EQ: Classless.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
What second class do you think would be interesting for a monk? I was thinking that mage could be funny apart from the mana issue but what about berserker? I know nothing about that class, would it be a waste or do they get anything interesting that could synergize? Or would you merely gain the ability to swing an axe.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
What second class do you think would be interesting for a monk? I was thinking that mage could be funny apart from the mana issue but what about berserker? I know nothing about that class, would it be a waste or do they get anything interesting that could synergize? Or would you merely gain the ability to swing an axe.
There's no mana issue on any class; the mechanics changed to always include mana and endurance on every class.

Mana won't ever regen in combat, and endurance is at an equilibrium of 50% - meaning you regen upwards to 50% passively, and using abilities drains your endurance.
Mana regen spells are turned into endurance regen spells. It's to give melee / casters basically the same balance. A monk/mage can actually work if you pick a dexterity or agility and stamina build. They'll also have access to mend, which is changed to be on a 60s cooldown and is the only instant complete heal in the game.

Berserker's in a rough state, and I think they need new abilities in general. I plan on redoing them sometime after launch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Enchanter! Monkchanter could get some shit done.

• 1Worf

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Woah, what did you do to the graphics?
Decreased fog in all zones, added older spell effects, turned off luclin models, and added MQ2 nameplates as baseline, along with a gameplay implementation of MQ2Map where you can have tracking on your hotbar.

I also changed the merc UI, the inventory HUD is a bit more compact and readable (and supports int64 values)

Check about 08:28 in the video, you'll see me loading "Awful Tracking and "Feeble Tracking" and my range on the map will increase.

While I am swapped to the Shaman, it will be very close to the player - almost like 3 units range - but the mobs will display, nameless, on the map unless they're within your range.

The server is technically infinitely scalable with the ability to fine tune encounters. Players won't scale to their opponents, I mean this in a server administrative sense - we set the stat distribution, we set the level of the mob, slightly adjust its difficulty slider and that's all the work we have to do, the content otherwise creates itself.

Here's an example of Xegony's stats:

1679414180242.png

Right now, mobs without a spell list will also inherit the player spell list. We also made all snakes monks, because that's funny as fuck. Here's a level 7 blackburrow snake:

1679414364108.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Decreased fog in all zones, added older spell effects, turned off luclin models, and added MQ2 nameplates as baseline, along with a gameplay implementation of MQ2Map where you can have tracking on your hotbar.

I also changed the merc UI, the inventory HUD is a bit more compact and readable (and supports int64 values)

Check about 08:28 in the video, you'll see me loading "Awful Tracking and "Feeble Tracking" and my range on the map will increase.

While I am swapped to the Shaman, it will be very close to the player - almost like 3 units range - but the mobs will display, nameless, on the map unless they're within your range.

The server is technically infinitely scalable with the ability to fine tune encounters. Players won't scale to their opponents, I mean this in a server administrative sense - we set the stat distribution, we set the level of the mob, slightly adjust its difficulty slider and that's all the work we have to do, the content otherwise creates itself.

View attachment 464702

Right now, mobs without a spell list will also inherit the player spell list. We also made all snakes monks, because that's funny as fuck. Here's a level 7 blackburrow snake:

View attachment 464703

That's pretty cool, how long did it all take you?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
That's pretty cool, how long did it all take you?
This has been an off and on passion project since like... 2020. We took several month breaks each time.

I'd say Chainbreaker itself in terms of new code was at least 4 weeks of work on the merc system alone. Then extra client support was another 4 weeks of work. As in, actually time spent engineering systems.

It's still not fully bug free. The group code is fucked and I have to fix that. Launch may be a bit buggy. But it's progress being made again.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 464702

View attachment 464703
Are those GM windows a standard part of the client or are they your work?

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Are those GM windows a standard part of the client or are they your work?
Those are our work, but they're modified versions of the ones shipped in EQEmu.

We added onto a few fields that are contextually relevant to our server since combat's significantly different.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Those are our work, but they're modified versions of the ones shipped in EQEmu.

We added onto a few fields that are contextually relevant to our server since combat's significantly different.
somehow I didn't even know that EQEmu had that. very very handy I'm sure, nice not having to externally refer back to the database when you're down in the weeds logged in to the server.

was discussing with someone on Reddit who is part of a revival project for some sunsetted game... never told me what game it was, but he was pretty young... didn't know what EverQuest was. when I told him about some of the stuff that y'all have pulled off with EQEmu and it kind of blew his mind.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Here's the post we're putting on EQEmulator / Reddit, etc:

Amod Amod could we get the main post updated with this info, or should it be its own thread?

