EQ Never

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
You say that now maybe, but what about 3 years from now, or 5 years? Consoles have what a 7 year life span it seems? A mid range PC(~$1k) is better then the ps4 right now, probably even be able to do it for less. I can't imagine what it will be like in just 2-3 years.
The most expensive, current PC hardware will always trump a console. That's inarguable. However, hardware is only half the story when it comes to graphical power and performance. Look at games released early in the console generation versus games released recently. You will see a significant difference in detailed lighting, shadows, and objects on screen. The hardware didn't change, but the developers experience and knowledge of the hardware did, and they adapted their code accordingly.

I'm not sure how else to say it. Consoles are capable of providing superior graphics and performance than equally priced PCs and engine development is much simpler so the cost of making an engine is greatly reduced. All of these factors weigh heavily on the decision to produce cross-platform titles (and that's why we don't see them half as often as we PC gamers would like).

rolx_sl

shitlord
The only things that worry me so far about this game is all the soe emote shit type of stuff. I don't give a fuck about seeing a rats mouth move when someone is talking on their mic. How long did that take to develop and implement ? How much time are they wasting on this shit when that time could be going into game depth, epic quests, better dunegons, combat ect. I'm afraid they are trying to come up with too much random shit like this to make it so "next gen" to get the oh that's coo from gaming sites. MEH make this game fun POR FAVOR stop wasting time on the "cool" stuff. Also praying there is NO dailies!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What are the odds this is going to be first person? Since it's using the PS2 engine I would think that chances are very good that it will. I miss the atmosphere that a first person perspective can provide in a MMO. Starting to get more excited for this.

Kegz_sl

shitlord
What are the odds this is going to be first person? Since it's using the PS2 engine I would think that chances are very good that it will. I miss the atmosphere that a first person perspective can provide in a MMO. Starting to get more excited for this.
Could not agree more, first person really made EQ great back in the day when you had to actually turn around to see whats hitting you, until you found the F9 key.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As long as there is a equal 3rd person camera , fine with me. Give choices, since me personally I hate first person(expect in shooters) but others may like it, so why not have both.

Spynx_sl

shitlord
As long as there is a equal 3rd person camera , fine with me. Give choices, since me personally I hate first person(expect in shooters) but others may like it, so why not have both.
I personally am torn between the two. I don't believe you can have the quick response times in 1st person that are required in high level raiding. The flip side to that is watching my character enter a dungeon from 3rd person only to have the camera tweak out when the view is blocked flat out sucks the cock. Immersion is always going to be a better experience looking through the eyes of your toon.

kudos

<Banned>
Bringing EQ:N to the PS4 would be the greatest thing ever. I can't fucking understand WHY people want a game that forces you to have to scour the fucking internet for UI mods. Give me everything I may need by default and develop around that. Good enough. It worked for EQ1 and it can work for EQ:N.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Considering EQ has them(and has had them for a long ass time) and I think EQ2 has them I don't see that happening. Though the mods are for the most part all cosmetic and parsers(meters) are more software running in the back and you paste in results(and don't kid yourself, parsers were running all the way back to at least velious(first expac I did serious raiding).

kudos

<Banned>
Considering EQ has them(and has had them for a long ass time) and I think EQ2 has them I don't see that happening. Though the mods are for the most part all cosmetic and parsers(meters) are more software running in the back and you paste in results(and don't kid yourself, parsers were running all the way back to at least velious(first expac I did serious raiding).
EQ had visual UI mods like dmg meters and threat meters during Kunark, Velious, and SoL? Fuck I never knew.

Or are you talking about third party applications that were run out of the game? If that is what you mean then who gives a fuck. They didn't develop around that type of shit and fuck WoW for doing that.

I always thought of people who used cosmetic UI tweaks as being kind of like little girls who weren't satisfied with their doll's long hair and she just HAD to get a makeoverrr! In other words, unless it's completely ugly or uses too much of the screen or something, then people should stfu and play.

But whatever, I can live with people giving their UI's makeovers if they have to. It's the addons that give extra info or do extra things, are just not acceptable.

kudos

<Banned>
Exactly. I want to be able to load up my PS4 with EQ:N and know that every other player is seeing the exact same shit I am.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
EQ had visual UI mods like dmg meters and threat meters during Kunark, Velious, and SoL? Fuck I never knew.

Or are you talking about third party applications that were run out of the game? If that is what you mean then who gives a fuck. They didn't develop around that type of shit and fuck WoW for doing that.
Going to have to agree that one of the worst things I remember from Vanilla wow (and a big reason why I quit back then) - what was that mod you had to have for molten core? decursive? I assume it just got worse after but never checked. I'm actually okay with a locked down UI. Didn't bother me in DCUO. Wouldn't bother me in EQN. I'm more concerned about having to stare at a giant gold STATION CASH button in the middle of my screen, assuming the game is okay (we'll see in August :|) I just want an option to avoid all the microtransaction/ftp bullshit.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Could not agree more, first person really made EQ great back in the day when you had to actually turn around to see whats hitting you, until you found the F9 key.
To this day I can't play EQ in 3rd Person. Feels too disconnected. Scroll camera in and out quickly to check for enemies/area effects, but other than that stuck in first person.

