EQ Never

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
eq and eq2 both had good music I really enjoyed the christmas remix of the eq2 theme song for their holiday event.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I thought storybricks sounded like nonsense. Who cares about a game that plays itself? Kill enough kobolds and they are replaced with goblins. So what? What's a player supposed to do when armies of npcs are clashing? Stand there and try to pick off the last hit to pick up the gold piece? It sounded like game developer masturbation and nothing that actually made a game.

Like several iterations of Rift's conquests or whatever they were called. A huge zerg of npcs fighting each other, and players couldn't do jack shit about it unless an army happened to be in the zone. And then there wasn't much reward for the effort aside from the fucking thing getting out of your way. People try to claim it was better in beta but there never seemed to be much of a point to it. You were a spectator.

And then what gameplay we were shown. A single player causing the entire screen to explode in showers of shit like a walking volcano. What happens when there are five or six pcs together? 20? 40? The whole planet would disappear with their opening salvo like a shot from the fucking death star.

I'm so shocked this one didn't make it.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Swtor is also making quite a lot of money. Maybe the RoI isn't stellar, but at least the game is still going strong and being profitable. The EQ franchise on the other hand... is probably making peanuts.
SWTOR is or has been the top 5 highest grossing online games in the last few years.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For me the incompetence was fully realized when they designed Uqua around the level cap above the expansion that was supposed to be added in as an anniversary thing and they never came to pass so they had to "nerf" Uqua to fix it. That one always bugged the fuck out of me.
It was FAR worse than that. The expansion "Gates of Discord" and the following xpac "Omens of War" were supposed to be one single expansion with a level increase. All of GoD was tuned for level 70, including the broken raid content. For whatever reason (greed & incompetence), it was rushed out the door by splitting the xpac into two. GoD didn't get the level cap increase and stayed capped at 65. Basically, everything was broke dick in that xpac and tuned for level 70 that never came.

I was in a cutting edge worldwide guild (Darkwind) at the release of GoD and I still have screenshots of a level 1 GM Developer in our raids taking tuning notes and giving out GM rez's / summons for raids. This was LIVE server, not Test! It was a total shit show. This was the final nail in the coffin that sunk EQ and saw the collapse of the historic raid guilds. EQ was never the same after this debacle.

*Edit* It didn't help that this was the same year WoW released. SoE couldn't have picked a worse time for this mistake.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
For me the incompetence was fully realized when they designed Uqua around the level cap above the expansion that was supposed to be added in as an anniversary thing and they never came to pass so they had to "nerf" Uqua to fix it. That one always bugged the fuck out of me.
While that was a sure sign, it was just the start.

During beta testing i pointed out a certain bard song made encounters trivial. The dev promised an adequate fix. 6 months after all raid mobs were immune to said song.

After that i just trolled the fuck out of boards & devs, when it goes two ways it feels better right. Can't really think of anyone that worked on EQ1 that made it huge either, which is impressive since I'd have considered EQ a great reference. In 2001.

I was in a cutting edge worldwide guild (Darkwind) at the release of GoD and I still have screenshots of a level 1 GM Developer in our raids taking tuning notes and giving out GM rez's / summons for raids. This was LIVE server, not Test! It was a total shit show. This was the final nail in the coffin that sunk EQ and saw the collapse of the historic raid guilds. EQ was never the same after this debacle.
Lets also not forget the rampant hacking which occurred in the GoD - OoW era. While I stuck to warp hacks others were less conservative, which climaxed when a solo guy with ghostkill killed the OoW boss before guilds had even reached him. Of course there was a glorious announcement in OOC.

One of my live accounts also has items obtained through a hack that removed the no-drop tag. Its pretty funny when you have a char with items from zones it can't even enter due to lack of flags / levels, and somehow this never set off any flag with the mighty SoE.

What a game lol

Tol_sl

shitlord
I thought storybricks sounded like nonsense. Who cares about a game that plays itself? Kill enough kobolds and they are replaced with goblins. So what? What's a player supposed to do when armies of npcs are clashing? Stand there and try to pick off the last hit to pick up the gold piece? It sounded like game developer masturbation and nothing that actually made a game.
It sounds like someone decided to describe hollowshade moore as it's own design system. Sounds cool in theory, but in actuallity it became, "Well shit, owlbats are up and I need grimlings. Time to genocide for an hour or two or come back later."

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Shadows of Luclin was pushed out early. been a known fact since pretty much the day it came out. some Sony exec probably ordered Smed to release it early, and someone was like "fuck i feel like we forgot to do something. oh well, gotta launch." then even if they realized the mistake -- those were the days when Verant never admitted to mistakes. "working as intended" TM fixing the mistake would have been an admission that they fucked up.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
eq and eq2 both had good music I really enjoyed the christmas remix of the eq2 theme song for their holiday event.
Agreed... Love both of their soundtracks and have fond memories of both. EQ1 probably brings back more memories but EQ2 was a nice upgrade to the music.

If I had a little more confidence in Brad I would like to see them allow Pantheon to become EQ3 in a way. I know it is probably a horrible idea and Brad's ideas may turn out to be completely dated but I would like to see a reskinning on the old world and the story progress through the eyes and mind of what Brad said in the posted interview today. Not saying all of this in a literal sense but in a perfect world scenario, it would be nice to have been in a world where EQ didn't screw up, Brad didn't screw up, and we had years of consistent growth and evolution of Norrath. Instead its been guided by a bunch of crack addicted chimpanzees riding drunken mules.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
How on earth did they manage to not put in the music? Are there in-depth post mortem tales about the Shadows of Luclin release?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Half of Luclin was cut just to shove it out the door. Not surprised in the least that they never implemented some music and then forgot about it.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
SWTOR is or has been the top 5 highest grossing online games in the last few years.
Ummm, not since 2013. It crashed in 2014 and has only gotten limited population bumps for a month or two of new expansions. Frankly, they need to collapse it down to only 3-4 NA servers at this point.

The majority of their money now is milking idiots with the cash shop.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Insider info: Daybreak forgot to release EQN. They just lost the files in EQ2 and found them on a live stream. It's out now and it's great.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I remember always thinking there was meant to be more with Katta and the Combine empire and all that in Luclin, but then PoP came out and I forgave them because the planes were so well done.

*sigh* decade and a half later and I still care more about some parts of Everquest than I do games I'm playing today.

If there was a VR version of EQ... What pure escapism.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wait. So what the fuck played in the Luclin zones? I'm so confused. I usually listened to music so I have no idea.