EQ Never

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Tyen will be 80 and on his fucking death bed screaming incoherently about still working on shoving EQ into a browser.

The stupidity of the whole thing with EQNext is that they don't need another EQ.

All they need is a new game client and game server utilizing up to date technologies.

Keep the same game rules and data as current EQ. They could sale that shit for another decade because there are no EQ-CLONES out there.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's a reason there's no EQ clones out there brother.

rrr_img_133221.jpg

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's a reason there's no EQ clones out there brother.
I never really thought about it before but were there ever any EQ clones? DAOC, AC, and whatever else came out around that time seemed to try and take a different approach. Most MMOs released after 2004 have more in common with WoW than EQ. Vanguard could have been the closest thing to an EQ clone but it seemed to be a mash up of EQ and WoW. Pre-WoW the only other MMO I can think of that was really popular was Lineage and it didn't strike me as being that related to EQ but I do not have much experience with it.

For a game to be a clone of EQ what would it need?
1. Majority of content is group based.
2. Unique classes that while some overlap exists they typically bring something special to the table others can't.
3. Majority of PVE content is open world. (era dependent)
4. Time = Power. Players who have the ability to spend more time in game tend to be much further along than those who can't.
5. Harsh punishment for dying.
6. Focus on raiding as the end game.
7. "Sandbox" style of game play.

The list could be pretty long depending on what you want pick out as features of the game but it also depends on what era of EQ. Also things like instancing were a part of EQ before the release of WoW so again depending on the era we are talking about that could be one of the things considered.

Was WoW an EQ clone? There are a number of shared similarities between the two games but also some pretty big differences that cause me to feel uncomfortable in saying it was an EQ clone.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, WoW was a lot closer to EQ when it first came out. I know you leveled up individual skills...did you have to eat/drink too? The spell system was similar in how you got new ones every few levels. I remember it being a lot easier to level than EQ and that I thought they implemented tradeskills a lot better. I wouldn't call it a clone, but after 11/12 years I think a lot of people forget that a lot of the original systems in WoW were based off of EQ.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
4. Time = Power. Players who have the ability to spend more time in game tend to be much further along than those who can't.
I look at EQ and WOW as being on the extreme opposite ends of the spectrum, and honestly I think they both sucked for it. My biggest gripe with EQ was new players having to grind thousands of AA just to get good groups (class depending), but the only people who got good AA/hour were people with relatively high AA. It got so bad that they had to change the AA XP scaling, and now you can push a Heroic char instantly to 85 and ~+4k AA. WOW can get fucked though...yeah, new players can 'catch up' relatively speaking, but Blizzard screwed the pooch once expacs started making all your gear and accomplishments largely obsolete.

Was WoW an EQ clone? There are a number of shared similarities between the two games but also some pretty big differences that cause me to feel uncomfortable in saying it was an EQ clone.
I'd actually argue that WOW has strong elements of #1, 2 and 6. For 3, I'd say is also probably era dependent for WOW. People look at being able to solo to max level or having a ton of "collect bear asses" quests in open world zones, and think that WOW doesn't have a lot of group-based content. I spent way more time grouping and raiding in early WOW than I ever did questing or soloing.

I think for a Mmorpg to be an EQ clone, it needs the following...

Mob manipulation:
1. Pulling
2. Splitting
3. Mezzing
4. Charming
5. Snaring
6. Fearing
7. Rooting
8. Agro radius reduction

World:
1. Open world content
2. Dungeons with many camps with respawn timers So you can clear a camp and then pull it single as they spawn from then on out
3. Rare mobs that drop rare loot
4. Raid content with raid loot that isn't obsolete instantly when the next expansion comes out

Characters:
1. Many different races with racial benefits
2. Many varied factions that can be raised and lowered to be accepted or hated
4. Leveling mainly from killing mobs
5. Alternate Advancement system that further grows the classes primary and secondary abilities/roles
6. Buffs that are very powerful and last a very long time unless you die
7. DoTs that last longer than 10 seconds
8. Debuffs that are meaningful and can turn the tide of combat greatly
9. Pets that are MUCH MORE than just a visual Dot
10. Pets that cam be buffed, given equipment to use, and utilized as tanks and/or dps
11. Feign Death
12. Sow
13. Invis
14. Invis versus undead

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The top 7 "Everquest for modern times elements":

1) Majority of meaningful content is group-based (you can solo stuff, but that gives you 10% of what's useful and wanted in the game)
2) Combat is strategy-based (not tactic as in which key I use, but strategy as in what do I fight, in which order, what to watch for)
3) Groups require or benefit from a multiplicity of roles filled (tank, heal, debuff, cc, etc...)
4) A flatter power curve; mobs 5 levels below you are still a significant challenge and could be a worthwhile target, mobs 5 levels above you aren't a death sentence
5) A flatter power curve; gear doesn't inflated by a factor of 2 every year
6) A PvE core that is not affected by PvP
7) A free-form game with very little rails (quests are heavily lore-based, long, and rare)

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Wow was the result of what some didnt like in EQ.