Hi folks,

I'd like to announce that Chainbreaker, a new server by the Classless developers, is set to launch on April 1st, 2023.

Chainbreaker is a server we theorycrafted after running EQ Classless. We had various iterations between now and then, and the one we currently have is the one we're going to settle on. We've been working on this project off and on with hiatuses over the last few years, and we've finally got the core gameplay in a state which we find acceptable to launch.

The core features of the server revolve around multiclassing, but with a twist: you 'reincarnate' from specific level thresholds to get additional classes to use. Additionally, you can multi-race, and there are new major racials that each class can have.

This solves a major issue from EQ Classless where you simply ran out of content at a specific level, or ended up having the content become trivial.

I will warn you: there will likely be bugs and unpolished, rough-around-the-edges content. What we're doing with this server is unprecedented, and we've had to trick the game client into doing a LOT of what we want it to do. We also are employed people with jobs. This is our hobby, so keep that in mind.

CORE TENANTS
- A custom stat based system that allows you to increase your effective power by spending alternate advancement points.

- Reincarnate your character to get additional class and races on the same character.

- Inventory is shared throughout your account.

- Create up to three characters per account. Your three characters level together at the same rate.

- Personal loot. Every player ingame gets their own pool of items to loot from.

- Raiding has been condensed into 6-man content. We will be balancing every challenging encounter around 6 players. We will also be adding the custom fight mechanics that were present in Classless 2.0 - though with brand-new twists.

- Notable, challenging targets are subject to loot lockouts.

- Every equippable item in the game is flagged attunable, and in addition to being attunable, they will also auto-attune on trading, picking up a dropped item, or selling an item in the bazaar.

- All spells, skills, abilities, combat arts, and disciplines have been merged into the spellbook. This includes Kick.

- All damaging spells and skills have been converted to endurance-based spells. Depending on how much endurance you have, your attacks may deal more damage. Endurance will regenerate to 50%. The only way to increase your endurance further is by using regeneration spells. All former mana regens are now endurance regens.

- Heals are still mana-based, and mana no longer regenerates in combat - even through buffs. Your ability to succeed depends on your healers not being OOM.

- We created an entirely new mercenary system that lets you use your alternate characters as mercenaries, and you can swap to them without having to log out, as long as you are outside combat. Mercenaries contain their own AI and will use spells at their leisure, and can join your group.

- Lore and nodrop have been stripped from all items! However, all items are also now lore equip, in that you cannot equip two of the same item.

- Utility spells exist, such as the ability to summon your entire party to your location, provided you are not in combat, and the ability to return to the area where you last died.
- The bazaar has changed in functionality - you no longer have to visit the player you wish to buy items from, and you can simply just click buy to buy items from players on the /bazaar window, provided you are in the hub zone.

- Content will scale upwards in difficulty by increasing mob levels. Our systems allow us to do so without having to modify the content directly. Velious will increase by 10 levels, Luclin will increase by 20, and Planes of Power will be increased by 30.

- There is no effective level cap. However, it will take higher level requirements to reincarnate on each subsequent reincarnation.

- Planes of Power Era content available, with custom content added in the future.

- No multiboxing. 1 IP limit per player.

- No MacroQuest or other third party cheat tools allowed.

If you're interested in reading the full design document, it's located here:
Chainbreaker Server Features / Design

We'll be launching on April 1st, 2023! Looking forward to seeing you there.

You can click here to join our Discord to discuss and find out more information about the server.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Here's the post we're putting on EQEmulator / Reddit, etc:

Amod Amod could we get the main post updated with this info, or should it be its own thread?

Hi folks,

I'd like to announce that Chainbreaker, a new server by the Classless developers, is set to launch on April 1st, 2023.

Chainbreaker is a server we theorycrafted after running EQ Classless. We had various iterations between now and then, and the one we currently have is the one we're going to settle on. We've been working on this project off and on with hiatuses over the last few years, and we've finally got the core gameplay in a state which we find acceptable to launch.

The core features of the server revolve around multiclassing, but with a twist: you 'reincarnate' from specific level thresholds to get additional classes to use. Additionally, you can multi-race, and there are new major racials that each class can have.

This solves a major issue from EQ Classless where you simply ran out of content at a specific level, or ended up having the content become trivial.

