EQ Never

Quaid

Trump's Staff
He's a nice enough guy on Twitter but yeah, it was painful.
Oh Ya I'm sure he's a great dude, but he has massive shoes to fill, and plunking him down in Steve's seat is setting him up for failure. Steve had 18 years of EQ lore under his belt, and he spoke of the world with authority, confidence, and passion.

The last workshop made the new guy look like a bumbling idiot, and you could tell he was flustered. It got so bad at a couple points that he directly contradicted established lore & building design directions in his ramblings. Rosie and Josh held it together well, but you could tell they saw it too. I felt bad for him.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Oh Ya I'm sure he's a great dude, but he has massive shoes to fill, and plunking him down in Steve's seat is setting him up for failure. Steve had 18 years of EQ lore under his belt, and he spoke of the world with authority, confidence, and passion.

The last workshop made the new guy look like a bumbling idiot, and you could tell he was flustered. It got so bad at a couple points that he directly contradicted established lore & building design directions in his ramblings. Rosie and Josh held it together well, but you could tell they saw it too. I felt bad for him.
Oh. I thought we were talking about Josh, lol. In my five minutes of viewing I just saw them rambling about interiors and mob aggros. I skipped around and didn't hardly see the other guy talking.

I'm not much of a lore buff anyways (I know way more about the stage than the performances in them) but I feel confident that they are going to wreck the lore.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. I actually prefer josh's presentation to Butler. The guy actually inspires confidence in me. It feels like he has a breadth of experience when he discusses mechanics. Butler on the other hand, just cracked wise jokes and spouted nonsense

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Maybe I hit all the worst spots! In fairness I only watched bits and pieces before quitting because even the best host won't save that time sink. People wonder why they only get 1,000 views? Give it a watch and you'll find out.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
Huh? Steve hadn't been here for 18 years, and he never worked on EQ1. He worked on EQ2 for 3 years, and then left for 38 Studios before coming back and working on Vanguard for a bit, and then moving to EQN. I'm not taking anything away from Steve, but your information is wrong.

Paul is a very good designer and incredibly creative. He was actually on EQ2 longer than Steve was, and was the primary lore creator on EQ2 for quite a few years.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Huh? Steve hadn't been here for 18 years, and he never worked on EQ1. He worked on EQ2 for 3 years, and then left for 38 Studios before coming back and working on Vanguard for a bit, and then moving to EQN. I'm not taking anything away from Steve, but your information is wrong.

Paul is a very good designer and incredibly creative. He was actually on EQ2 longer than Steve was, and was the primary lore creator on EQ2 for quite a few years.
He said EQ Lore, not EQ. Most fansite operators and players knew more about the Lore than 99% of SOE did.

Danuser is a dolt and full of shit, along with about 75% of the crew over there that learned it from the misfit toys. He should go back to running a fansite where he belongs. Or he can go back to covering for Schilling's ass again. He is good at kissing ass to move up the chain, God knows he doesn't have any talent to rely on.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. I actually prefer josh's presentation to Butler. The guy actually inspires confidence in me. It feels like he has a breadth of experience when he discusses mechanics. Butler on the other hand, just cracked wise jokes and spouted nonsense
Because he had no clue what the fuck was going on. With the money, or the product. Nor did he give a shit as long as the paycheck rolled in.

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Oh my mistake. I thought he was the dude who originally started EQ with Brad and Smed. Thanks for the correction.

Either way, the guy is not good in front of a camera, and simply doesn't speak with the gravitas that Steve did. While I respect your desire to defend your coworker, I am not questioning his abilities as a designer, only his abilities as a spokesperson. At a time where EQ's brand strength is in turmoil, I don't think it's wise to make him a public face.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
This whole 'open development' model has shot them in the foot so hard.
1. Hey guys, lets do open development and have weekly shows to get our good name around
2. Sell company and lay off 1/2 of the publicly visible employees
3. Prop up some guy who'd rather be coding away, in front of a camera and stream it all
4. ???
5. Profit? lol

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Oh my mistake. I thought he was the dude who originally started EQ with Brad and Smed. Thanks for the correction.

Either way, the guy is not good in front of a camera, and simply doesn't speak with the gravitas that Steve did. While I respect your desire to defend your coworker, I am not questioning his abilities as a designer, only his abilities as a spokesperson. At a time where EQ's brand strength is in turmoil, I don't think it's wise to make him a public face.
No you were correct unless you meant different from what you wrote. Danuser ran a Website dedicated to EQ for years before he kissed enough ass to be hired and sucked at life for about 8 years up through EQ2, KOA: Online and Vanguard, and then EQ next. He was a horrible fucking designer, if you can even call him that, and I would go easy on him if he was actually an ethical human being - something else he isn't. He is a kiss ass artist who never belonged in the industry. He played the corporate game well. Too bad he wasn't as good at playing the game as he was designing anything worth a shit. But I somehow doubt that was ever his goal to begin with.

EQ Next is dead. The IPs are now bought and paid for, and that's what this take over was all about. About the only thing you MAY see is a cheap ass Pitchford style cash in on a franchise similar to Duke Nukem Forever with a lot of hype and marketing, and a lot of shit rolling, to make the cash. That's it.

These people controlling this company could give two shits about making good games to play. It's a pure IP profit farm at this point.

I honestly have more faith in McQuaid releasing something of more value than these Russian fucks.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At this point we really do need to hope Brad takes his head out of his ass and gets pantheon out. We out of options..

"Hey this eq3 idea is cool but let's get greedy and make lol/mindcraft and use the EQ ip!" Great idea Smed...

tad10

Elisha Dushku
At this point we really do need to hope Brad takes his head out of his ass and gets pantheon out. ...
Won't happen. As was obvious on the original Pantheon thread: Brad refuses to recognize that he's making the same mistake he made at Sigil: scope creep, art before class/combat are well defined, disposable lore.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At this point we really do need to hope Brad takes his head out of his ass and gets pantheon out. We out of options..

