EQ Never

Bruman

Golden Squire
I bet someone is going to show Patheon at this yearkickstarter fan faire.
I'm sure they'll have plenty of fun events!

ee5.png

Mur_sl

shitlord
Yeah but EQ2 was like 11 years ago Vinyard.
rrr_img_93342.jpg

They are going back, blowing the dust off of one of the earlier iterations of EQ3, and putting a little polish on it is what I figure. Or maybe those devs who had the old school side project are getting green lighted...

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Spoiling the ebook for all you homos who probably don't care to read them anyway.

Takes place in the Keldarain era. The Keldarain are the 4 mortal races around at the time: eldarr, akhevan, pridak, and some other one I can't remember.

Innoruuk confirmed. Started out as a badass Akhevan warrior. Keldarain allied with the dragons to defeat elemental Titans destroying Norrath. High profile Keldarain (Druzzil, Inny, Solusek) soul bound with dragons and became uber dragon rider knights with nature powers drawn from Nor'I.

Solusek discovers artifacts that the mortal races can use to become God-like, uses one himself. Worthy candidates are chosen to use the artifacts, Inny is among them. The process destroys his soul bind with his companion dragon. He goes nuts, betrays the other Seraphs while they are on a quest to defeat the 'Queen of Lies, Lamashtu' who is a denizen of Chaos. The dragons (Veeshan) represent Order, similar to the old lore.

Inny enslaves and corrupts the Akhevans. Vex Thal falls into ruin. They trick the Tier'Dal into a desperate alliance, and betray them. Keramore Thex, Lanys T'Vyll, their unborn child, and the rest of them become the Dark Elves with Akhevan like horns and ashen skin. Become part of Inny's army bent on spreading chaos.

Inny does this in the name of rejoining with the lost part of his soul - which has been reborn into Ithiosar the Black.

In short, the lore is fucking cool as shit.

Kinaniff_sl

shitlord
You know what incapsulated us when we were playing EQ? Us.

You know what is missing? Us.

That magic that is gone? Us.

While we click our heroic dungeon instance and have a magical group appear before our eyes, in a queue, we sacrifice what made THE MAGIC of EQ. And while every designer tries to mimic something to recapture those days, it's something that was neverin their control to begin with. It was always, us.

We were the ones, without a queue. Waiting for a group while we shouted across a zone, or talked to friends. This game (EQ) WAS our social media. And THAT is what made EQ magical........
As insightful as that all sounds, the converse is equally true. What makes these games lousy is us. What makes them boring is us. What makes them not worth playing is us. The cynical, perverted, infantile, sociopathic, self serving, greedy, rude, ill tempered, attention starved, trolling, criminal, socially inept, lying, ignorant, immature, etc, us. That's who ruined chat rooms, and who keeps ruining mmos, who makes us all just want to quit these games and move on in our lives.

The reason chat rooms went down the toilet? The people. Why forum boards become bastions of the miserable? The reason most mmos fail to be fun and engaging? Because of the people. The socially inept, the predators, the control freaks, the stubborn, the stupid, the behaving badly kids, the people who cannot muster together a real social life, people you don't wanna be around, whatever you wanna call them, all discovered the internet.

With fun loving sociable people, you can have fun with a stick and a ball, hell, just the ball. With the chronically unhappy, dissatisfied, frustrated, insecure, self important, you can make a game with more features than Disneyland and it's going to fall flat, because of the people.

And the reason we need a queue to appear before our eyes is because we are sick of dealing and putting up with all of what so many players are and we just wanna get past that. And Wow and any other game is smart to make it so you have as little dealings with others as possible so you don't have to deal with the endless parade of assholes that is the internet.