I will warn you: there will likely be bugs and unpolished, rough-around-the-edges content. What we're doing with this server is unprecedented, and we've had to trick the game client into doing a LOT of what we want it to do. We also are employed people with jobs. This is our hobby, so keep that in mind.

CORE TENANTS
- A custom stat based system that allows you to increase your effective power by spending alternate advancement points.

- Reincarnate your character to get additional class and races on the same character.

- Inventory is shared throughout your account.

- Create up to three characters per account. Your three characters level together at the same rate.

- Personal loot. Every player ingame gets their own pool of items to loot from.

- Raiding has been condensed into 6-man content. We will be balancing every challenging encounter around 6 players. We will also be adding the custom fight mechanics that were present in Classless 2.0 - though with brand-new twists.

- Notable, challenging targets are subject to loot lockouts.

- Every equippable item in the game is flagged attunable, and in addition to being attunable, they will also auto-attune on trading, picking up a dropped item, or selling an item in the bazaar.

- All spells, skills, abilities, combat arts, and disciplines have been merged into the spellbook. This includes Kick.

- All damaging spells and skills have been converted to endurance-based spells. Depending on how much endurance you have, your attacks may deal more damage. Endurance will regenerate to 50%. The only way to increase your endurance further is by using regeneration spells. All former mana regens are now endurance regens.

- Heals are still mana-based, and mana no longer regenerates in combat - even through buffs. Your ability to succeed depends on your healers not being OOM.

- We created an entirely new mercenary system that lets you use your alternate characters as mercenaries, and you can swap to them without having to log out, as long as you are outside combat. Mercenaries contain their own AI and will use spells at their leisure, and can join your group.

- Lore and nodrop have been stripped from all items! However, all items are also now lore equip, in that you cannot equip two of the same item.

- Utility spells exist, such as the ability to summon your entire party to your location, provided you are not in combat, and the ability to return to the area where you last died.
- The bazaar has changed in functionality - you no longer have to visit the player you wish to buy items from, and you can simply just click buy to buy items from players on the /bazaar window, provided you are in the hub zone.

- Content will scale upwards in difficulty by increasing mob levels. Our systems allow us to do so without having to modify the content directly. Velious will increase by 10 levels, Luclin will increase by 20, and Planes of Power will be increased by 30.

- There is no effective level cap. However, it will take higher level requirements to reincarnate on each subsequent reincarnation.

- Planes of Power Era content available, with custom content added in the future.

- No multiboxing. 1 IP limit per player.

- No MacroQuest or other third party cheat tools allowed.

If you're interested in reading the full design document, it's located here:
Chainbreaker Server Features / Design

We'll be launching on April 1st, 2023! Looking forward to seeing you there.

You can click here to join our Discord to discuss and find out more information about the server.

Added to the first post.

• 1Potato

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does this apply to Shamans or does canni still function as usual? Also what about lifetaps?

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
nice job team

wasnt aware mercs were in eqemu, or is that some custom implementation only on classless

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
nice job team

wasnt aware mercs were in eqemu, or is that some custom implementation only on classless

There's mercs in eqemulator but they're horribly busted. Our implementation also lets you play your alts on your current account as a mercenary, and also swap to them on the fly without relogging and play as them, which EQ live doesn't even have!

There's a big trick with client hacking involving the GM rename packet that changes a players' name permanently without relogging, which lets you zone as if you were that player, and then you'll end up as the original player the world server thinks that you are when you zone again.

For changing the class on the fly, we override the class data the client thinks that it is, and we temporarily 'nop' out the message that appears when scribing and unscribing spells via a server driven message that tells the client to do that.

There's a lot of client fuckery here and some server tech that took months to write. So it should work - provided the client /also/ agrees with us.

Honestly, our implementation is better but the group code is still miserably fucked. I'm hoping to have time in the next 2 weeks to fix it. I know what needs to be done and have a handle on it, but it still just... eh... needs to be done.

Does this apply to Shamans or does canni still function as usual? Also what about lifetaps?

Canni would give endurance under the current setup. Shaman pure heals and HoTs are mana based.
Lifetaps are endurance based, but they're significantly weaker than you'd expect them to be and we've accounted for that in formulas that handle all lifetap spells, especially with group recourse taps.

Witless

Trakanon Raider
Will you have your own downloadable client with its own patcher, or will we need to download our own client while you provide the various updated files?