"Hey this eq3 idea is cool but let's get greedy and make lol/mindcraft and use the EQ ip!" Great idea Smed...
I like the Original EQnext ideas from Smed, before the voxels and stuff. He said make it like Eve with lots of sandbox pvp. Not sure where that vision went.

The biggest problem with EQ next is that no one knew what they were doing. I was super hyped in 2009 about it. 6 years later and we have the abortion that is landmark is WTF.

Landmark doesn't even know what it is. The tools are awful and it is just pain boring.

The things that were wrong from the start

#1- No direction, or trying to be everything but EQ.
#2- Art. WTF disney. I can't say that enough. Don't go for the WOW crowd, they own that market. And for those that say disney ages better, I just did a run through of assasins creed from 2010 and it looks great 5 years later. Besides who needs longevity when you can't even ship?
#3- Voxels. Why?
#4- No trinity? Ya gw2 did that well.... /snickers.
#5- Ponytail
#6- Buttler
#7- New lore. Seriously.... did you guys forget the rich old lore that we liked? Too many new faces?
#8- You guys got greedy
#9- Landmark. I get the idea that you want people to do your work for free. Stop it there. No need for combat and to make a game out of it. Just release it as a dev kit and give prizes to the best builds ect.
#10- Smed. WTF is this guy blind to nothing ever getting done in his studio?

Lethality

Lord Nagafen Raider
I like the Original EQnext ideas from Smed, before the voxels and stuff. He said make it like Eve with lots of sandbox pvp. Not sure where that vision went.
It went to Crowfall
smile.png

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You know what incapsulated us when we were playing EQ? Us.

You know what is missing? Us.

That magic that is gone? Us.

While we click our heroic dungeon instance and have a magical group appear before our eyes, in a queue, we sacrifice what made THE MAGIC of EQ. And while every designer tries to mimic something to recapture those days, it's something that was neverin their control to begin with. It was always, us.

We were the ones, without a queue. Waiting for a group while we shouted across a zone, or talked to friends. This game (EQ) WAS our social media. And THAT is what made EQ magical.

Course you can add the music, like coming up to the bridge of North Karana, or sitting on the river in West Karana... The point is the mainstay of the game? Just a bunch of people talking to each other. And you knew their names. And you came back the next night, and ordered a pizza at home, and found the same people there. And you couldn't wait to log in, and say hello. And maybe level up. But the reason why you logged in? The people. And you didn't real;y give a shit if you were sitting at the zone line waiting. You had people to talk to. A virtual chat room. In a new world.

Everquest hit at a time where no social media existed and it WAS social media at its best in a D&D form. In a world where you could escape but yet, still log in and see those familiar avatars.

You won't ever have that again. And if you never played 1999-2002, you won't ever have the chance to know what it felt like. But for those looking for that magic? It cannot happen again. Because it wasn't the game we logged into. It was a vehicle to log into to have fun playing a mediocre game with relatively boring mechanics and the reason we did it was to talk to our new internet friends.

The problem now is how to evolve. How you do it? Bring AI to it's extreme. Pack mobs? Seriously? How about seasons. How about NPC AI adjusting to those seasons. How about making the world so intriguing that people cannot log out of it. They WANT to be there. Now, this game will exist. Trust me.... I am about to put my foot where my mouth has been for ages. Fuck, if I don't, who the hell will take the risk.

A new age in MMORPG's will come.

Utnayan will lead it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
The first 7 paragraphs were beautiful, then you got me all sad in paragraph 8. Then maybe a little hope in paragraph 9, just waiting on someone to actually deliver. Anyways, great post.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You know what incapsulated us when we were playing EQ? Us.

You know what is missing? Us.

That magic that is gone? Us.

While we click our heroic dungeon instance and have a magical group appear before our eyes, in a queue, we sacrifice what made THE MAGIC of EQ. And while every designer tries to mimic something to recapture those days, it's something that was neverin their control to begin with. It was always, us.

We were the ones, without a queue. Waiting for a group while we shouted across a zone, or talked to friends. This game (EQ) WAS our social media. And THAT is what made EQ magical.

Course you can add the music, like coming up to the bridge of North Karana, or sitting on the river in West Karana... The point is the mainstay of the game? Just a bunch of people talking to each other. And you knew their names. And you came back the next night, and ordered a pizza at home, and found the same people there. And you couldn't wait to log in, and say hello. And maybe level up. But the reason why you logged in? The people. And you didn't real;y give a shit if you were sitting at the zone line waiting. You had people to talk to. A virtual chat room. In a new world.

Everquest hit at a time where no social media existed and it WAS social media at its best in a D&D form. In a world where you could escape but yet, still log in and see those familiar avatars.

You won't ever have that again. And if you never played 1999-2002, you won't ever have the chance to know what it felt like. But for those looking for that magic? It cannot happen again. Because it wasn't the game we logged into. It was a vehicle to log into to have fun playing a mediocre game with relatively boring mechanics and the reason we did it was to talk to our new internet friends.

The problem now is how to evolve. How you do it? Bring AI to it's extreme. Pack mobs? Seriously? How about seasons. How about NPC AI adjusting to those seasons. How about making the world so intriguing that people cannot log out of it. They WANT to be there. Now, this game will exist. Trust me.... I am about to put my foot where my mouth has been for ages. Fuck, if I don't, who the hell will take the risk.

A new age in MMORPG's will come.

Utnayan will lead it.
USER_Vegeta_Super_Saiyan_3.gif