat it too? was their contract "no selling in the steam store" but it's being done through some processing shit?

thought it was interesting.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anno 1800 is "epic store exclusive" but i got it on steam before the iron curtain came down.

at the startup screen it shows "season pass, DLC1! click here". so i back out, search steam. no DLC, no anno at all cus: iron curtain.

go back in. follow the link. link takes me to uplay. uplay has "buy DLC" i click it. takes me to a thing that says "how you paying foo?" I click steam. it launches steam, taking me to a steam page for the DLC. i buy it on steam.

did the anno folks get their cake and eat it too? was their contract "no selling in the steam store" but it's being done through some processing shit?

thought it was interesting.

I think it's because you already have the game on Steam, I doubt you can actually buy the full game on Steam through Uplay.

Also, who still plays Anno? They're basically Madden at this point.

Goonsquad Officer
I skipped the last one (the weird moon one) so i was wanting to see how they were :)

spronk

FPS noob
for those interested on the business side of things, it looks like Epic Games paid the makers of Control $9.5m euros before the game was even released. Half went to the publisher and half went to the developer.

I believe that is not just a straight up payment but "guarantees" against first year sales, but interestingly it was paid before the game was even put out. The budget on Control is estimated in the $20-30m USD range so getting a $10m payout before release is pretty goddamn good, especially since it still allowed them to put the game out on ps4/xb1.

Anyways just kinda shows the price ranges of the deals we are seeing, I wonder how much 2K got for Borderlands 3. For any publisher/dev, I imagine its gonna be super hard to turn down any sort of deal like this.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
There is no way Epic is making money on this right now. They are just funneling money from Fortnite

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Too bad they aren't funneling any of it into actually developing their store or client. At least we can still look forward to the day when that retarded fad finally dies and EGS still doesn't have any sort of functional infrastructure.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
There is no way Epic is making money on this right now. They are just funneling money from Fortnite
They're pretty clearly betting everything on using these exclusivity deals to hopefully supplant Steam before the mountain of Fortnite money finishes burning to the ground, and they have to start depending on the quality of their service to attract and retain customers. Considering how fucking annoyed the gamer-sphere appears to be with Epic's store, I'd be fascinated to know just how close they are to meeting that goal.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
I don't see why steam needs to die yet.

They aren't stifling the market. If anything their ineffective attempts at curating have been too lienent. Which is the right mistake to make.

The business itself is high risk high reward.

• 1Like

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I don't see why steam needs to die yet.

They aren't stifling the market. If anything their ineffective attempts at curating have been too lienent. Which is the right mistake to make.

The business itself is high risk high reward.

Steam needs to fail so they make HL3.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Imagine the massive butthurt if seam was to "fail". The amount of money tied up into games that you wouldn't have anymore. Of course they would sell off that part and such. But if someone reason (pretty much unthinkable) they just shut it all down.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Relevant cross post from Hearthstone thread and a meme I made for it.

Epic Store record scratch.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Relevant cross post from Hearthstone thread and a meme I made for it.

View attachment 226090

Yes, because Tim Sweeney has always known to be a paragon of truth.

You retards reacting like this toward Blizzard, like you're an activist or something make my dick hurt. Blizzard is retarded, laugh at them. Stop pretending to care about Hong Kong you SJW-light.

• 2Salty
  • 1EyeRoll
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Yes, because Tim Sweeney has always known to be a paragon of truth.

You retards reacting like this toward Blizzard, like you're an activist or something make my dick hurt. Blizzard is retarded, laugh at them. Stop pretending to care about Hong Kong you SJW-light.

You can get ultra fucked for being a wannabe edgelord.

Blizzard proving that they care more about Chinese money than gamers is the last step in a slow torturous decline from the top of the heap.

This download is more about the irony that Blizzard are now more about the money than the Epic fucking Game Store is since the head of the company just royally pissed off a 40% shareholder to affirm the primacy of the gamer. It may not stick but it is refreshing nonetheless.

Don't get snippy with those on the board who have actual fucking principles they live by and reward companies for upholding you fucking mewling neophyte. You obviously haven't been here long enough to learn when to shut your fucking retarded mouth.

• 6Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users