EQ Never

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I suggested that they were using landmark to get people to pay them while having those players design the game
This is pretty much Early Access in a nutshell. Even if you aren't paying to design the game for them outright, in most cases, you're atleastpayingto QA a game for a studio. Either way, it's fucking asinine that players so willingly accept this practice among game studios now.

Also, Dave is incredibly good at the smoke and mirrors game. That and self-promotion are probably his two best skills.
So, he's Brad McQuaid's doppleganger? It's kind of sad that Smed fell for it twice.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Considering PS2 (Forgelight engine) looks pretty great and runs hundreds of players on screen at once, I've no clue why they strayed from that idea. Lower cost / proven tech? Na, fucking scrap it.. VOXELS!!
Forgelight was a turd and had no reason to exist. A team of 15 people trying to build a multiplatform engine that could render beautiful worlds AND a lot of characters (kinda opposing objectives). Like many things at SOE it was understaffed and instead of scrapping the project and moving to Unreal they were the bottleneck despite working overtime. It was not so much of an issue with EQN but the reason for the PS4 delays were mainly due to the engine.

I fully supported building independent capabilities at SOE but there was never any financial planning done before approving any project nor any milestones so project could be scrapped. All this because at the end of the day Sony was covering up losses.

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Ready for some more PR talk?

Interview with Laura Naviaux Sturr - Gamesindustry.biz

And there are high expectations for the EverQuest franchise and we probably set them higher than anybody and we really want to live up to what we know Norrath can deliver -I think you'll see more of Norrath to come I guess is a better way to put it.
"I'm focused on moving forward and making EverQuest an experience that can live on to the next generation of gamers," she said.
Rev up those credit cards guys. Here comes that survival MOBA EQ game we've always dreamed of. Jokes aside, I wonder if Daybreak will ever consider making another full-fledged MMO again (EQ title or not). Or it's simply just not worth it.

Reht

Molten Core Raider

Rev up those credit cards guys. Here comes that survival MOBA EQ game we've always dreamed of. Jokes aside, I wonder if Daybreak will ever consider making another full-fledged MMO again (EQ title or not). Or it's simply just not worth it.
Yeah, that's my thought, which is a shame because the forgelight engine seems to be pretty badass from what i have seen in PS2 and H1Z1. Would have been nice to have seen a fantasy MMO without the hyperstylized graphix EQN was moving forward with, but now i doubt we will ever see what it could do.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider

We don't have high expectations. We just want another EQ. Just like I want another XCOM and another Civilization; I want to re-play the same thing (with a few enhancements and polish and fixing of some previous problems). Our only problem is your retarded higher-expectations and your inability to focus on what made this IP stand-out. Imagine if Sid Meier stopped making Civilization as a Turn Based strategy game and instead he jumped the Real Time strategy bandwagon; we'd be fucked. Thank god Sid Meier was not a retard.

We don't have high expectations. We just want another EQ. Just like I want another XCOM and another Civilization; I want to re-play the same thing (with a few enhancements and polish and fixing of some previous problems). Our only problem is your retarded higher-expectations and your inability to focus on what made this IP stand-out. Imagine if Sid Meier stopped making Civilization as a Turn Based strategy game and instead he jumped the Real Time strategy bandwagon; we'd be fucked. Thank god Sid Meier was not a retard.
Bingo! Exactly!

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
H1Z1? eSports?

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm surprised the industry thinks it can make esports the next big thing with all this shoddy programming and broke dick engines they use.

JarekStorm_sl

shitlord
I'm surprised the industry thinks it can make esports the next big thing with all this shoddy programming and broke dick engines they use.
The entire problem is trying to "make" the next big thing. That's not how it works. You cannot just make something a phenomenon, and when you try it always comes across as disingenuous and forced.

Things blow up, and the "me too" companies try desperately to recapture that "lightning in a bottle," but you cannot manufacture that. You can't purposefully recreate that.

Just do what you do best and stop trying to be cash in on everyone else's unique ideas. Copy WoW, copy Minecraft, copy DayZ... it's all just 2nd rate imitations of the originals. Just fucking do your own thing.

Dartoxer_sl

shitlord
Yeah, that's my thought, which is a shame because the forgelight engine seems to be pretty badass from what i have seen in PS2 and H1Z1. Would have been nice to have seen a fantasy MMO without the hyperstylized graphix EQN was moving forward with, but now i doubt we will ever see what it could do.
Yeah. I remember watching that SOE fan faire 2011 video where Smed talked about the Forgelight engine and how cool it will be with EQN. Druids casting rain spells with actual clouds and stuff like that. Man, I was excited.

Here's the one

It's interesting to hear him talk about destructibility, since the EQN he's describing here is the pre-voxel era one. I guess destructibility was something they've always wanted to do, regardless of the engine.

If SOE/Daybreak had wanted to really move EQnext into a direction they should have dropped the stupid minecraft/voxel shit and make it more survival.

For instance:
I want to be stuck in a nasty forest at dusk foraging for food hoping that a friendly mage would swing by and summon me a campfire so I can med through the night, maybe grabbing some food if I haven't gone through it already. If I had decided to train to be more of a outdoorsman instead of a alchemist I would be able to start a fire myself but NOOO I wanted SoW potions! DID I JUST HEAR SOMETHING RUSTLE?

Thats how it should feel at lower levels, and it fits EQ. Classes should have a ass ton of spells, and some should be exceedingly rare.. Hell if I had to steal anything from another game, it would be the sheer amount of legendary gear and skills in games like Path of Exile. I wouldn't even care if mobs were loot pinatas at that point, I just want to explore, gear up, train, and feel powerful over time.

Screw in game maps (unless you are persuing that skill), screw multiclassing, and forcing group encounters ala EQ2 is a waste as well.

Id like to see intelligent mobs, hunt and level up slightly when they kill a PC.. and when enough sentient mobs exist in an area, let them begin creating a fortification. This way less travelled areas will eventually need full groups or more to rebreak to tame the region.

My rant, my 2 cents, tear me up and call me a idiot but anything is better than what Daybreak was wasting time with. They had a megahit, and they just rolled over and gave up as soon as they "lost" the battle with WoW instead of trying to make the initial product better. Such a shame its been this long and nothing has come close to EQ and it could be easily done especially now when graphics are taking a backseat to better gameplay.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Not only that, but when your game is boring as fuck to watch it will never succeed as an esport.