EQ Never

Fingz_sl

shitlord
People try out other MMOs all the time. If they find themselves as having more fun in their new MMO, they stick with that MMO. It's like voting for your favorite MMO.

I do this. Among other MMOs, I left WoW to try out GW2, didn't have as much fun in GW2 so now I'm back in WoW. I tend to buy into hype. Now I'm looking at Wildstar.

If you want a wildly successful MMO, just make something more fun than WoW.

Now for niche games, say a hard game like a "Demon Soul" MMO, you'd have to justify lowballing to your investors. "You're telling us that you want 60 million to just get 200k subs and that's all the subs you expect?" I don't know how many subs a "Demon Soul" MMO would get, but you see my point.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Games like EQN are addressed to a massive audience. SOE it's not a niche indie operation.
You mean they really, really don't want to be one
wink.png

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Ok, and this can be clumped together with all the other pieces of shit that never made it anywhere. Warhammer, EQ2, AoC. All little clumps of shit that hover around 100-200K. Sucess? maybe if you call it that. Im sure they are all making money. Shit, EQ still has 100K+. Fuckhead!
Turbine's income from LOTRO has at leasttripledsince it went F2P. This means that either the playerbase suddenly stopped shrinking immediately and every single remaining player is buying ~$50 worth of stuff from their online store every single month...or its account numbers havedramaticallyrisen since it became free and they're spending two bucks here, five bucks there.

I mean, it's a little difficult to get 'sub numbers' when most people don't have a sub butfollow the money.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not sure where you read it tripled but I think it would make sense as a lot of players looking for a real PVE option are somewhat limited and tend to consider that or VG. The FTP makes that much easier to do.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Like EQ, which wasn't, and EQ2, which tried but failed?
Relative to what market realities were back then, EQ was. And it's development didn't end in 1999 either. It changed gears and tried to go larger as well.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
EQN will be shit either way, SOE can't put together a decent client no matter what. Their latest entries are EQ2 and Planetside 2 and both deliver absolute dogshit for performance.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
EQN will be shit either way, SOE can't put together a decent client no matter what. Their latest entries are EQ2 and Planetside 2 and both deliver absolute dogshit for performance.
I've heard nothing but good things about PS2's performance. Are there issues with the engine?

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I disagree with him as well. If people are jumping from game to game its not because they like doing so, IMO, its because they cannot find a good home to settle down to. All it is is a testament to how unappealing those games are in for the longterm.
It couldn't simply be because they like to play a lot of different games?

I think it's a bigger problem if someone is 'married' to a game.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It couldn't simply be because they like to play a lot of different games?

I think it's a bigger problem if someone is 'married' to a game.
If the game provides enough content and fun why is that a problem? That makes no sense to me..

Everyone has their own preferences, and I know a lot will disagree with me, but I actually hope they throw WoW type "quest hubbing" out of the window. I fucking hate it. I miss grinding it out in cazic thule, waiting on a list to get in a camp, etc etc. I know a lot of friends hated that aspect of EQ, but damn I miss it. The long ass fights with like, no skills to use caused me to actually TALK to my group members and guild mates. Most people on Veeshan knew everyone else on Veeshan, and that has not been replicated in any game I have played since.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everyone has their own preferences, and I know a lot will disagree with me, but I actually hope they throw WoW type "quest hubbing" out of the window. I fucking hate it. I miss grinding it out in cazic thule, waiting on a list to get in a camp, etc etc. I know a lot of friends hated that aspect of EQ, but damn I miss it. The long ass fights with like, no skills to use caused me to actually TALK to my group members and guild mates. Most people on Veeshan knew everyone else on Veeshan, and that has not been replicated in any game I have played since.
Actually I think its the opposite.. A lot of is agree with you.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
exactly this. grim's rant, in a nutshell, is a perfect example of why they're called the ADD generation. they're like fucking goldfish. "wha? something can hold my attention for more than 30 minutes? no fucking way!"
Lol, that's funny considering that I'm probably older than 99 percent of the people on this site. Having been around the block a few times, and all the other blocks nearby, we old folks like to see new sights.

The point of my "rant" is that I like to play a bunch of mmo's. I don't leave them to never return. I keep going back, spend a few days or weeks, and then go to another one I haven't played in a while. Or I go play the new shiney for a few weeks and if it's good, add it to my growing list of mmo's I regularly play. I have a bunch of friends who do the same thing and we play together whenever we happen to be in the same mmo. F2P allows for more variety and that is a good thing for everyone.

For the younger set that you so dismissivly call "the ADD" generation. They were born into a world of endless options. With new mmo's, toys, games, movies etc coming out every day that blow away the extremely limited choices we had. Why should they follow some old style of gaming that was born out of necessity? Why should they continue playing a game after they have chewed through all it's content in a couple months? A new mmo comes out every couple months that is fresh and has more content than any update to the old game will have. So of course they are going to move on, it's human nature and to expect otherwise is just silly. You people are arguing for a model of play that is already as dead as the dodo.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Instead of blowing thru content they are just blowing thru another game. You're missing our point Grim. We want a game you can't blow thru in a matter of weeks. Something that has more going on than the treadmill. What people are asking for is to stop the lazy, fast money designs.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There aren't enough devs nor enough money to create the amount of content you are looking for in just one game. It isn't realistic to ask for it.

Just consider all mmo's together as one giant mmo and then you have your answer.

edit: Some sort of link between separate mmo's that allowed communities to devolope across them would help. A smart entrepreneur could put that together while working with all the different companies. This would allow ingame chat across games and allow for friends to easily find each other. The competing companies would have to agree, which would be tough. But some of the lesser succesful mmo's might be convinced if they could be shown it would help their bottom line.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
There aren't enough devs nor enough money to create the amount of content you are looking for in just one game.
I'm quite certain EverQuest had a lower budget than all those games today where you simply "blast through content".

supertouch_sl

shitlord
1. people don't play games they hate. stop trying to convince people otherwise. furthermore, games are supposed to piss you off at times. if you can't appreciate the lows and just like to ride the highs then there is something seriously wrong with your brain chemistry.

2. stop trying to assess the market when there hasn't been a game like eq since. expecting a 13-year-old mmo to attract new players doesn't count.

3. lotro's f2p system was largely successful because they did away with the retail purchase of the game. i'd rather download a game for free and subscribe than pay 60 bucks just to test the waters.