I'm more concerned about having to stare at a giant gold STATION CASH button
Yeah that's quite a concern. In Vanguard there is a huge gold BECOME A MEMBER button right in the middle of the screen at the top. It's so obnoxious. You can tweak that though luckily (no doubt an oversight) but there is also a cash shop icon as well which is there to stay.

But this makes me think of the F2P concept on the whole. I look at stuff like Rift and they show how it can be done well. You can buy lots of stuff with real cash, and it does cross the line a bit in to p2w on occasion. But in general, it's mostly just paying to get things a bit sooner or easier than you can get them otherwise. Yeah, not a perfect world like the good ole days. But I'll take that over SOE's current F2P methods in Vanguard, which is to just fill the whole fucking game with completely obscene uber items that you buy with real cash. It's like they said, HOW CAN WE MAKE THIS PAY TO WIN?! And they just shoe horned in a shop and filled it with uber gear and fast mounts and all kinds of over powered shit, and put massive real cash price tags on everything. What a bunch of bastards.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

What exactly is the difference if someone is running a parser outside the game and paste it into the game so everyone sees it, compared to anyone who has it installed seeing it? The former is going to happen if your game does not have the ability for the latter, so it really makes no difference at all.

Also the latest expansion gave EQ a in game threat meter/gauge. They also just patched in a /useitem macro system. Not to mention audio triggers with self made .wav files. I can easily seem them porting these things over.

Exactly. I want to be able to load up my PS4 with EQ:N and know that every other player is seeing the exact same shit I am.
Just wow at being upset that someone might have a different looking UI that you do :p Are you going to rage kudos that your UI is brown and someone else's might be yellow with little graphics and aesthetics all over?

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't think there were any ui mods available 'till the newest iteration of the interface went live or at least I don't remember it being brought up till well into luclin. Even then, most of them were cosmetic and damage parsers were used more to get a handle on raid mobs dps output and how often they used certain abilities. At least that's how i remember it. And yeah I never liked any sort of add on that made it feel like it was playing the game for me. This latest tid bit of EQN info has piqued my interest. I had all but given up on real massive multiplayer games completely.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
What exactly is the difference if someone is running a parser outside the game and paste it into the game so everyone sees it, compared to anyone who has it installed seeing it? The former is going to happen if your game does not have the ability for the latter, so it really makes no difference at all.

Also the latest expansion gave EQ a in game threat meter/gauge. They also just patched in a /useitem macro system. Not to mention audio triggers with self made .wav files. I can easily seem them porting these things over.

Just wow at being upset that someone might have a different looking UI that you do :p Are you going to rage kudos that your UI is brown and someone else's might be yellow with little graphics and aesthetics all over?
Think hes more upset about them gaining an advantage due to tweaking their UI, i know in WoW having shit like enemy cast bars before it became the standard, gave me a pretty big advantage in pvp.

Urgh. Parsers should be banned too. And if anyone asks for a parser in game, it should automatically forward them to a webpage that is filled with viruses and malware that formats their computer and sets it on fire.

The problem with dick head gamers today (one of many), is that they think MMO's are all about TEH DEEPS! Dps is for simple minded fucks who want to strive to achieve a number, because it's an easily achievable objective. The fact that there is (or should be) far more to being a spell casting class would blow their tiny minds. It pisses me off because EQ is this shitty old relic from the last century, and yet it's still a league above everything people play today. Wizard and mages and necros and stuff, they didn't give a shit about their DPS. Being a good caster was about far more important things - like actually being a valuable member of the group. Managing aggro, managing their mana, stopping runners, killing mobs that were attacking the healer or something, helping with crowd control by casting root on mobs that were too much for the group to handle, etc..etc..

Nowadays little dude bro timmy wants to ROLL A LEET DEEPS TOON so he can pwn stuff and not have to think about tanking or have the responsibility about healing. Then the first thing he does when he gets in the shoes of his warlock or whatever, is harass people in game or google for a guide on how to make teh leetest dps, and then they dance dance revolution their fingers to victory.

As far as I'm concerned, if one of EQ Next's main design goals, isn't to totally humiliate and overwhelm little timmy, then I don't even want to play it anyway. I want mobs coming out the walls, spiders coming out cracks in cement or whatever, people falling in traps, all kinds of mayhem and mischief going on, ALL THE TIME. And little timmy is going to have to up his fucking game for once and learn how to think, or go back to WoW.