So I am not sure what you think will evolve past what. Your fantasy of "the people" is incredibly naive. Because anyone knows that where there is no accountability and internet anonymity, that degraded and odious persons will ruin it for everyone, left unchecked. Just like they do every damn game to the degree that the mechanics prevent them from doing so.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
As insightful as that all sounds, the converse is equally true. What makes these games lousy is us. What makes them boring is us. What makes them not worth playing is us. The cynical, perverted, infantile, sociopathic, self serving, greedy, rude, ill tempered, attention starved, trolling, criminal, socially inept, lying, ignorant, immature, etc, us. That's who ruined chat rooms, and who keeps ruining mmos, who makes us all just want to quit these games and move on in our lives.
Tell us how you really feel please.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Hahaha who let this fucking kid in here?

Can someone 420NoScopeBLAZEIT ban this #Wakandanf4g before he /wrists like the babby he is?

Get rekt son

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

The reason chat rooms went down the toilet? The people. Why forum boards become bastions of the miserable? The reason most mmos fail to be fun and engaging? Because of the people. The socially inept, the predators, the control freaks, the stubborn, the stupid, the behaving badly kids, the people who cannot muster together a real social life, people you don't wanna be around, whatever you wanna call them, all discovered the internet.

With fun loving sociable people, you can have fun with a stick and a ball, hell, just the ball. With the chronically unhappy, dissatisfied, frustrated, insecure, self important, you can make a game with more features than Disneyland and it's going to fall flat, because of the people.

And the reason we need a queue to appear before our eyes is because we are sick of dealing and putting up with all of what so many players are and we just wanna get past that. And Wow and any other game is smart to make it so you have as little dealings with others as possible so you don't have to deal with the endless parade of assholes that is the internet.

So I am not sure what you think will evolve past what. Your fantasy of "the people" is incredibly naive. Because anyone knows that where there is no accountability and internet anonymity, that degraded and odious persons will ruin it for everyone, left unchecked. Just like they do every damn game to the degree that the mechanics prevent them from doing so.
Dood, there are people you describe in every demographic slice of society you can come up with... what made older MMos seem great is you HAD TO DEPEND ON OTHERS TO ADVANCE.

It caused us all to display our more cooperative and kind side... because we needed each other. Solo to cap games you don't and we don't have to be nice.

its that simple.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
To the retard who claimed I was 'trolling':

sat?ire
'sa?ti(?)r/
noun
the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.
synonyms: mockery, ridicule, derision, scorn, caricature; More

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Personally what hooked me to EQ in the beginning was the potential. You never knew what was going to happen. Vanilla was sandbox in the extreme and what you could imagine the devs were working on was hopefully more of the same and refined to be better. Kunark was better, velious less so, then B team and WoW beta and history is made.

Every new MMO I play gets compared to EQ and Vanilla Wow. The more theme park-y the less legs they have for me. The more guided experience, the less adventure I feel. I want the griffon in the low level zone, the bear loving hippy rangers of doom. When everything is safe and structured the wonder is gone.

I sure hope that the team for EQnext can deliver. Under new management might help, or it might not. Only time will tell.

90Proof_sl

shitlord
As insightful as that all sounds, the converse is equally true. What makes these games lousy is us. What makes them boring is us. What makes them not worth playing is us. The cynical, perverted, infantile, sociopathic, self serving, greedy, rude, ill tempered, attention starved, trolling, criminal, socially inept, lying, ignorant, immature, etc, us. That's who ruined chat rooms, and who keeps ruining mmos, who makes us all just want to quit these games and move on in our lives. ...
I agree that the community in and around a game plays a huge role in whether or not I stay subscribed and engaged.

I do not think the current online gaming environment is completely hopeless though. I've followed the Rerolled crowd recently through two mmo's; FFXIV and Blizzard's Warlord's of Draenor. Folks around here tend to be experienced, helpful, and very tolerant of whatever playstyle you adopt (I'm extremely casual). I will join the Rerolled crew again when this game goes live and the server selection/announcement thread gets kicked off in this forum.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Create a game where you need knowledgeable, prepared people who work well with others in order to succeed.

No time sinks.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Create a game where you need knowledgeable, prepared people who work well with others in order to succeed.

No time sinks.
Lol....ummm, yeah. They actually want to make money so that incredibly small demographic just isnt enough.

You know what I think MMOs and other multiplayer games might need? People that know how to play with others. Yeah...and no time sinks either!