EQ Classic? Not really.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
A miniscule amount of people would want to play some custom content built on top of a 14 year old game. Everybody just wants to slay the dragons they know and love in their 14 year old game.

Vaporware.

piggvomit_sl

shitlord
A miniscule amount of people would want to play some custom content built on top of a 14 year old game. Everybody just wants to slay the dragons they know and love in their 14 year old game.

Vaporware.
This.- As I waited almost 5 years of my life wasting and visiting that god forsaken website just to find out he's NOT GOING TO DO IT. Fuck em.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Custom EQ? That's like Satan worship.

Peace and Humptiness forever, Yeahlight. You were the coding chosen one. You were supposed to bring the classic, not destroy it.

pointyboot

Bronze Knight of the Realm
If the only thing that changes is loot but zone connections and mob types stay the same then sign me up.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hey, Amod, request that this thread be renamed "EQ UnClassic".

Stosh

His the reason a modern day EQ would tank. He was so selfish with content. Has the social skills of a rock and the personality of white latex paint.

The guild bank had tons of AoW loot, and I mean a ton. Id say 8-9 extra BoC's Floating around and legs/masks/helms for any alt that even remotely makes it to raids. I even had to 4 box at night to down stuff some officer's alt could get gear instead of the next guild in progression.

Deep down I know there is RMT happening. I'm fine with how RMT worked back when EQ first came out. Now its guilds farming content for plat and items to sell to the masses that don't have the chance of getting said loot unless they are in the "in" crowd, or buy plat. I see this with TMO on P99 as we speak. Platlord is being supplied by highend raiders with items and plat.
My time in EoE was hilarious. The daily ranting and raving by Damdor was far more entertaining than the game itself.

2002User

Done
- Created by Yeahlight on Oct 15, 2013 -
The feedback I have received in private (PM, e-mail, etc.) has been downright appalling--truly shameful remarks. I have never had the displeasure of leading so many entitled individuals and I am utterly embarrassed to be associated with this community.

If he wishes to continue tolerating your nonsense, I am leaving things to Harakiri. If you have anything terribly important you want to save from private messages, back them up now; I will be nuking them prior to transferring the forum database.

Regardless of what Harakiri decides to do, if you think I am about to hand over my work to someone else, think again.

To the dozen or so people I would have loved to create a server for, I am truly sorry I will not be able to deliver one.
Guess that's it...

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
Nice excuse not to release the product we all have known for some time was vaporware.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Done
The feedback I have received in private (PM, e-mail, etc.) has been downright appalling--truly shameful remarks. I have never had the displeasure of leading so many entitled individuals and I am utterly embarrassed to be associated with this community.

If he wishes to continue tolerating your nonsense, I am leaving things to Harakiri. If you have anything terribly important you want to save from private messages, back them up now; I will be nuking them prior to transferring the forum database.

Regardless of what Harakiri decides to do, if you think I am about to hand over my work to someone else, think again.

To the dozen or so people I would have loved to create a server for, I am truly sorry I will not be able to deliver one.
i would fucking love to read his inbox.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
I haven't followed this at all, but this guy is so full of shit. He's just making up excuses to mitigate backlash from the community.

Mesenkomaha_sl

shitlord
I was really looking forward to this project. Does anyone have the inside scoop on this ending? It looked like he had it pretty much set to go and then just cans the project?

The excuse of cancelling over some mean emails is just laughable. He wasted five years of development over some PMs from people who REALLY wanted to play EQ classic? Oh noes.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I called it so fucking long ago. Called them a bunch of vaporware denial shits last year and they all told me I was an idiot for doubting. It was just so fucking obvious that they weren't doing anything and weren't going to finish.

Mesenkomaha_sl said:
The excuse of cancelling over some mean emails is just laughable. He wasted five years of development over some PMs from people who REALLY wanted to play EQ classic? Oh noes.
Probably the same thing as with Kegz and The Sleeper: they can't admit the pathetic failure it is to end up with nothing after years of work, so they blame some arbitrary thing and gtfo before anyone can confront them with it. Bonus points for the strategically placed Big Change(tm) immediately before the vanishing act in order to create an excuse for abandoning ship. Kegz claimed that he would make the server invite only in order to prevent hackers, Yeahlight announced that he would be making custom content. It's textbook avoidance of responsibility. "I wanted to do something different (read: retarded and outrageous) and you people just don'tappreciateme, so I'm out! This is beneath me! Harrumph!!"

In fact, let's translate this shit:

Done
Translation: the alleged reason for my ragequit needs to be something you fuckers can't verify so I can claim to have been the victim of death threats or whatever it takes for me to feel justified in abandoning this project. No examples, no citations, just "they said mean things in private." Sufficiently vague that nobody can really mount a claim against its validity.

Translation: in order to prevent anyone from discovering the fact that I made up that shit about appalling PMs, I'm nuking the PM database so I can always say they were lost even if somebody gets access to it after I'm gone.

Translation: I haven't even got a product that I feel confident enough to hand over to someone else. I spent five years accomplishing so little that I have to pretend I have moral reasons not to let someone take over so people won't find out exactly how unimpressive my work is.

Translation: I need to look like I'm sad that the server won't happen because I can't admit that I'm relieved to escape the responsibility. I also need to insinuate that there are so few people here whom I tolerate that completing the project just doesn't make practical sense. This will make it seem like less of a defeat and more of a moral objection.

Yeahlight buddypal, you are like an open book.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The head fake original content/backlash was inventive, I suppose--it's like a kid breaking his own toy after getting into a fight so he could escape blame. He should just have admitted he had issues which he needed Sony to resolve and they refused, and he can't release without it. End of story.

yraapt_sl

shitlord
Does anyone have the inside scoop on this ending? It looked like he had it pretty much set to go and then just cans the project?
Supposedly he had the framework finished and just needed the data (zones/npcs/loot/etc). He provided a beta server and some people here tested it claiming it was the next EQJesus. Then out of the blue he decides he wants to partner with SOE. He says without their approval and their dataset he won't do it. Smells like bullshit to me. Why wait 5 years to ask for SOE's blessing?

axeman_sl

shitlord
I heard it wasn't actually EQJesus except people were bedazzled by the mint classic UI and somehow interpreted this as everything being perfectly classic. In terms of mechanical accuracy, it was supposedly closer to stock PEQ, which is to say the basic elements are there but everything is wildly inaccurate. If you show something only to your most devoted fanboys, you can get them to say it's fantastic. Kegz' backpatters also swore The Sleeper was great before we lifted the curtain on that bitch.