EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Has anyone ever played the dungeon called Grey Stone in Vanguard? I did it tonight for the first time in years and my god, its the most boring thing I have ever done in an MMO. Im not sure if its because they went f2p and dumbed everything down or what, but even 5 dot mobs were dying in 2 seconds flat. It was horrible I couldnt wait to leave. I hope to hell EQ Next is not like that.
frown.png
Yes. I'm as big a fan of original Beta 4 to APW-release Vanguard as anyone, but for every Karrus Hakrel there was a Greystone. Generally, I felt Thestra was the worst of the three continents.

Anyway, EQN will be like that - there's a mix of talents making the game so even if somethings are good, other things will be mediocre or just plain bad.

Quaid

Trump's Staff

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
Dargons Tomb and Tomb of lord Tsang were two of my favorite dungeons in Vanguard. Greystone was big and fairly boring but I was the only one in my guild crazy enough to flop my disciple to the bottom of it solo to summon everyone down to turn in those skeleton illusion items so I grew to dislike it even more than most.

althuna_sl

shitlord
For me its not so much the layout and way it looks (although that is pretty dull too), but it's just the way it plays. It seems at this level, everyone is on godmode. The tank was pulling almost entire rooms and barely even needed healing, and it was just about zapping down enemies constantly over and over and over. I literally hated it and i've never felt like that before. Even in games like WoW and Rift, the dungeons I found to be repetitive and easy too, but at least they had occasional big bosses that required some strategies and kind of broke things up a bit. But in Vanguard its just a huge place with 1000 mobs waiting to die in seconds and nothing fun ever happens. I only went back recently but i cant be bothered grinding through the later 40's now. I think im gonna try DDO or LOTRO or something else. Maybe find an EQ emulator.

Not sure i have the motivation to make all those levels but i would love to see something like sebilis again and see how it compares to boring ass Grey Stone.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
DDO was very different. I've played F2P Lotro and I didn't find it that horrible but maybe it is. DDO's cashshop was amazing.
/agree it really started the whole f2p thing... DDO bounced back amazingly and the model for DDO is really well done..

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Dargons Tomb and Tomb of lord Tsang were two of my favorite dungeons in Vanguard. Greystone was big and fairly boring but I was the only one in my guild crazy enough to flop my disciple to the bottom of it solo to summon everyone down to turn in those skeleton illusion items so I grew to dislike it even more than most.
Vol Tuniel / Thel and darguns 2 my favs.. ya and APW was kick ass.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I'd be absolutely shocked if the worldwide population was any less than 100 million people.
No way. WoW subs are 8.x million and falling and that was the most popular MMO ever (barring some China only game noone outside of there ever heard of).

If anything MMO gamers are a dying breed. Many moved on to MOBAs others to other things. I know a number of WoW players who having left WoW have no plans to ever try another MMO again. They felt they invested too much time for too little reward.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty much my opinion. I would imagine many of those ex-wow players are in F2P games atm, as after you realize what you really are paying for with a sub, it is hard to justify continuing to pay for subs. And WoW may have the highest production values (along with FFXIV, unless beta is wholly unrepresentative of the release version) but it is exactly the same game it has been for years, with months of blank spots in content development between major "patches" which requires your sub in between to continue playing during those blank spots. The market is much larger even today than it was during Wrath and the height of the WoW subs. They gotta be somewhere in the gamespace... just not in WoW.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No way. WoW subs are 8.x million and falling and that was the most popular MMO ever (barring some China only game noone outside of there ever heard of).

If anything MMO gamers are a dying breed. Many moved on to MOBAs others to other things. I know a number of WoW players who having left WoW have no plans to ever try another MMO again. They felt they invested too much time for too little reward.
WoW subs are 8 million current subscribers, not unique subscriptions ever.

Skinner

Trakanon Raider
He also noted that most didn't understand basic game mechanics such as the run button, or that coins are to be collected and aren't enemies, or the concept of a bottomless pit. About 70% died at the first enemy, and half of those died at that same spot twice.

Participants said that they wanted the game to be easier, and that Mario should perhaps start the game with a sword or a gun. Some didn't even realize that Super Mario Bros was an actual vintage game.
LOL I really don't know what to say. Definitely not surprised but I didn't think it wasthisbad.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I wouldn't say they are dying, they just aren't concentrated in a single game anymore.
Nah. They're leaving for non-MMOs: MOBAs, console games, etc. Or non-MMORPG MMOs like World of Tanks. I should have specified that I meant MMORPGs. Mea culpa. I think FTP cuts the heart out of RPGing, takes out the world and slams in a game. I've played years of sub games (including 4 to 5 months of LOTR when it was a sub despite the lousy combat) but never lasted more than a few weeks at a FTP game (including FTP Vanguard). Well I guess there's always EQMac ;-)

DMK_sl

shitlord
The future of MMO's is games like Destiny The Division etc. Where the lines are blurred between single player and Multiplayer. Plain and simple. It gives the developer more flexibility to execute specific mechanics for specific demographics.

"I want to enjoy a great single player story" goes and does the story alone
"I want to play in a big open environment with heaps of people" goes to the open zones.

All of this without any real break in immersion.