EQ Never

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I love FoH, it keeps on giving; never asking for anything in return. It's the perfect girlfriend or something.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty much bud.

I know after I said I have no backing I won't have credibility. But everyone here knows me. I am sick to fucking death of talking and ripping on a genre in which we could all be playing right now.

I have the cash. I have the ethics. And I do not CARE how much money I may make or not make.

I will make a fun game.

Be back soon with more nifo, if you want any info, I'll tell you here because I do not believe in holding back shit for gamespot bucks.
This is how evey game should be developed. A pure passion project.

I'm not sure you will ever be able or have the time/resources to make a game but man do i applaud that type of attitude. Plus nets if i could.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You know what incapsulated us when we were playing EQ? Us.

You know what is missing? Us.

That magic that is gone? Us.

While we click our heroic dungeon instance and have a magical group appear before our eyes, in a queue, we sacrifice what made THE MAGIC of EQ. And while every designer tries to mimic something to recapture those days, it's something that was neverin their control to begin with. It was always, us.

We were the ones, without a queue. Waiting for a group while we shouted across a zone, or talked to friends. This game (EQ) WAS our social media. And THAT is what made EQ magical.

Course you can add the music, like coming up to the bridge of North Karana, or sitting on the river in West Karana... The point is the mainstay of the game? Just a bunch of people talking to each other. And you knew their names. And you came back the next night, and ordered a pizza at home, and found the same people there. And you couldn't wait to log in, and say hello. And maybe level up. But the reason why you logged in? The people. And you didn't real;y give a shit if you were sitting at the zone line waiting. You had people to talk to. A virtual chat room. In a new world.

Everquest hit at a time where no social media existed and it WAS social media at its best in a D&D form. In a world where you could escape but yet, still log in and see those familiar avatars.

You won't ever have that again. And if you never played 1999-2002, you won't ever have the chance to know what it felt like. But for those looking for that magic? It cannot happen again. Because it wasn't the game we logged into. It was a vehicle to log into to have fun playing a mediocre game with relatively boring mechanics and the reason we did it was to talk to our new internet friends.

The problem now is how to evolve. How you do it? Bring AI to it's extreme. Pack mobs? Seriously? How about seasons. How about NPC AI adjusting to those seasons. How about making the world so intriguing that people cannot log out of it. They WANT to be there. Now, this game will exist. Trust me.... I am about to put my foot where my mouth has been for ages. Fuck, if I don't, who the hell will take the risk.

A new age in MMORPG's will come.

Utnayan will lead it.
Good post I agree with almost all of it I've actually made most of the same points in separate posts here myself but you brought them nicely together in one post.

I would add one extra item that is critical to creating the community feeling EQ had. That being creating the perception that players playing the game are gaining some perceived economic value by doing so. They don't actually ever have to actualize that economic value but they do need to feel that the six to eight hours they spent playing the game on a given day did have some real world economic value.

The problem with modern MMO today is hordes of third worlders with a internet connection have crushed this aspect of MMO that were key factors in early success of both EQ and WoW.

Once you drive out the third worlders and return the markets real life $ markets in these games back to the western highschoolers and college students making $5 to $10 a hour. Instead of current c50 to$1 a hour third worlders make. That lets you recreate the incentive for people to invest more time in game. This is because they feel time they spend in game is being validated by real life economic worth even if the players never actually realize that worth.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
The biggest thing UT has going for him with this project is us. Don't be afraid to use us like brad pimps out his crew. I am more than willing to throw some podcast action into the mix!

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Pretty much bud.

I know after I said I have no backing I won't have credibility. But everyone here knows me. I am sick to fucking death of talking and ripping on a genre in which we could all be playing right now.

I have the cash. I have the ethics. And I do not CARE how much money I may make or not make.

I will make a fun game.

Be back soon with more nifo, if you want any info, I'll tell you here because I do not believe in holding back shit for gamespot bucks.
I don't trust you to make a good game Ut only because while you might be a wiz on what's wrong with MMO development houses I can't remember the last time you discussed the goodness and badness of actual MMO mechanics.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, at this point shouldn't there be a new thread about UT's game? Pantheon will not exist so he could already be one up on that thread.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
If we can get Ut, Dumar, and Tad to collaborate here then this is gonna rock!
Lol

And since we're theorycrafting again:

If you're trying to push the boundaries then an MMO needs to solve the following problems (in no particular order):

- Content. Content for the guy who can only play an hour a day, the guy who can play 3-4 hours a day but only on weekends and for the guy who can play 30-40 hours a week.

- The Barrens (lack of players in low level adventuring areas after the game is mature raises difficulty for newbies entering game and for vets returning to game).

- Value (The game must be worth the subscription and relatedly, the in-game effort (risk) must be worth the reward).

Storybricks, for example, is an attempt to solve the Content problem and the Value problem but you still have a Barrens problem. Blizzard's Jump to 90 is an attempt to resolve the Barrens problem but causes a Value problem.