EQ Never

spronk

FPS noob
i don't really play MMOs anymore but saw this pop up on reddit, i remember the ponytail guy from early landmark and he's on this podcast. if you skip ahead to 38 mins he talks about early everquest, didn't really watch the whole thing so dunno where he is now

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i don't really play MMOs anymore but saw this pop up on reddit, i remember the ponytail guy from early landmark and he's on this podcast. if you skip ahead to 38 mins he talks about early everquest, didn't really watch the whole thing so dunno where he is now

Ponytail is one of the guys we have to blame for the current mess:-( I have an old PM from an insider during the last round of layoffs.. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it. Definitely wasn't favorable to him. He basically pushed EQL and shit on EQN

Edit to add PM..

So here's something everyone should know.

Georgeson was a fucking clown. A self-promoter to new heights, and completely oblivious to the level of animosity his antics generated on his team, and literally anyone who came in contact with him. His goal in life was to be the face of EQ Next at any cost. I've never seen someone try to take credit for so many other people's efforts at his level. He drove that game into levels of scope not possible with 10 years of development, let alone the bullshit schedule he tried to set. He was the WORST manager I've ever worked for.

He was not valuable to the team, and in fact caused the debacle the game is in now, because he pushed so fucking hard to try to make Landmark an actual game, instead of just the toolset it was originally supposed to be, and pushed EQN to the wayside. He was supposedly in charge of the EQ Franchise, but all he really gave a shit about was Landmark and how HE looked on camera and in interviews.

Remit_sl

shitlord
But really, Landmark should just be the game, and they should rebuild EQ Next, with a better name, better art style, different engine, and focus. Unfortunately, the only reason anyone is still playing Landmark is because they think their grand creations will make it into EQ Next.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
But really, Landmark should just be the game, and they should rebuild EQ Next, with a better name, better art style, different engine, and focus. Unfortunately, the only reason anyone is still playing Landmark is because they think their grand creations will make it into EQ Next.
They already built an engine, they won't be making another.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Landmark was a bad idea with horrible implementation, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Fuckers wanted Minecraft success but made building anything infinitely harder, terrible hardware requirements, and tiny playing space with a toolset that hated the player. Minecraft killed it because of its simplicity and it's ability to run on fucking anything.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Landmark was a bad idea with horrible implementation, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. Fuckers wanted Minecraft success but made building anything infinitely harder, terrible hardware requirements, and tiny playing space with a toolset that hated the player. Minecraft killed it because of its simplicity and it's ability to run on fucking anything.
To further prove you point, Minecraft has been a top seller on iPad and iPhone for years.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I always felt that Georgeson was that type of personality and in my experience in working in software back in the day, there was always "one of those guys" floating around, trying to grab whatever credit they could, and make a name for themselves. They have such strong personality and they're good at their strategy so they always seem to land management positions and become absolute pains. Oh well.. he's gone but so is EQ. I really wish a small studio would get the rights to the game and make a niche game that would be true to what EQ was and could still be. I really don't understand why anyone would want EQ to appeal to the mass market. It was from a different time and for different people. You either enjoy EQ for what it is or you play something different. It's not that EQ couldn't be modernized a bit but if you bring it too far into this time, you lose the game.