EQ Classic? Not really.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!
I was digging through my storage area yesterday trying to find an old school SNES controller, I want to modify it to work on my computer for emulators because the replica controllers on amazon look so cheap.

Anyways

Then I found an unopened scars of velious boxed set lol. Old game boxes were fucking huge. I guess it's not the correct version though because I posted about it on eqclassic.

I did do a quick search of amazon and ebay though and there are a surprisingly large amount of unopened copies of the required client out there. I'm going to pick me up a copy.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
srsly dont know if i can play eq without the titanium client at this point.

it runs so smooth that after playing p99 it just feels shitty using any other client so far.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Speaking of clients, I was just thinking that (and don't hate me for saying this) Tyen might not have had the worst idea in the world to try and get an EverQuest client recreated.

If the goal is to keep classic EQ alive, then the next step is to recreate the client after the server is done. The final step would be to find artists to create public domain models/animations/sounds. This is a tall order of course, but consider the possibilities:

A modern client using modern middleware solutions would eliminate any hoops people would have to jump through to get the game running (beyond copying the world assets if those were not recreated), and provide a much better experience for the players overall. Any client bugs would be easily fixed, and the server would no longer have to conform to what a static client released 12 years ago wants.

Using something like Unity or Hero engine would give you instant world building tools for custom content. I would prefer an MIT licensed client using something like Ogre3D however, but that would require custom tools be made. Using 100% open source, freely licensed code ensures that the game survives when platforms do not, as porting the game becomes trivial.

A full high fantasy asset library for MMORPGs licensed under CC BY is sort of a holy grail for me and would be the best thing to happen to MMOGs since the conversion from text based MUDs to immersive 3D worlds. Your server/game could completely copy EQ's gameplay, but be 100% immune from any and all legal threats. You could charge money for your server and use it to make it better if not outright make a business out of it. (obviously you'd have to rename things)

Make the server, client, and assets all public domain and what you'll see is something like what MUDs have in that any joe can just download the game and build his own custom version of it based off of an already fully functioning game; with the best ideas winning the most users, and a flavor of the game for every taste. Allowing commercial use would dramatically increase proliferation and the quality of derivative games.

The problem with open sourcing games is that games are extremely subjective. When developing other kinds of software, the best solution is generally obvious and there is not much issue when selecting which solution is chosen to solve a problem. Games, (at least the gameplay components) are not like this at all. An open source classic EverQuest clone provides the template game everybody can agree on, as well as an end-point as MMORPGs are never truly 'complete'.

This would immortalize EQ far more than anything else that could be done.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
srsly dont know if i can play eq without the titanium client at this point.

it runs so smooth that after playing p99 it just feels shitty using any other client so far.
What other clients have you used and what problems did you have with them? I've never really felt one client was significantly superior to another provided you have a decent ui available to you.

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
The titanium client has target rings, a frame rate limiter, and buff timers to name a few big ones. Even EQ Mac's client doesn't have those. To be honest I've felt that Project 1999 provided a superior game experience because of things like these. I'm all for the old school gameplay, but target rings and buff timers don't make the game harder, they make it more annoying. You can easily use 3rd party tools to monitor log files to get buff timers. (assuming you don't log out) On EQ Mac, I constantly hit esc before targeting same-name mobs to make sure they are targeted.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
The Trilogy client doesn't allow any chat channels beyond the defaults either. There's a pretty strong anti voice chat bias over on the EQC forums. I read those opinions over there on the topic and think to myself how all of that is gonna change once the raiding game heats up.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Big time nub, there will be chat channels. You will just need to log outto use them.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
How will the EQclassic team combat RMT? Just trying to see how viable of a market this will be.

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
Ok so... assuming a good playerbase this will be the second coming of P99's RMT game? Cya at evil eye!

Royal

Ok so... assuming a good playerbase this will be the second coming of P99's RMT game? Cya at evil eye!
Evil eye might not be all that much of a cash cow. I remember reading on their forums back what seems like years ago now that the devs are looking at making all of the major nerfed/removed items very rare, random world drops from any mob above a certain level, like the Box of Abu-kar originally was.

Royal

Supposedly there will not be any 2 boxing allowed. I wonder how they will swing that
Dunno where you got your info from, but the only thing approaching an official stance on boxing that I've read on their forums was one of the devs saying there isn't a fair way to police it that doesn't require overt amounts of GM involvement. I got the impression that it's still up in the air really.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I thought I read somewhere that Yeahlight wasn't even going to be involved with the hosting/gm'ing of the server; he was just going to make the code public once it was done.