EQ Never

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Remember, this is an ALTERNATE Norrath. Shit isn't gonna be the same. Some stuff will be familiar, some stuff will be new. Give them a chance to tell the story. You guys are fucking on one geez.
I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek there.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
WTF? WTF!... lol They scrapped "design elements" according to Smedley, everything else they kept.

Massively: Let's start with EQ Next. When did you make the call to scrap everything? What was it that made you choose to do so?

John Smedley: A year and a half ago, we made that decision. I didn't get to cover this in the keynote, so I should mention it here. The engine and underlying technology has not changed. A lot of the guts and infrastructure are staying the same. What we're really changing is what the game is all about, all the design elements. We made one fundamental shift to emergent gameplay.

althuna_sl

shitlord
It doesn't say "everything else they kept" it just says the technology and guts. It could have a completely new look for all we know, and we don't even know what look that old version had!

And when I start a post with "I think its more likely" you can't sensibly condemn me for spreading misinformation. Don't make me have my posts go through a lawyer.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
SoE would be stupid to scrap the art just because they want to change to a sandbox, that would put them years behind.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They probably kept a lot of stuff.. Dungeons, classes, etc. just reworked to fit thier idea.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek there.
Wasn't you per se. Just all the belly aching on how its not like EQ1. I have a newsflash for all those people. Its not going to be. Some things may be similar, but a lot of things have changed.

On the graphics, I will say this. I used to be a huge fan of realistic graphics. It works well in single player games and FPS, but in MMOs it sucks. After seriously playing WoW and getting past the cartoony graphics, I must say, the world grew on me. It had style. It had VARIETY. It ran great. Those stylized graphics allowed the devs to do much cooler stuff in game that realism would never allow. So if thats the trade off for a good running game, then I'll take it. That's not to say I like every decision about WoW's gameplay and design choices. I don't. But when people say Wildstar is WoW 2.0 in graphics, that doesn't bug me in the slightest.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
It doesn't say "everything else they kept" it just says the technology and guts. It could have a completely new look for all we know, and we don't even know what look that old version had!

And when I start a post with "I think its more likely" you can't sensibly condemn me for spreading misinformation. Don't make me have my posts go through a lawyer.
You're just wrong at this point. Stop spreading FUD is my only point. We have enough of that going around. Thats why I am the only crazy person that maintains this game could launch this year, besides the fact Smed's words implied it. I cant wait until SOE live so I can shut some of the armchair devs in here up.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Flipmode,

I don't mind cartoony graphics but they really shouldn't be too much like WoW either. You shouldn't do MASSIVE shoulderguards unless the fanbase is truly clamoring for them. There shouldn't be yellow anything above anyone's heads ,etc. I don't mind cartoony because of what you can do with it but with that statement being made, show the differences constantly and with impact. I hope Smed agrees.

Nobody_sl

shitlord
I like how people are taking this one artist's "reinterpretation" of some old box art and thinking it will, in any way whatsoever, resemble the final in game graphics. Anyone do a check for the original EQ box art and compare that to what we got? There's a little bit of a discrepancy.

For all we know, this dude hasn't even seen any in-game assets...

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dunno.. the Kerran on the EQN is the one leaked earlier. TBH.. I kind of like the art from that wallpaper but I'm not picky on graphics. I just want a good game.

We really don't know how this stuff will look in game tho.

Bizarro Norrath predictions:

1. Erollisi Marr is the token Firiona Vie babe
2. Erudin is a player hub
3. Kerrans are playable

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I could give fuck all what they do with the lore as long as the new game is good. It is hilarious that they beat blizzard at the scheme I expected them to pull: Titan becomes WoW2 which is an alternate reality started by the Bronze dragonflight after we fuck up sargeras.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
They better not have anything EVEN CLOSE to fucking WoW models. If the trolls and ogres aren't fat, scratching their asses, and can actually fit everywhere in the world, they've failed.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
They better not have anything EVEN CLOSE to fucking WoW models. If the trolls and ogres aren't fat, scratching their asses, and can actually fit everywhere in the world, they've failed.
What's it like when your life is nothing but an unending series of disappointments?

Zacx_sl

shitlord
I like how people are taking this one artist's "reinterpretation" of some old box art and thinking it will, in any way whatsoever, resemble the final in game graphics. Anyone do a check for the original EQ box art and compare that to what we got? There's a little bit of a discrepancy.
slight difference yeah
O4lk8zW.jpg