EQ Never

gogojira_sl

shitlord
It might just as well be coincidence, there is easy over a dozen vehicle decals in PS2 that you could attribute to a fantasy origin.
Artwork looks completely different from the generic PS2 fantasy art and file names reference SOE Live, Grindhoof and Askelon which are two EQ references. It's just decal stuff but it's definitely EQ related (be it Next or otherwise).

Dumar_sl

shitlord
RMT is a reality you can't avoid in MMO's
Do you remember the discussions we had about this on the old board? I do. I remember when they first put it in WoW with the first mount / pets. People said it would stop there. I remember the debates about the RMAH in D3, and people said it wouldn't affect gameplay.

I also remember a reality when RMT weren't a part of any MMO.

People are fucking stupid with fucking stupid opinions about how these things will shape gameplay and design decisions, and this industry has progressively gotten worse.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
The gaming industry really doesn't appreciate the 3rd-party markets that pop up around their games.

How long have community sites popped up around every new game and never get utilized properly by the publisher?

Sythrak_sl

shitlord
Do you remember the discussions we had about this on the old board? I do. I remember when they first put it in WoW with the first mount / pets. People said it would stop there. I remember the debates about the RMAH in D3, and people said it wouldn't affect gameplay.

I also remember a reality when RMT weren't a part of any MMO.

People are fucking stupid with fucking stupid opinions about how these things will shape gameplay and design decisions, and this industry has progressively gotten worse.
Well when I speak of RMT, I really mean transactions between players in game and not cash shops. FFXIV 1.0 tried to implement numerous designs into their game to stop RMT like activities and it blew up in their face. No one really likes big brother breathing down their necks while trying to enjoy a game. Some of their designs just left you scratching your head wondering how the fuck it even got past documentation.

I'm completely against cash shops and anything to do with them. I feel like it degrades both the integrity of the game and the value of any accomplishments therein, even if it's retarded items like dyes or skins that's something that could have been put in the game for you to earn or given as a recipe to a crafter. It's just with RMT and cash shops I'm more realistic that it's not going away. As long as there are people willing to pay RL money for pixels, there will always be a market for it.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dumar's memory sucks, unless he is specifically referring to UO and before, because EQ 100% had RMT going on a daily basis. The scrub warrior who randomly had Cobalt boots like a week into Kunark, or the guy with no higher level characters dual wielding Yaks at level 20. Shit like that was far more common than you wish to remember, but it certainly existed. I knew a guy (yay anecdotal evidence) that sold his level 29 druid for 100, then bought the game again with the money and leveled to 50 to sell it again to the -same- person. People have always been willing to bypass what they consider tedium in order to get to what they consider fun in the game.

The advent of mounts in Luclin and the concept of actual plat sinks definitely helped foster the environment, and the continuous development of ingame currency heavy amenities continues the trend. It's why gold was sold in WoW: Mounts and the ability to simply move faster than the average dude made so much of the game trivial that it was a necessary purchase in many people's eyes. So if you just hit max level and could purchase the mount but were short? Why not spend a few bucks and make your life much much easier in terms of accessibility.

The RMT exists and will exist as long as games do. Even if you make a game contain zero currency and everything is no drop, the selling of characters will continue. Unless you tie characters with credit cards or something -and- do the currency measure, it will still happen. It's just the way the world works. I'd much rather work with the given environment than rail against it with zero hope of changing it.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I wish that was still possible as well, maybe stick with a personal group of friends or some from this forum.
That's the only possibility. The odds that, in a pickup group, nobody knows the dungeon are extremely low, unless you are at the bleeding edge of the game (or during beta testing, and even then).

In EQ, I think the only dungeon where I found myself with a couple friends, and none of us knew anything was Befallen. After that, at least one of us had been there before in this or that group...
(and, of course, after dying once in Blackburrow, and needing 48h to find my corpse, I never ever entered a dungeon without having a printed map from EQ Atlas... strong death penalties mean you NEVER enter a dungeon unprepared)

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's the only possibility. The odds that, in a pickup group, nobody knows the dungeon are extremely low, unless you are at the bleeding edge of the game (or during beta testing, and even then).

In EQ, I think the only dungeon where I found myself with a couple friends, and none of us knew anything was Befallen. After that, at least one of us had been there before in this or that group...
(and, of course, after dying once in Blackburrow, and needing 48h to find my corpse, I never ever entered a dungeon without having a printed map from EQ Atlas... strong death penalties mean you NEVER enter a dungeon unprepared)
*unless you had FD. Talk about trivializing danger. I mean rogues could be sneaky and shit and get around things with time, but only SKs/Monks/Necros could just bullrush through shit, break LoS and then go *poof* before moving on. Never had a map printed, explored zones by accident multiple times. Class design alters so many perceptions of what EQ really felt like. For that, I give it a solid thumbs up.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Probs been mentioned before but you know what's sad and/or funny? 180 pages (most in MMO section) talking about a game with barely any information released..

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probs been mentioned before but you know what's sad and/or funny? 180 pages (most in MMO section) talking about a game with barely any information released..
It tells you something about the power of the IP. Besides, hope springs eternal. There is so much interest in the game BECAUSE of the lack of information, not in spite of it. To paraphrase Wilde, interest in Vanguard was the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Interest in EQ Next is the triumph of hope over experience.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
The gaming industry really doesn't appreciate the 3rd-party markets that pop up around their games.

