EQ Never

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yep i was in from CB and for the life of me do not remember that atrocious video. Then again i guess for back then with my voodoo card that was cutting edge video!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did you guys play on release? I'm genuinely curious now why some folks I played with said they never saw the movie. Maybe it was EU/NA/Etc.. release differences?

It definitely fucking looped every time you started. Pretty sure there was a whineplay post on how to disable the movie either in an .ini or through your registry. It was a huge pain in the ass. And no you didn't need the CD in the drive, I always had my Mr. Bungle California playing during 1999 EQ on winamp. (Hence why I missed out on EQ's great music)
I got the movie every damn time I started eq for a long time before they let us disable it.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I got the intro movie only one time before I ran through the original tutorial. After that I never got it again. Tab hitting 'Yes' to the EULA and escape 2-3 times to get rid of Verant/989 logos muscle memory was real.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
Voodoo 2 Banshee. I miss that card.
Weren't Voodoo cards the reason they removed the ability to drop coin on the ground? A person with a Voodoo (or some other card) would crash if they walked over coins, so people would drop copper all over the place. lol

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I thought it was because sitting on a fire and having someone try to trade you money would make the money drop to the ground. A lot of people got swindled.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, scams and the CS complaints to accompany them, or people actually just dropping money on the ground by accident, like in water or something. About the only thing normal people used it for was shedding weight as a monk or dropping 1000 coppers so they could loot something worth more.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Those first few days... I had a really crap machine. I had to have a friend come find me in neriak third gate to lead me out. Every time I turned my machine would freeze up loading something and it would spin me. I'd end up aiming backwards and couldn't tell.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
I didn't understand video drivers. So when I installed my new card and could finally load the game the entire UI was bright pink blocks. I played with my entire UI pinked out for months only being able to see the game world through the window in the middle of that shitty old school ui. It took what I remember to be 10+ minutes to zone and ran like absolute dogshit. The fact that I kept playing is actually pretty insane when I look back on it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, scams and the CS complaints to accompany them, or people actually just dropping money on the ground by accident, like in water or something. About the only thing normal people used it for was shedding weight as a monk or dropping 1000 coppers so they could loot something worth more.
I still remember the fun of beggars in ea1. I gave one persistant beggar 1plat worth of copper pieces. I figured if he was tenacious enough to walk it all back to the bank on the other side of town at a slow crawl he would have earned it.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
My brother basically played the beggar class for the first 4 months into us playing. He would just who all high levels and give them a ridiculous story of why they should give him shit. Good times.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
My brother basically played the beggar class for the first 4 months into us playing. He would just who all high levels and give them a ridiculous story of why they should give him shit. Good times.
I loved when some new beggar would DEMAND gear from me. I was a mage so I am like um okay here hand them a sack full of summoned gear and then gave them a mod rod. I would tell them to specifically NOT click on the mod rod. Every time they would be like you are not the boss of me click BAM dead beggar.

Oh and I loved the hate tells I would get once they log and come back to find all the gear went poof.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I started about 6 months after launch, and it was already common to have city guards constantly camped. I played "banker" for many an Elf and killing my Troll guardsmen. Got me all my spells up to level 30 or so and a full set of Banded starter gear. Good times.

Malkav

French Madman
I played at release yea. US version.
There was no regional version afaik. I had to import the games from the US in september 1999 to play it in Europe.

Still have the box.

rrr_img_129427.jpg

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
For the Movie intro thing I remember it playing every damn time played from release as well, Voodoo cards FTW!

I remember meeting Keith at the Seattle Fan Faire they had cool guy, i think it was a cpl months before he died....

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Every time I look at FV and then think of the EQNext FV (or whoever she was) it makes me sick. When Keith passed away, they really got away from his art direction which was a major part of EQ to me.