EQ Never

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Assuming at least a couple of those classes are casters, it looks like they decided to go with the EQ2 style split robe instead of EQ/WoW full robe. I imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to animate and allows for more variety for casters but I'll miss the old EQ robes if that's the case :.(

rrr_img_73632.jpg

Edit: Higher quality shot including the 5th class
rrr_img_73633.jpg
That shot looks so washed out, was it from like a projector or something?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
It begins today...

I was going to take a personal day today and listen to all the podcasts but my boss is taking a vacation day today, so instead of sitting at home doing nothing listening to EQ News, I'll be sitting at my desk getting paid to do nothing listening to EQ News.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Sorry, didn't see this earlier. That's the point of the dynamic NPC's. When you go to the prior camp spot after I've wiped it out, it won't be there again because it's wiped out. The Orcs you want have moved on. There may be orcs there again in the future, who knows how long, but it won't be 10 minute spawn cycles. You don't camp mobs in this game, you go find them.
The challenge is making all those story bricks scripts function smoothly when there are 100+ players in a zone all at different locations looking for something to do. If the Orc camp script doesn't start over every 10-15 minutes, then some other AI script has to replace it otherwise there will be large portions of the zone with nothing to do because other players have already completed the script, event, quest, etc.

Something else to consider is the complexity of programming the story bricks scripts in the first place and how many unique scripts will be implemented for each zone. I'm assuming the programming effort is complex and resource intensive. The higher the complexity and development resources required to create the story bricks script the fewer scripts that will be created. Lets just throw out a number and say Commonlands outside Freeport has 10 storybricks scripts in it. Those 10 scripts will only support a finite number of players since once they are completed they don't repeat themselves. In a situation like that with a limited number of storybricks scripts per zone I wouldn't be surprised if there was heavy use of instancing or phasing being used to split up the players. Instead of 100 players in Commonlands, there would be 25 players in Commonlands (1), Commonlands (2), and so on similar to how EQ2 handles overcrowding.

If my assumption about the complexity of creating storybricks scripts is wrong and SOE can easily pump out a 100 scripts for Commonlands and every other zone, the need for instancing/phasing won't be as high.

Anyone know if SOE has made a definitive statement yet on whether the game will be using instancing/phasing technology?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Anyone know if SOE has made a definitive statement yet on whether the game will be using instancing/phasing technology?
They said there will be some sort of phasing for private "dungeons" you can find underground, like if you are digging and you find a monster lair that's assigned to you or your group someone else can dig there own hole and find it but yours is owned by you.

Mur_sl

shitlord
Well those shots are not too bad; maybe I can live with the character models after all. Seems like maybe they have improved a bit. Did they show the new and improved Chester Cheeto?

glumner_sl

shitlord
Setting aside the style, those character models look... a bit antiquated already. I'm not sure that they're a technical step up from what the revamps they're shoving into decade-old WoW.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Setting aside the style, those character models look... a bit antiquated already. I'm not sure that they're a technical step up from what the revamps they're shoving into decade-old WoW.
Watch them when they are animated. The stills don't do them justice.

Does anyone know the twitch channel name?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
sucks, I'll be working when all this goes down. hope we have some dedicated reporters here!

Quaid

Trump's Staff
sucks, I'll be working when all this goes down. hope we have some dedicated reporters here!
If I can get the stream going on my Roku and don't have to watch from my ipad I'll post updates of the good shit for ya.

Actually, fuck that. Gonna get the Wii U from upstairs and watch on that. Can't wait to get a PS4 and throw this Roku out the window.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
For the earlier discussion on mobs roaming after being wiped out etc., the orcs still have to spawn.....somewhere. Are they going to have just one spawn point, a couple in different areas, or completely random spawn points across the world? Will they always spawn in the same spot but then because they were wiped out last time roam to a different location?

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
For the earlier discussion on mobs roaming after being wiped out etc., the orcs still have to spawn.....somewhere. Are they going to have just one spawn point, a couple in different areas, or completely random spawn points across the world? Will they always spawn in the same spot but then because they were wiped out last time roam to a different location?
The word so far is that mobs don't like to be farmed, so its not total random spawns but if an orc camp gets killed X amounts of time then the orc camp stops spawning and spawns in another location.

The location apparently will have attributes as well such as player traffic and NPC guard population.

They said an area that is a relatively easy beginning spot could be filled with dragons a year later.