Epic Games Storefront - A Good Incentive for Piracy

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I think it's for a couple'a possible reasons.

1. They want all the money. If this means going back to Steam, so be it. 70% of something is a lot better than 100% of nothing.
2. They're starting to lose money with Origin Prime. This is a theory. But they're starting to see prime cutoffs and re-enacts and then cut-offs again.

EDIT : Premiere. Whatever.

We'll get some hint of this if it's accurate from earnings this week. I think it's baked-in/expected behavior. It's why you incent with discounts on annual services. They've got their own cloud streaming service coming too, which will see the same thing. Though I wouldn't be surprised to see the next quarter or three to reflect a lot of sunk costs preparing for Gen 5.

A bit about user behavior from their last earnings call:

Clay Griffin -- Deutsche Bank -- Analyst
Hey guys, thanks for taking the question. Blake, I just want to follow up on what you talk to that in terms of learnings coming out of on Microsoft EA Access and just if we can get an update on what you're seeing in terms of user behavior. I know it's early days with Sony. But what you're seeing there relative willingness to engage with live services on those platforms. Any color there would be helpful? Thanks.​
Blake Jorgense -- Chief Operating Officer and Chief Financial Officer
Yes, I mean what still be first saw is pretty much stay true across almost all of the platforms is that people learned a playing twice as many games as they did before they joined the service, which is kind of a no-brainer, because that's what you would typically see -- say on a Netflix or a Spotify or others because you've reduced some of the friction of trial essentially. But we also find that people play their games a lot longer, meaning, they found a game that they really enjoy playing that they didn't know about. And so it's the discovery aspects of where service goes, which helps a lot. And then if it has a live service on it like an Ultimate Team, they start to spend more money than they did before they went into the service and part of that may be subscription behavior where oftentimes people think they're getting things for free and are willing to spend on them.​
And sometimes it's just they found something they didn't know that they wanted to play and they get deeply engaged in that. And so we're trying to reduce the friction of trial to see new games and learn about things that they didn't know or didn't want to spend money on getting in by giving them an amazing economic ***Part07***​
***Part08*** economic value to start a subscription and that stayed true across all of the platforms.​
And the one other piece is that you are going to wrestle with an anti-subscription is how do you manage the churn over time and you've got to curate dropping content into the subscriptions at a fairly predictable rate so people will stay in and we've been trying to do that by bringing third-party content and to help fill in the places where we don't have content and we don't necessarily have content every quarter. And we're thinking about how games might even change in terms of how they're developed over time to better match subscription. So you have more to come, but we're going to really good position. We have more subscribers than any other service in the industry by a long shot and I think a lot better experience base because of that.​

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Confirmed, EA returns to Steam with the new Star Wars game, even EA Access will be available on Steam.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yah, just coming here to post that. Wonder how long until we can see some of the older games on Steam, as well.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
EA Access has been unique to each platform, so it seems likely that will be the case for Steam also and there would be a library established (EA and non-EA) for that platform's subscription. So think it's reasonable to expect to a large influx of catalog titles.

Though really I'd prefer a more symbiotic approach to Steam/Origin for the partnership. I have Origin Premier, let that just benefit me on Steam also (but then how does Steam benefit unless 'you're still using our platform' is enough - which I doubt).

Now give us Origin Premier Ultimate for another $30/year that grants us access to all the subscription services they have on each platform :p. If NHL was on PC not sure I'd care about anything but their PC offering though until next gen.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
SOMA is an incredible game. One of the most atmospheric and best game-stories I have ever played. It is right up there with Deadspace and Bioshock for immersion.

Check this game out, it is so good.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
whats the point of the remember me button on the website if it makes me relogin every day :(

new free games nuclear throne and ruiner

The Messanger (heard its a great game) is the next free game next week

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Posted this in the Unreal Engine thread, but Epic is doing another amazing thing for users of their Engine, it's so crazy I'm posting here too for those that never go to the tech forum:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I bought into Phoenix Point before it became an Epic store exclusive early in the year and I played around with an earlier build of it and found it to be worthwhile.

Well it is launching soon and the game is mostly feature complete. So I finally sat down today and started checking it out and it seems pretty fleshed out, with just more content, challenge, etc. than the 2k Xcom titles.

Take it for what its worth I haven't put 100s of hours into it but definitely if you are into turn based tactical combat games like Xcom, this should be on your radar.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Take it for what its worth I haven't put 100s of hours into it but definitely if you are into turn based tactical combat games like Xcom, this should be on your radar.

It should be more than on your radar, it's Julian fucking Gollop. But fuck him for going Epic exclusive.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Money talks but I'm platform agnostic so I'm okay with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So what happens to the shit you bought on Origin? You still have to use that piece of shit or will they give it to you on Steam?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Origin isn't going anywhere. EA games returning to Steam will still use Origin also it appears and EA isn't getting rid of their own storefront and their subscription services it supports.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I can log into my account on the Epic game store website, and it asks for the code that was emailed to me and it works fine. I got the email within seconds. It asks the same thing when I launch the actual game store App, but the email never gets sent. Checked all my folders, etc and upon Googling it appears that it's a common thing.

So no matter what I do, I can't login and do shit with the Epic Game store.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So no matter what I do, I can't login and do shit with the Epic Game store.
Well, you could try to log in with another account.

Then you download the games on that account so you can play them for free when you finally can log in with your normal account (yes, apparently this is/was a real thing)