EQ Never

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm pretty sure he said we would get to demo it at the 2013 fan faire. I plan to be there in August for that very reason.
Didn't he also say that everyone is going to be able to play by the end of 2013 it and it won't be a "Beta" either? which "hinted" that EQ Next is going to be released before the end of 2013.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't he also say that everyone is going to be able to play by the end of 2013 it and it won't be a "Beta" either? which "hinted" that EQ Next is going to be released before the end of 2013.
Pretty much this.. He all but said it will be out by end of year.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Jeff Butler?

Wasn't his wife the lead for Guide program back at Verant? Michelle I think her name was, wasn't it? Cute chick. Anyone got naked pics?

THE CEO

"EverQuest Next was a black box project for years - and it was only last month that Smedley and the team showed it to the EverQuest and EverQuest 2 teams. Smedley says he was so nervous the night before the presentation that he couldn't sleep - but that both teams received it enthusiastically.

Players will have to wait a bit longer to try it themselves, but maybe not as long as you'd expect. "Players will get their hands onan actual release versionof what we're doing late [this] year - and I don't mean a beta," says Smedley. "

Source:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/1...Es_Smedley.php

VERSUS

THE COMMUNITY MANAGER

"Highly unlikely that EQN will launch in 2013. Smed said we'd have "something," but that could be one of a million facets."

Source:http://eq2wire.com/2013/02/12/eqnext...2013-unlikely/

Who the fuck is in charge over there?

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I was thinking it would be something like "the newbie isle" like eq 2 had. Intro to their crafting system, playable classes, combat etc up to like level 10 or something. Finished / tangible not world spoiling beta but something to generate some hype.

Deisun_sl

shitlord
I feel like this is my only glimmer of hope in the MMO genre. I'm pretty excited about it even though I know I shouldn't be. I mean, I'm not excited that this is my ONLY hope, but that there IS a hope. I'm officially done with the WoW model or anything close to it. As such, the mmorpg genre is as good as dead to me right now.

Hoping SoE can bring it back to life. I guess my only re-assuring thought is that they were able to step out of the box and create Everquest once. What's stopping them from stepping out of the box again?

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
High hopes Deisun.

Times have changed. Game developpers have stopped going from "deal with it" type of feedback to "here's epic gear to start with on a silver platter. Just e-mail us and we'll boost you through the entire game".

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i played on project 99 for the first time ever last night. it was cool to see some of the old world zones full and people in kunark raid gear. i would definitely devote some time to eq if sony implemented some truly classic servers and they had healthy populations. have they ever done something like that?

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
EQ1 style travel please. Don't need another WoW clone.

Go enter your Mountain Dew codes elsewhere you scumbags.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
High hopes Deisun.

Times have changed. Game developpers have stopped going from "deal with it" type of feedback to "here's epic gear to start with on a silver platter. Just e-mail us and we'll boost you through the entire game".
That's an unfortunate truth, hopefully the pendulum will swing away from WoW-type MMOs eventually. God knows the copies havent exactly not met expectations.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i'd like to know who developers are trying to target these days. it seems like this is the only genre where people expect to make significant progress in 20 minutes. can you imagine people approaching every fucking game that way? "oh, i'm going to buy skyrim and play 10 minutes every day instead of behaving like a normal human being and playing when i have adequate free time." i find it hard to believe that the mmo community is largely comprised of non-gamers.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
i find it hard to believe that the mmo community is largely comprised of non-gamers.
It's not that the community is comprised of non-gamers, but they certainly aren't hardcore gamers like we might have been back in 1999/early 2000s. Most of them have no idea what a "hard" game is. And most of them seem to want a game that they can pick up for a few hours at a time and still feel like they've achieved something. EQ just doesn't lend to that kind of sense of achievement when played for a couple hours.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
EQ just doesn't lend to that kind of sense of achievement when played for a couple hours.
Yeah. You won't see any today's MMO "hardcore" gamers say "I've worked on my epic for fucking 3 months. Waking up people in the middle of the night to start clearing a Plane so my mob would be up when it's cleared and didn't get killed by other NPC's in the zone, getting people together for epic fights. Losing my epic thingie when we wiped due to server reset and then finally, everything falling into place and I got it."

