EQ Never

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Itzena_sl

shitlord
So the guy had "EA" on his resume and they hired him? I say that slightly jokingly but on a serious note, if i'm a company wanting to move forward, I would get people that have less of a past and try to find some creative, out-of-the-box thinking but still had a love and passion for the MMO's of old.
EA ships games.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
EA ships games.
Also EA buys companies. DBG was acquired by Columbus Nova with the purpose of turning it around and then selling it for a profits. Things ended up being worse than expected (because they didn't really do their own due diligence and instead relied on the management rosy picture) and TLDR it's on sale already.

Also EA buys companies. DBG was acquired by Columbus Nova with the purpose of turning it around and then selling it for a profits. Things ended up being worse than expected (because they didn't really do their own due diligence and instead relied on the management rosy picture) and TLDR it's on sale already.
Really? Columbus Nova is trying to sell DBG? Source?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
All 25 people making up the Landmark community better be pissed at these blotched updates.

Also, if EA buys DBG, who knows what the future holds. They could be the next Maxis or Mythic, oh the possibilities!

Tauro

Columbus Nova are financial investors, are they not? So technically Daybreak was on sale (for the right price) the minute CN bought them. I guess they based their buy mainly on H1Z1 being a hit and EQ:N being "the next big thing". EQN is dead now and the company much smaller, reputation is also at an all time low.

At least H1Z1 makes them quite a bit of money so they concentrate on it. Getting that former EA guy makes sense, at least he should know how to finish stuff and make money...

The only thing i wonder is how will it affect EQ1/2? Will those teams get some devs from the EQN team so they can push out more content and try to get people back? Maybe even update the engines of EQ1/2 to let them catch up to current visuals? EQ2 with an updated engine and a full relauch (really big expansion witch gear reset, etc...) would be really nice. At least i can dream about it
wink.png

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If I were an EQN dev and I got put back on an EQ1/2 team, I'm not sure if I would be excited or want to kill myself.

Mughal

Well for now I'm your source. When Smed "moved on" they started looking for a buyer and prepping the company for a sale. It will be probably end up sold to a Chinese company, all art and most programming team outsourced to China, development of old titles frozen etc to squeeze as much profit as possible and then make derivative games based at a low cost.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
So you're saying they bought SoE, fired everyone, canceled the only upcoming project thatmayhave made them any money and then set out to sell them? That seems like the exact opposite of investor 101 on how to make your money back.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They were hoping there was a pallet of cocaine bricks hidden somewhere in the SOE office building.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
news flash: the company that decided buying SOE was a good idea... is themselves incompetent.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
news flash: the company that decided buying SOE was a good idea... is themselves incompetent.
It goes deeper. Think about the fact they thought it was a good idea to buy the company that thought it was a good idea to buy Vanguard. When you don't do your research you're left trusting the word of a company that has proven in the past to not do their proper research. Now some Chinese company will probably get Shanghaied the same way, only they'll manage to eke out a profit.

Not that anyone in this long line of incompetence was or is ever going to produce a game worth playing.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
THQ franchise auction inc.
This is more in line with what I'm expecting. Shut down Daybreak and sell anything of value. I don't see it being an easy sell trying to find a buyer for a game company with no prospect on the horizon for making that investment back without sinking another 2+ years worth of cash to develop something.

Elidroth_sl

shitlord
So you're saying they bought SoE, fired everyone, canceled the only upcoming project thatmayhave made them any money and then set out to sell them? That seems like the exact opposite of investor 101 on how to make your money back.
H1Z1 is crazy profitable. EQ1 and EQ2 both are in the black by a large margin. Cutting the money pit that was EQN was smart, especially after so many years of failed development. If anything, their P&L statement just got a whole lot better, especially since any money that flushed down the EQN rabbit hole can be used as tax deductions against H1Z1 and EQ1/2 profits.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
Sad, two of my favorite franchises see no future. Planetside has a empty nostalgia server; Planetside 2 hasn't seen a major update for months (except they raise the level cap); EQ2 will see major servers merging, TLE progression server has been a mess; EQ on the other hand, is doing better with mutiple TLE progression servers.