EQ Never

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I am the first to admit I am an idiot, but...

They reduce the EQN/Landmark workforce, and drop working with Storybricks hoping to handle it in house.

Doesn't that mean more work than before? (and less people to do it)?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Too bad, Storybricks was one of the features I was hyped for (2 years ago). I hope someone picks up on it to build it into an MMO. As in, someone besides Anet because those guys will just half-ass it as usual.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My interpertation of why they let SB go is they prob got all the tech/info they needed for EQN and really didn't have a use for them going forward.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Our only hope is they come to their senses and at least put the trinity back in. No offense to anyone who likes GW2, but that game blows with no trinity. We need some heals in this game.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Transcript from official forums:

Here's what was said:

Dex: Are we still working with storybricks

Terry: The answer is no, we made the decision that it was in the best interests of the game to take that work in-house. They did a lot of work for us and we're going to be utilising that. It's not like any of that is lost. But we no longer have a working relationship with storybricks

Dex: What are the plans for AI and what we've talked about with AI in both Landmark and EQN?

Darren: So, AI and the construction of AI... let's talk about the user generated content first. That is still very important to us. We are still committed to making that happen so that so that you, the players can create content for other players to enjoy. and building Ai and making those NPC react and act in a way that you would like them too is still a part of this. We're definitely doing that.

Internally, we're going to be developing all the things that we promised, all the things we talked about, those are still our goals, those are still our plans. Nothing's changed.

Terry: Just the people that were working on parts of that. That's all.

Darren: I mean, one of the things that really important to remember... and I know that, that as a non-developer [interuption for mic handover by Dexella]. As a non-developer I remember ascribing the success or failure of a game to a certain person, right. "If this person's not here it wont work" or "or if th..." and that's not really true because it's such a team effort. We make so many... you know... we... make huge games and there's no one out there that you saw earlier that we could do this without [refering to the team outside of the window at the start of the stream] um.. and everybody's involved, everybody's a part of this.

Terry: Yeah, everybody's an integral part of the development, and that's just the truth.

Steve: And that's actually both sides of the AI question right, I mean when people say what is the future of AI for the games, umm, they really mean two different things. Or several different things - one of them is the, umm, how to NPCs behave, but the other part is the proceedural content system, right, which a lot of people lump under the category of AI. We also intend to persue those things aswell. We have a lot of perameters(?) on the team that have done tons of AI work in the past - you know.

Terry: And that worked with the systems we're working with now.

Steve: Yep

Terry: So, yep.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
response:

Following up from the stream again -- we are still committed to having an emergent AI system. It's now being worked on internally, and we are keeping previous work that was done up to this point. We're moving forward as planned.

The only part that has changed is we are not working with Storybricks (the company) as a partner. The AI work will now be done by our internal Dev team.
~Dexella

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Don't really see an issue with that. Why pay for shit you're partially doing yourself anyways. I always liked the SB guys, they're about as blunt and honest as it gets. But I'm sure Columbus would rather not pay other dudes for stuff they can do themselves at this point.

Still screams of the clusterfuck EQN became by throwing every potential idea into a bag and saying "AIGHT WE'RE DOING IT ALL."

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was asked to pass this along guys.

"tell the guys that here at Storybricks we have read all the comments and really appreciate the support. The NDA with SOE still stands so can't go much into details on what happened even if they are trivial."

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have no doubt they want to tell more. Been talking to the one for a while now. Stand up dude so he won't be saying anything until he's clear to. I understand that. I'll see what I can find out about the company going forward as thier tech is really interesting

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Our only hope is they come to their senses and at least put the trinity back in. No offense to anyone who likes GW2, but that game blows with no trinity. We need some heals in this game.
I like GW2 and your comment doesn't offend me. Lots of room for variety in the marketplace.

Pretty tired of the trinity to be honest, but afaik nobody has come up with a better solution. GW2's version of gameplay works but I wouldn't say it is better.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Probably just havent gotten around to it. I think it was pretty recent. I know it's somewhere between the layoffs and today. They were good on the day of layoffs. My guess is the last few days. Probably a bummer for thier team. I hope they bounce back on more upcoming titles.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Bad news usually on Friday, I wonder if they told them right before the podcast?

But on the cheery side...

MAYWEATHER V PACQUIAO!! MAY 2

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bad news usually on Friday, I wonder if they told them right before the podcast?

But on the cheery side...

MAYWEATHER V PACQUIAO!! MAY 2
Yep!! I'm already booked for vegas but it's sounding like I have no shot on tix. Best seats 5k and worst is 1k. They are not expecting much if any availability to the general public

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yep!! I'm already booked for vegas but it's sounding like I have no shot on tix. Best seats 5k and worst is 1k. They are not expecting much if any availability to the general public
Yeah, I used to live there and have been to many fights with both fighters. If I remember the MGM garden holds 15k ish, and I heard they sold all the rooms already (5000ish).

Going to be a madhouse.

edit: sorry for the derail...back to EQN