How long have community sites popped up around every new game and never get utilized properly by the publisher?
That's because 99% of community sites are undermoderated shit-heaps.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
*unless you had FD. Talk about trivializing danger. I mean rogues could be sneaky and shit and get around things with time, but only SKs/Monks/Necros could just bullrush through shit, break LoS and then go *poof* before moving on. Never had a map printed, explored zones by accident multiple times. Class design alters so many perceptions of what EQ really felt like. For that, I give it a solid thumbs up.
Mmm. Yeah. The view of my spellbook was fucking fascinating. And those healthbars at the camp? Awesome.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Fast forward years later. Wow, look at all these packs of enemies conveniently placed so that I can weave around them without aggro or just drive straight through and give no fucks.

Almost wish they gave a tooltip ability to see how long mobs have been standing there without being touched since last respawn. But since servers get rebooted at least once a week these days, it kind of kills the "this is a worthless fucking area" note since you can't see the 30+ days on the timer.

rolx_sl

shitlord
rrr_img_27470.jpg

Obviously you fail at anything social OG, Its pretty apparent. And also the fucking point is flying so high above your head Im not even gonna try anymore, OG. So go ahead and call me scrub, while I continue to laugh at your utter fucking stupidity.
Don't be mad scrub. Apparently I was playing a different game than you or just with a different crowd and wasn't around the same people. On my server if you bought any items or gold or anything you were EXCLUDED from the community. And that community was getting world firsts and server firsts. I am very aware that a lot of scrubs that played the game were into buying shit because they didn't want to actually camp somewhere for 2 weeks to get something. But it was VERY under the table low key and people were getting banned for buying accounts. So instead of try to fight it the games gave in and thought oh we can sell items for real money and TAX players for selling their own items. So by letting real money into the game we get MORE money. Thats how cash shops started.

/og out

rrr_img_27470.jpg

rolx_sl

shitlord
Dumar has fallen to the ground.

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
haha true that. i made it through tov to that little castle shit zone I can't remember what it was called its been so long, right before we started raiding it though. Wait for that immunity baby !

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't be mad scrub. Apparently I was playing a different game than you or just with a different crowd and wasn't around the same people. On my server if you bought any items or gold or anything you were EXCLUDED from the community. And that community was getting world firsts and server firsts. I am very aware that a lot of scrubs that played the game were into buying shit because they didn't want to actually camp somewhere for 2 weeks to get something. But it was VERY under the table low key and people were getting banned for buying accounts. So instead of try to fight it the games gave in and thought oh we can sell items for real money and TAX players for selling their own items. So by letting real money into the game we get MORE money. Thats how cash shops started.

/og out
Less EQ and more WoW, but the selling of currency, PL, etc. and the high value placed on them started causing CSR nightmares. So many hacked accounts...I haven't had anyone get around an authenticator yet, though.

DMK_sl

shitlord
It tells you something about the power of the IP. Besides, hope springs eternal. There is so much interest in the game BECAUSE of the lack of information, not in spite of it. To paraphrase Wilde, interest in Vanguard was the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Interest in EQ Next is the triumph of hope over experience.
The power of an OP? Like Star Wars? More like the power of fond memories.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Dumar's memory sucks, unless he is specifically referring to UO and before, because EQ 100% had RMT going on a daily basis. The scrub warrior who randomly had Cobalt boots like a week into Kunark, or the guy with no higher level characters dual wielding Yaks at level 20. Shit like that was far more common than you wish to remember, but it certainly existed. I knew a guy (yay anecdotal evidence) that sold his level 29 druid for 100, then bought the game again with the money and leveled to 50 to sell it again to the -same- person. People have always been willing to bypass what they consider tedium in order to get to what they consider fun in the game.

The advent of mounts in Luclin and the concept of actual plat sinks definitely helped foster the environment, and the continuous development of ingame currency heavy amenities continues the trend. It's why gold was sold in WoW: Mounts and the ability to simply move faster than the average dude made so much of the game trivial that it was a necessary purchase in many people's eyes. So if you just hit max level and could purchase the mount but were short? Why not spend a few bucks and make your life much much easier in terms of accessibility.

The RMT exists and will exist as long as games do. Even if you make a game contain zero currency and everything is no drop, the selling of characters will continue. Unless you tie characters with credit cards or something -and- do the currency measure, it will still happen. It's just the way the world works. I'd much rather work with the given environment than rail against it with zero hope of changing it.
already made a post about this once, might as well do it again. there's a huge fucking difference between players acquiring items and then selling them to other players versus being able to just buy shit off of a cash shop just by logging in. if you're high level, or just extremely lucky, then you earned that rare drop and if you decide you want to sell it, that's your right. i have no problem with that whatsoever. those items are still extremely rare and hard to come by, which drives up the price and creates a market where people are willing to pay for those rare items. that still makes purchasing those items an actual part of the game (whether people want to see this as cheating or not i personally don't care). however, that's completely different than someone being able to just log in and purchase an item from a cash shop. you've now just trivialized those rare drops in the game and completely fucked up the entire game in the process. now there's no incentive to go out and search for those rare drops (because they are now pretty much worthless), and there's no incentive for anyone else to want to go out and actually play the game to try and get those rare items (because they can now just be purchased when logging in).

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Ugh. As much as I loved my time with EQ, the only thing heard now is old epeen arguments back and forth as we rehash the same old tired arguments about why the industry sucks. I don't think epeen has as much vitriol since it's been over a decade since anyone really cared about EQ achievements. Might as well join in lol.

EQ couldn't last because WoW was superior to the consumer. WoW wanted to keep and increase it's unbelievable sub levels so they watered down the game for anyone to meet basic competency. Hopefully kickstarter will give small studios the chance to make games like an updated EQ just the way a nostalgic crowd wants because no publisher seems likely to do it otherwise. A big problem is the same talent making MMOs over and over while another is the lack of talent of idea guys. You just can't have an idea. You need to find talent to help you realize the dream. Just like every other game based genre, the talent is in the indie area. We need to support even the bad ones.