Today, people argue about "having to raid" 3 nights per week and complaining. It's too much. Well, gee.. I think the achievement gets bigger compared to how much you put into it. Did whomever in WoW impress me with killing 25man Lich King on Hard mode? Fuck no. Sure, I'll give them dedication and some sense of accomplisment of doing something nobody else did, but put them into EQ mode and they'll be complaining in a month.

YIMMY_sl

shitlord
Do mmo players usually play other games as well? I grew up really only playing MMO's and Half-Life...couldn't really enjoy anything else to be honest.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I was already "grown up" when EQ came out, so I had been playing tons of other games at the time. However, once I really got into EQ, I really stopped playing everything else. Once I stopped playing EQ years later, it was kind of cool that I had this huge backlog of games to play still!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Who the fuck is in charge over there?
Meet the guy that brought you the EQ2 F2P system hailed around the world. (Not really.)

Dave Georgeson

From his linked in because I think we all know better on how well his work was received.

"Recent accomplishments while acting as Exec Producer of the EQ Franchise and Sr. Producer of EQII:
- Launched the stand-alone, level-agnostic expansion pack, "Age of Discovery".

- Converted EQII to a fully free-to-play model, reunifying its audience, doubling revenue and tripling new subscriber rates.
Financial success it seems.

- Launched "EverQuest II: Extended", the new free-to-play service in August.Extremely successful as a testbed for the F2P model.
We all know this was lauded as one of the worst free to play models ever in this space.

- Launched the best-selling to-date expansion pack for "EverQuest II", named "Destiny of Velious", in February.
I hadn't played this, but I heard this was not a very good expansion. However, I am guessing to sold well because of it's name and resonance with former EQ players hoping for the best here.

Suffice it to say, this project would be something to really look forward too without the relics. Personally, Higby would have been the ultimate choice here.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Yeah. You won't see any today's MMO "hardcore" gamers say "I've worked on my epic for fucking 3 months. Waking up people in the middle of the night to start clearing a Plane so my mob would be up when it's cleared and didn't get killed by other NPC's in the zone, getting people together for epic fights. Losing my epic thingie when we wiped due to server reset and then finally, everything falling into place and I got it."

Today, people argue about "having to raid" 3 nights per week and complaining. It's too much. Well, gee.. I think the achievement gets bigger compared to how much you put into it. Did whomever in WoW impress me with killing 25man Lich King on Hard mode? Fuck no. Sure, I'll give them dedication and some sense of accomplisment of doing something nobody else did, but put them into EQ mode and they'll be complaining in a month.
Time investment is a really stupid way to determine what is "hardcore" and what isn't. The folks who beat WoW cutting edge heroic content first are amazing players. There is absolutely nothing easy about raiding at that level in WoW. Most of the people who claim WoW is "ezmode" are just ignorant and haven't got a clue what they are talking about. You can ask any of our local EQ Fires of Heaven members. I have seen both Sean and Ravv comment on how EQ was not even close to being difficult. That is why when Fires of Heaven moved to WoW some of their members (people who would of been considered extremely "hardcore" in EQ) were fucking awful embarrassments who couldn't do even simple tasks in Warcraft. Best cleric in my EQ guild quit WoW when we got to Onyxia because she couldn't handle the fight/stress of being a healer in WoW. This woman btw is a grandmother who went back to EQ to be "hardcore" again.

EQ was about time investment, and patience. If you had both then congratulations you could be "hardcore". I don't mean to bust your balls, but I find the revisionist history when it comes to EQ to be annoying. I am currently still playing EQ, and I love it, but lets at least call a spade a spade. You are of course welcome to be impressed by whatever you want, but when I see those guys getting world firsts in WoW I have to give them credit for being amazing gamers. I don't try and kid myself into believing the current progression I am working on in EQ is even remotely close to being in the same league.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Defining what is hard and what isn't is really a pointless exercise. And reminds me of superman vs hulk arguments, only retards care.

WoW, EQ and other games require different skill sets to succeed. Being good at one doesn't always translate to the other. If all games and their playstyles were exactly the same then your argument would matter. Thankfully, we have variety and choice. Not as much as many of us would like, but it does exist.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
World firsts, sure I will agree with you. But for the other 99.9%, following others strats and executing them, its nothing more than reading a guide and herding the idiots to do what needs to be done. I do agree that wow is definitely more twitchy and the scripted events require utmost attention to detail and making sure all 25 or 10 people do shit right is a challenge of its own. Before this EQ was basically tank and spank, with CH rotations. But im sure EQ now has way more variety at end game.