EQ Never

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

This made me so mad that this was not introduced at the "theme" for EQNext. I knew then they were going in the wrong direction. However, at least we got a very small piece of what EQ's music could have evolved to...

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This Luclin music is amazing. Does anyone have a link/zip of the MP3s to save pulling them all off of Youtube again?

All of the comments about what that expansion was intended to be really hit the mark. What is a nostalgia bomb, though. Just thinking about the the first three expansions +Luclin triggers a Pavlovian response.

This made me so mad that this was not introduced at the "theme" for EQNext. I knew then they were going in the wrong direction. However, at least we got a very small piece of what EQ's music could have evolved to...
Hiring Jeremy Soule to do the music for anything is the good start.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Shame we can't build EQ "reborn" in Unity and add the music and consider it our emu. I would donate my time to at least the classic together. Maybe I can get my Game design to pitch in lol. I know it's been brought up a billion times but just walking around Norrath "upgraded" with some remastered music would be a crazy kick on nostalgia. Maybe Daybreak would even give us a blessing for the 20th anniversary as i'm assuming they having next to nothing planned.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Luclin was an incredibly ambitious expansion, yet all it is remembered for being soulless and bland. Just using the god damn music you licensed, produce, and paid for would have made such a difference.

I was thinking about all the features in SoL, the list is extensive:

-New Class
-New Race
-New Epic quest
-New starting town
-Alternate Advancement abilities
-Mounts
-Event raid encounters, Ring Events
-New player models
-Graphic engine over-haul and grass/foliage system
-5 new towns
-Nexus transport system
-28 zones, to serve all level ranges 1-60
-Bazaar zone and trading system
-Class armor quests for multiple level ranges
-Bane weapons
-New spells for all casting classes
-100's of new quests
-1000's of new items
-Host of new factions, races, and lore building dynamics
-A epically retarded new alien language
-*Oh and 35 song, incredible soundtrack*
Luclin was so unfinished that it made me cry. Watching Sanctus Seru have a parvence of coherence and then exploring the rival city Katta Castellum, that was blatantly empty and abandoned, made me fucking angry, acrilya caverns events that didn't trigger 9 times out of 10, ring of fire included, zones left in the dust with just random wandering mobs (Tenebrous Mountains anyone?), Scarlet Desert and Twilight sea had nice and sometimes breathtaking visuals, yet they were pretty much useless zones, where a fraction of a fraction of the population actually explored them and fought mobs in them at the appropriate levels.
I won't go on commenting every zone, even if I know them by heart, down to their last pixel, even so many years after I traveled through them.

I had a (probably) undisputed record in my guild: I camped and helped others obtain the shards for the scepter to enter VT, my last count was above 280 registered drops, 17 of them being the Maiden's Eye bitch goranga not-so-random spawn (still on a long timer).

It sucked as a game, truly, I wouldn't want to impose this on anyone unless it's meant as a horrible torture of the mind and the soul, yet I miss it somehow.

Only Azeroth reached (and probably surpassed) Norrath in my memories, it definitely took a long time. I even fell into the EQ2 trap for a couple months, a game that despite the numerous flaws we all know, had its moments and could be really entertaining during the KoS/EoF time period.

I started playing EQ slightly later than most vanilla players, I was 25 already, if not 26. Now I'm 42, it's been a while, but I still love games and MMOs, I'm a sucker for playing online with friends and new people in persistant worlds. I never had the same level of interaction with other people that I had in EQ, except maybe vanilla WoW, but probably not, since EQ imposed the group/large raid paradigm even for most mundane activities (nec/wiz/dru not included).

EQN would have been a trip back to Norrath, it's sad I'll never get the chance to see it with modern graphics and models.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
EQN would have been a trip back to Norrath, it's sad I'll never get the chance to see it with modern graphics and models.
Or you could see it as a boon, them not tainting your good memories with some potential garbage game banking on a beloved IP to support it. Who knows what it would have ended up as, or if it would have been faithful to the original in any way.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Or you could see it as a boon, them not tainting your good memories with some potential garbage game banking on a beloved IP to support it. Who knows what it would have ended up as, or if it would have been faithful to the original in any way.
At this point, I firmly agree with this, and believe that is where it was most likely headed. I'll keep a small part of my dreams open for someone picking up the IP and someday doing something worthwhile with it, but I'm not holding my breath, and I'm not going to be upset that they lost the chance to ruin my hopes.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Luclin nearly killed Everquest for me. When it launched it was so buggy and the optimization was so bad that I couldn't even play it for a solid month after release. I also had a falling out with my guild at the time so it's a amazing that I even came back. SOE eventually got the optimization better and the bugs worked out so I came back, found a much better guild and that made the difference. Luclin was a terrible expansion after Velious but having a solid guild behind you made the terrible easier to bear.

On one hand I was kind of looking forward to EQN. I even went through the trouble of reclaiming my old EQ account that I had sold years ago just in case they offered veteran rewards. I found that the account had been sold a second time about a year after I sold it. When I reclaimed the account it had been inactive for about a year or two.

But on the other hand I think my days of MMOs are done. I just can't commit the number of hours into a video game the way Everquest (and to a lesser degree WOW) demanded. If you wanted to be in on the cutting edge you needed to have a serious amount of devotion to the game. In my early 20's I could do that. In my late 30's not so much.

Tol_sl

shitlord
Wow, that luclin music is great. I'd love to hear how they failed to put the soundtrack in because something being buried for so long is puzzling. They could have even played it off as a 6 month later, "New music added via patch!" sort of thing.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
happy bday
True Mippo Tale, but true...

HoMM3 came out weeks earlier and had a VERY similar and vastly superior opening. I always got annoyed at that fucking video because there was a delay and you couldn't get past it until Veeshan nuked Norrath and like others either (????)disabled it in the .ini? or something? I forget. All these years later though it was definitely worth watching again. Thanks for the cheese.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I believe you are 100% correct.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
happy bday
I am amused that i dont think ive seen this video till now. If i had saw this prior to playing i would not have left UO for EQ under any circumstance
biggrin.png

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Really? It used to play every time you'd load up the game
Hah i dont remember it at fuckin all - I remember the UO intro perfectly tho! All i remember of EQ was the login screen lol - perhaps i had it disabled? or i just always pressed escape - dont remember but i surely do not remember that.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Did you guys play on release? I'm genuinely curious now why some folks I played with said they never saw the movie. Maybe it was EU/NA/Etc.. release differences?

It definitely fucking looped every time you started. Pretty sure there was a whineplay post on how to disable the movie either in an .ini or through your registry. It was a huge pain in the ass. And no you didn't need the CD in the drive, I always had my Mr. Bungle California playing during 1999 EQ on winamp. (Hence why I missed out on EQ's great music)