Those that hated Twinks, lack of quests, sucked at CC, multi-mob kiting, long camping, working for gear (Able to remember great items lasting for many lvl or end game), able to kill way over mob lvl unless you were X class, crafting system, money making auction and NPC shopping ability, long fights and exp gains (Creates social building).

Result, no kiting (Means no pulling/spilting now), no hand-me-downs, more questing, gear flooding upgrades (Noone remembers name of anything), static gear drops, limited over-lvl killing, No drops and lvl limited gear (no more long term items), joke of crafting system, limited money making AH with no NPC shopping ability, fast fights and exp gains (Which losses social building).

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Wow was the result of what some didnt like in EQ.

Those that hated Twinks, lack of quests, sucked at CC, multi-mob kiting, long camping, working for gear (Able to remember great items lasting for many lvl or end game), able to kill way over mob lvl unless you were X class, crafting system, money making auction and NPC shopping ability, long fights and exp gains (Creates social building).

Result, no kiting (Means no pulling/spilting now), no hand-me-downs, more questing, gear flooding upgrades (Noone remembers name of anything), static gear drops, limited over-lvl killing, No drops and lvl limited gear (no more long term items), joke of crafting system, limited money making AH with no NPC shopping ability, fast fights and exp gains (Which losses social building).
WOW had a lot of that at various times in it's life.

BG twinks were a thing for a long time. And now you can twink alts with heirloom stuff which isn't exactly the same, but you still feel overpowered.
WOW had and still has long camping for rare mounts and shit.
Working for gear is still there I think, at least for BiS. It's just that most people don't give a fuck and the easy shit is just OK for them. But the EQ version of working for gear was there at some point in the early days.
You don't have NPC shopping, but you can make money on the AH just like any game.

WOW has kiting, pulling, splitting. You had to do that in the TBC/Vanilla Dungeons and still do that in a lot of the raids.

In any case, people like different games, it's an old argument.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't think Dr. Neir ever played WoW, and instead read about it while playing emulated EQ servers or something.

Because outside of hand-me-downs (EQ became largely no-drop during velious/luclin) which more or less disappeared as time went on in EQ anyway, literally every single thing he mentioned occurred in WoW during the first four years. WoW was 100% "EQ+1" from the get-go. Except it allowed people to tackle endgame content without having a timezone/strict playtime advantage, hence all those "World first!" articles for literally a decade.

Also anyone referencing EQ's crafting system clearly wasn't a crafter. That system was absolute dogshit up through at -least- DoDh.

But, eye of the beholder and all that. It's just a very, very wrong version of what the EQ->WoW transition was.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think Dr. Neir ever played WoW, and instead read about it while playing emulated EQ servers or something.
That's par for the average complaint. WoW changed just like EQ changed. Most people want the first two years max of the EQ timeframe. WoW was a better EQ for a solid amount of time. They didn't have to throw out 2-3 expansions a year to fix some bugs and make a shit ton more. Or to rip their playerbase off while not listening to complaints or fixing hardly anything. EQ was run by SOE so it was an inferior product by default.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

Mob manipulation:
1. Pulling
2. Splitting
3. Mezzing
4. Charming
5. Snaring
6. Fearing
7. Rooting
8. Agro radius reduction

World:
1. Open world content
2. Dungeons with many camps with respawn timers So you can clear a camp and then pull it single as they spawn from then on out
3. Rare mobs that drop rare loot
4. Raid content with raid loot that isn't obsolete instantly when the next expansion comes out

Characters:
1. Many different races with racial benefits
2. Many varied factions that can be raised and lowered to be accepted or hated
4. Leveling mainly from killing mobs
5. Alternate Advancement system that further grows the classes primary and secondary abilities/roles
6. Buffs that are very powerful and last a very long time unless you die
7. DoTs that last longer than 10 seconds
8. Debuffs that are meaningful and can turn the tide of combat greatly
9. Pets that are MUCH MORE than just a visual Dot
10. Pets that cam be buffed, given equipment to use, and utilized as tanks and/or dps
11. Feign Death
12. Sow
13. Invis
14. Invis versus undead
Sounds like you just described FFXI more or less. Closest thing to a EQ clone I've seen.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like you just described FFXI more or less. Closest thing to a EQ clone I've seen.
When your UI is so bad that it makes everquest's look like a functional masterpiece... No, FFXI could have been good, but UI man, that fucking UI.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Just started typing up a paragraph on how ac2 was an eq1 clone, but the more i wrote the more i realized that Microsoft was just doing to eq what blizzard did when they made wow. Nearly everything that separated wow from eq, ac2 did first. "concentrated coolness" ie small number of unique classes, talent tree and all, instanced group dungeon runs, etc. Ac2 had a bit more eq to it, grouped grinding to level not really any quests. But the world was a carbon copy of eq fron velious era. Human continent with normal fantasy mobs, jungle continent with lizard people (playable race) at war with a snake people race, ice continent where the Giants (playable race)were from at war with dwarves and dragons, etc.

But as far as game systems, really wow was an ac2 clone, just polished and complete.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
When your UI is so bad that it makes everquest's look like a functional masterpiece... No, FFXI could have been good, but UI man, that fucking UI.
I haven't played since the relauch, but at real launch (which i was SO HYPE) it would take 5 seconds to perform a command, no thank you.