EQ Never

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Wrong.

SOE is devoid of enough talent to create a successful game. It's the equivalent of a listing ship, always on the verge of sinking. I'm always intrigued on how people can still believe, after years and years of failure, that SoE is capable of creating "an awesome game." Even if they could, does anyone believe they would make good stewards?

People should move on from this dumpster fire and hope that the EQ IP gets sold off to a capable developer that has the potential to make a good game. That's the best you can really hope for at this point.
Sounds like the ps2 team did a solid job. I didn't play it, but sounds reasonably successful.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I dont know anyone that works at Daybreak, or at least I don't think I do. Either way I have no idea as to how talented their people are. I will say that they seem to have created lots of nice art and at least some game engine elements so I'm not really sure what else you really need to support a solid game concept.

In other words I think they have people who can do the front-line work but may be lacking a well-conceived project to execute. I thought EQ Next was such a product but after all this time I am stumped as to why there isn't more AND how they manage to move Landmark from a fun sandbox into the worst of both worlds.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are talented people there. Some really passionate Devs. The problems at daybreak were let go earlier in the week. Definitely a new leadership style coming.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
There are talented people there. Some really passionate Devs. The problems at daybreak were let go earlier in the week. Definitely a new leadership style coming.
As long as Smed is running the place don't look for anything good to happen.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As long as Smed is running the place don't look for anything good to happen.
It's weird, I agree.. but I'm yet to hear any Smed bashing. I've heard plenty of ponytail and butler but no Smed. Maybe that would come if he does get let go?

I'm just watching what he does now. Who he promotes and such.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Not sure why people are armchair deving again, If this game is released it's going to be pretty much the same thing we have seen. They aren't going to scrap the Voxel shit randomly and start fresh. It's full steam ahead on the Voxel train they are pot committed at this point.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
It's weird, I agree.. but I'm yet to hear any Smed bashing. I've heard plenty of ponytail and butler but no Smed. Maybe that would come if he does get let go?

I'm just watching what he does now. Who he promotes and such.
Read EQ2Wire for some Gold standard Smed bashing. The guy is fucking Wormtongue as far as I can figure out.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure why people are armchair deving again, If this game is released it's going to be pretty much the same thing we have seen. They aren't going to scrap the Voxel shit randomly and start fresh. It's full steam ahead on the Voxel train they are pot committed at this point.
Not much else to talk about

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If EQ Progression servers are any indication - yes, there's a decent market.

@Xaxius unfortunately I agree.
So the few thousand people who play on EQ progressions servers is what you consider a decent market? A chick shitting into another girl's cup has a bigger market than that and you don't see Disney making up some new princess characters.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So the few thousand people who play on EQ progressions servers is what you consider a decent market? A chick shitting into another girl's cup has a bigger market than that and you don't see Disney making up some new princess characters.
That was just a weird analogy.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
No doubt, I'm sure there are a handful of talented people there. Every company has them. They're the ones who are either afraid to move on because they're overly invested in the company or those that hold on to that faint glimmer of hope that "the next one" will turn it around. But so what? The company is tainted, with years upon years of shitty management and processes. The only value at SOE is the IPs, that's it. Everything else is a full on dumpster fire.

People need to move on.

*Edit* Smed is a complete, useless waste and should have been fired YEARS ago.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
As I mentioned earlier, I think the people - include former SOE devs - have found out that building an entire world in Voxels was a terrible idea: it's much harder to make really nice looking things with voxels then it is with traditional modeling tools. For example doing something like Kelethin with thin wooden platforms would be really, really hard with voxels, but simple (well simple for an artist, both impossible for yours truly) with traditional 3D modeling tools.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
That's incorrect. You can make very nice things with voxels. The real problem is the infrastructure behind it. It requires a lot of data being sent all over the place for it to work so you can't do a lot of things you normally would unless you figure out some tricks.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So the few thousand people who play on EQ progressions servers is what you consider a decent market?
Math how does it work? 40,000ish people logged into the EQ progression servers at start - that was a little under 10% of the max population for EQ (roughly 500,000 at it's height in 2002 or so). 10% of WoW's max would be between 600,000 or so (using only US numbers).

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That's incorrect. You can make very nice things with voxels. .
Re-read what I wrote. I didn't say you couldn't make nice things with voxels, I said it was significantly harder to make nice things with voxels because you have to do lots of stupid things to, for example, make something look thin.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
As I mentioned earlier, I think the people - include former SOE devs - have found out that building an entire world in Voxels was a terrible idea: it's much harder to make really nice looking things with voxels then it is with traditional modeling tools. For example doing something like Kelethin with thin wooden platforms would be really, really hard with voxels, but simple (well simple for an artist, both impossible for yours truly) with traditional 3D modeling tools.
Yeah but they aren't doing kelethin in Voxels are they? They have said before they you won't be able to destroy or fuck with cities in the game. I would assume all the cities and stuff that is required for the game would be done like any other prop. Take a look at the wizard Spires in landmark, It's a nonvoxel structure that players can't touch I assume the same is going to be for Qeynos or w/.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
That's incorrect. You can make very nice things with voxels. The real problem is the infrastructure behind it. It requires a lot of data being sent all over the place for it to work so you can't do a lot of things you normally would unless you figure out some tricks.
This. Not worth it within the technological confines of of the current mmo sphere.

Make trove, or make an mmo, don't shit them together solely for the purpose of using as much 'new' (underdeveloped) tech as possible and to try to incorporate as much popular shit as possible just for the sake of doing it.

I'm not saying voxels won't be a viable component of MMOs, just not yet, and not in concert with a plethora of other new and demanding tech components.

Whomever Daybreak promotes to take over EQN is going to stare at this like a tangled mess of last years Christmas lights someone else put away.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I don't know why I'm constantly surprised how Tad is so constantly wrong. I mean he's being doing it for a decade, but here we are.