EQ F2P- Returning Players & Current Content

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
while rolling a character yesterday, i remembered -- all Vah Shir are Agnostic.

Agnostic Druid would have been so dumb.

Rita Poon_sl

shitlord
returning player here, played from Kunark release to just prior to GoD on The Nameless server, currently I have a 65 epic bard with no more than 20 something AA's, 49 sham, 46 enc, 51 rng.

I had a few questions:

1. With the staggering amount of content and changes that have happened to the game since I last played, would it be simpler to start fresh? I've logged onto my characters and found all kinds of bags and gear and random stuff and am totally overwhelmed.

2. How is the population on the test server? I've messed around on p99 and they're sitting at around 1000 during peak hours (when i'm at work).

3. I've never been interested in boxing, is it possible to solo + merc up to the higher end where groups are required? I'm not worried about efficiently and I'm in no rush.

4. Are exp groups still a thing or is everyone boxing till its raid time?

5. Related to question 1, given that I already have a bard with the first epic would it be wiser to continue on with that toon? How hard are the first epics to do now?

6. For finding groups later, if I magically have time for one, what classes are the easiest to find groups with? Bard/enc was a snap back in the early xpac days.

7. Last one I can think of, are those mounts still a thing? I saw one of your raid videos and whoever was filming had the pre-luclin models turned on, mounts don't work with w/out pukelin models right? is there a way around that?

Thanks ahead of time

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone 3 boxes. full group with mercs.

Start fresh on test. No sub fee, all expansions free. 2x exp and free money.

Do this. Go to FV server. Buy 30 exp pots. and some gear you'll want later. /copytest.

Rita Poon_sl

shitlord
Everyone 3 boxes. full group with mercs.

Start fresh on test. No sub fee, all expansions free. 2x exp and free money.

Do this. Go to FV server. Buy 30 exp pots. and some gear you'll want later. /copytest.
I have about 2k pp and 650 station cash, don't think I could afford any gear i'd want later.

So everyone 3 boxes? Groups will be non existent outside of raid groups? or just slim pickings?

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
/autojoin rerolled:trannies

Some groups happen, but yeah some slim pickings. Boxing is big. Gear is not a problem, nor is cash. Generally a friendly bunch of folks that will help you out on Test.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I logged on last night but nobody was really on, I was pretty tempted to gear up a BL on FV and copy em over but i couldn't find which toon had all my exp potions and shit lol
frown.png
too many accounts

Djay

Trakanon Raider
returning player here, played from Kunark release to just prior to GoD on The Nameless server, currently I have a 65 epic bard with no more than 20 something AA's, 49 sham, 46 enc, 51 rng.

I had a few questions:

1. With the staggering amount of content and changes that have happened to the game since I last played, would it be simpler to start fresh? I've logged onto my characters and found all kinds of bags and gear and random stuff and am totally overwhelmed.

2. How is the population on the test server? I've messed around on p99 and they're sitting at around 1000 during peak hours (when i'm at work).

3. I've never been interested in boxing, is it possible to solo + merc up to the higher end where groups are required? I'm not worried about efficiently and I'm in no rush.

4. Are exp groups still a thing or is everyone boxing till its raid time?

5. Related to question 1, given that I already have a bard with the first epic would it be wiser to continue on with that toon? How hard are the first epics to do now?

6. For finding groups later, if I magically have time for one, what classes are the easiest to find groups with? Bard/enc was a snap back in the early xpac days.

7. Last one I can think of, are those mounts still a thing? I saw one of your raid videos and whoever was filming had the pre-luclin models turned on, mounts don't work with w/out pukelin models right? is there a way around that?

Thanks ahead of time
Hey, I was originally on Inny, but we merged with The Nameless around GoD/OoW...I came back a couple months ago. I would recommend starting a new character to take through the tutorial. That's what I did...I 3-boxed into the 40s/50s before I got the itch to play my higher levels and that made the transition easier, I think. I was also overwhelmed initially with all of the changes.

I don't normally look for groups, but I found a couple friends that have let me tag along with them sometimes. The one time I went into a zone and actually asked for a group, I got it right away. That seems to work better than the people asking for a group in general chat or using the tool. Once you get to level 70-75, you can probably find groups in the hot zones. Below that you shouldn't have any problem moloing (soloing with your merc).
Epic 1.0/2.0 are pretty easy now from what I've seen. People will run through Anguish and let people tag along for the epic drops without much fuss.
I don't know what groups are like at 100, but below that, class doesn't really matter anymore it seems. :p
Mounts are still a thing...pretty much required if you're a mana user. Not sure of a way around the Luclin models. I think I've heard of some illusion you can use and still mount up, but not sure.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Check out Eye of Eternity. It's the guild one of my friends is in and they seem to have a lot of members that group up a lot.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yep, EQ isn't a grouping game any longer. People still do it sometimes, but nothing like before.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It is. I've lately been wondering why I even bother logging in. I guess because there's nothing else really out there right now. Was having fun in PS2 but their latest patch just sucked the fun out of my play style.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Grouping does still exist but mostly not until 80ish+ since you can play 1 toon and a merc to hit 70 in NO time at all, especially with defiant gear. While boxing is a problem on all servers when it comes to groups and socialization, test is particularly bad since the accounts/expansion/everything is free and it is basically considered a "gold account". On live server you'd have to pay to box any reasonable content past 80 because non-gold accounts have limits on aa's and other crap, not sure of the specifics.

Test definitely has benefits. I'd say if you just want to have a bit of fun and get back in the game to experience some stuff you missed, play on test. The increased XP and perceived player count makes things pretty simple. And while there may not be a ton of people in LFG or generally tossing out invites the general channel is mostly social and if you said something like "Want to do X mission, looking for more" you will actually get responses but you need to be proactive for sure. Just sitting in SEB with LFG on will not work these days.

The shitty part about test, zero economy/bazaar since everyone just testcopies tons of shit over daily. Most people do box full groups, and TONS of level 100's basically killing anything that isn't instanced the moment it pops. So if you have nostalgic ideas about doing some older zones get them out of your head now. That being said everything(almost) GoD+ is in fact instanced so if you really did want to experience new stuff it's not a huge deal.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I would play this shit pretty frequently if I could play a Bard and not have to fuckin multibox to do anything
frown.png

I would play this shit pretty frequently if I could play a Bard and not have to fuckin multibox to do anything
frown.png
What level are ya? I can make room for you 70+ and at the very least, get you to 70 quickly. Sucks ass to see who is online though, the universal chat system we use to gauge RR numbers in the channel has been down for at least a week.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
What level are ya? I can make room for you 70+ and at the very least, get you to 70 quickly. Sucks ass to see who is online though, the universal chat system we use to gauge RR numbers in the channel has been down for at least a week.
Ah my bard on Test is only in the 40's; I swapped away from him to try to box a mage/necro. The problem is that I just don't like to box, so regardless of what progress I make in EQ (on Test, especially), I find myself bored and with nothing to do (because of the lack of people thus lack of ability to really play).

Brikker

Trump's Staff
I am my own worst enemy. Playing again, despite the lack of desire to box. I'm going to see how far I can get with solo/molo on a Bard and trying to worm my way into groups of boxers or something.

Alasliasolonik, I still have that Scuffed Journeyman's Rucksack and CoS you gave me (let me know if you want em back!).

If anyone does anything, hit me up. Name is Muzaks, bard that is all of level 43.