EQ Never

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Watch it be something totally out of the box, e.g. similar to no stats on armor, weapons dont have dps only abilities(hamstring, fire arrow), and then mobs wont have hp only a 'hit count' say 10 hits kills a kobold and 50 on an orc and so-on.
That way, even when you are tier5 you could still be overrun solo by 10 kobolds, but maybe your tier5 mace has some abilities to help mitigate crowds.
Edit: And it falls into the 'as long as a healer helps do dmg' (attacks) they'll be participating, and cuts down on gear/dps inflation. And maybe certain affects, like fire, count as 2 hits vs a mob w/ fire weakness.
I am all about new systems and not being beholden to the past but this post reflexively stirred my inner rolx/supertouch.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
He said he's leaving this place. I'll miss him
rrr_img_40009.png

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
No big loss.

He gets banned for every post because every post he's made since the EQ Next reveal has included personal attacks.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Does anyone know (or have a link) about the underlying software tech for the AI? From expert systems to neural nets, etc., a lot of ai tech has been old hat for decades.

Expert Sys can simulate a dynamic mode but quickly grow unwieldy. Neural are/were ok for limited scope projects. My knowledge in the field is a bit out of date, but I'd be very interested in the base software design of what they're using for EQN.

"smedbox..." eewwww
The best(?) source is probably Dave Mark's page o' html crazy:http://www.intrinsicalgorithm.com/He's the Combat AI consultant for StoryBricks.

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
No big loss.

He gets banned for every post because every post he's made since the EQ Next reveal has included personal attacks.
oh noz, someone attacked me personally on the internetz. somebody do something i have been offended wahhh wwahhhhh.

On topic. Been watching some interviews about EQN today. Seems open world player housing is in, which is pretty cool. But the lack of end game worries me. Seems as if you get a group large enough you can just zerg everything in the game from day one... thanks horizontal progression? idk. Someone explain to me how that won't happen.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Watch it be something totally out of the box, e.g. similar to no stats on armor, weapons dont have dps only abilities(hamstring, fire arrow), and then mobs wont have hp only a 'hit count' say 10 hits kills a kobold and 50 on an orc and so-on.
That way, even when you are tier5 you could still be overrun solo by 10 kobolds, but maybe your tier5 mace has some abilities to help mitigate crowds.
Edit: And it falls into the 'as long as a healer helps do dmg' (attacks) they'll be participating, and cuts down on gear/dps inflation. And maybe certain affects, like fire, count as 2 hits vs a mob w/ fire weakness.
Seems plausible I can see the tier 5 mace having the lightning proc like the stiv or wtf weapon is in lol. Hadn't really thought about mob abilities or hp. Who knows, I await the combat doc with unease.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
People getting feelings hurt over post on the internet dont deserve to use the internet.
Eh, I don't think anyone got their feelings hurt - except qwerty, being butthurt that EQNext didn't turn out to be EverQuest HD. He just didn't hardly ever contribute to the conversation.

oh noz, someone attacked me personally on the internetz. somebody do something i have been offended wahhh wwahhhhh.
I don't really give a shit personally, I could just ignore him like I have to other non-contributing posters - but obviously the mods cared. I reported him once for taking his EverQuest Next tirade into non-EQNext threads, but that's about it.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

On topic. Been watching some interviews about EQN today. Seems open world player housing is in, which is pretty cool. But the lack of end game worries me. Seems as if you get a group large enough you can just zerg everything in the game from day one... thanks horizontal progression? idk. Someone explain to me how that won't happen.
Two words. Instanced raids. Except for a few overworld competitive (single) raid mobs. They have said instancing is in game but have been coy about where it is.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'll miss Qwerty too but only as a rare source of humor. His opinions always shat up threads for pages and you could see a thread derail coming when he was in the forum.

Did anyone ever get any meaningful debate, answers, etc from talking to the guy?

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Lame. But even if it is instanced, they would also have to limit the raid size to prevent an army of PC's from just marching in and laying a relentless siege upon the boss/zone.

But even if it is instanced, they would also have to limit the raid size to prevent an army of PC's from just marching in and laying a relentless siege upon the boss/zone.
why? if the army of PCs attacks a single area, then this new next-gen AI should flank them right?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'll miss Qwerty too but only as a rare source of humor. His opinions always shat up threads for pages and you could see a thread derail coming when he was in the forum.

Did anyone ever get any meaningful debate, answers, etc from talking to the guy?
Sure in the EQMac thread, IIRC.

The action combat in EQN could be seen a long way off - so I don't understand the surprise some people had.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
They should just makes raid encounters scale with the amount of players, above a certain amount.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Did I hear the word... instance?
I thought you knew. There are some very limited instances in EQN - exactly where? They won't say, I am just guessing it is used for raid dungeons. The vast majority of content is persistent in-world (or non-persistent in-world if we're talking about the magic regenerating content) so isn't an issue. It's the unknowns about combat that could bring the suck to the EQN.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
why? if the army of PCs attacks a single area, then this new next-gen AI should flank them right?
Too hard to effectively balance. Let's say an uber guild goes out and crushes everything they meet based mainly off great communication and numbers(they get new recruits daily for the grind because they are 'winning'. When they get to a raid, then they just recruit locals as well. Suddenly EQN has the same problems Eve did in handling way too many people in one area. The boss either goes down fairly quickly, ends up being a FF11 boss that is virtually unkillable, or they make a system where 'reinforcements' are quickly spawned to make this harder. Any way you make it, there will probably be massive issues that are extremely hard to balance.

Instancing at least some of the fight saves a lot of troubles.