EQ Never

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Armor dyes? What could be bad about that?

rrr_img_37178.gif

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Aren't most of those colors available on standard armor anyway? The pink hat and that shade of purple boots are the only thing that don't resemble an in-game item's true RGB value. All the purples were some pastel shit like valorium.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Some either copied the high-end class armor colors to stroke their epeen, but others went for the rainbow atrocities like Nirgon posted. Hell, in Darkwind we had an ogre warrior go for full hot pink.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Assuming they go with something EVE-esque with crafted loot being the standard, then I see no real reason not to include dyes. Sure, you can create technicolor horrors with it, but you can also to that without dyes if you find the right gear.

If crafted is the standard, they could then make it so that the rarer looted magic items have unique models and can't be dyed, so that they have distinctive looks

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
We used to force recruits to dye hot pink during recruitment. That said, I always liked the pre-dye armors and recognizing what someone was wearing and where they had been.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Assuming they go with something EVE-esque
I'm pretty sure EQN will be EVElike in that there will be PvP areas where the PvP is primarily over the control of resources but it is not EVEesque in that PvE will remain a huge element of the game (which I gather it isn't in EVE). People are forgetting that Storybricks isn't just about dynamic quests but is also about dynamic AI generally.

1. Mobs will contest for resources (I gather there are pirates in EVE) and will occupy and grow if not forced out.

2. Mob locations will be dynamic. Camping may not be an option in EQ. While there may be some standard spawns for raid targets, I expect a large number of dynamic caves and dungeons. You clear a dungeon of orcs and the orcs do not respawn, instead other mob AI will take over the dungeon when adventurers are out (dead frogs, ogres, slimemolds, whatever). This means of course there will be a lot of dynamically spawning loot instead of the usual EQ standard loot and also explains the emphasis on crafted gear.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I liked my hot pink and purple dye. But nothing on a pvp server is more emasculating than getting rolled by a giant pink paladin with a flaming sword.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What, Everlore.com doesn't have anything on it?

http://web.archive.org/web/199905081....everlore.com/

/flashes back to 1999!!!
//used to live on this site at work when I could
///boss thought it said everlove, thought it was a dating site :p
I miss these sites... even the look of them bring back memories.. Before everything was Wordpress and Joomla, fansites had their own look. I hope EQNext bring back the need for informative sites. Who knows, maybe guild sites and forums will make a comeback too.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Eve is doing well, it isnt due to PVP but lack of other games like it. EVE in current state of things is comparable to EQ in its golden era time, limited competition. The closest game I semi remember but didnt have the chance to play was Earth and Beyond.

They would increase their subs if they would simply cater more towards PVE players vs PVP. Some reason they think 0.0 is the golden lands players need to be in to fuel the pvp pirating player base they seem to love.
This post is flat out wrong on so many levels it's not even really worth refuting. luckily someone else already did.

EaB was Everquest in Space. It was more like an MMO freelancer but not nearly as in depth. it bombed horribly because nobody was interested in a PVE spaceship game.

Eve is UO (pre-tramiel) in Space.

The games are nothing alike beyond being in space. which is like saying Everquest is like COD because they take place on the ground. Keep in mind a good majority of Eve players give 2 shits about the setting. It's the mechanics they play for, open world sandbox pvp. Most of them would prefer Elves and Magic and dragons and shit, there just isn't a game that exists yet that caters to that.

Eve's pve was always atrocious, and the lulls in player activity surrounding PVE focused expansions directly counter your silly assumption that they would garner more subs focusing more on PVE. The most successful expansions are the ones that add new ships or rebalance existing ships which change the pvp meta and makes pvp more fun/exciting/different, expansions that focus directly on improving 0.0/nullsec pvp mechanics, or that add or change mechanics that add more conflict/make more areas of the world "hostile" or harsh and pvp friendly like low sec/faction warfare/etc.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
EaB was Everquest in Space. It was more like an MMO freelancer but not nearly as in depth. it bombed horribly because nobody was interested in a PVE spaceship game.
As someone who subscribed to and played the shit out of E&B, you're way off base. E&B was an evolution on EQ, so you're kinda right with that. However, it wasn't some little game that bombed. It had a very healthy playerbase up to the point that EA decided to shut down the servers. What happened to E&B is the same thing that's happened to dozens of studios EA acquired; they buy them up, move their talent to other projects, then kill the studio and shut down their games.

You can stillplay E&B on an emulatortoday. It's almost identical to the original game, the only major difference is that they added a lot of the content that was locked (or unfinished) on the original release (which was intended to be part of the first expansion that never came to be). The gameplay and systems were very EQ-like, and it was before WoW, so the "give the customer everything" mentality hadn't penetrated the market yet. It was a tough game, had a harsh death penalty, and wasn't something you could play for a month and reach max level. It was a solid game, but obviously not for everyone.

As for "nobody" being interested in a PvE spaceship game, that's just garbage. The fact is, Blizzard made WoW into the Honda Accord of online role-playing games, so all their competitors are trying to copy that successful formula right down to the nuts and bolts, and players don't want to play the same fucking game with a different skin. Until the investors start to realize this, they'll keep pumping cash into studios that put out the overhyped bombs we've been seeing for the last decade.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
E&B had 40k players at it's peak. I was one of them. I was also one of the 42k players that played AC2, so I know a thing or two about what is and is not a "healthy playerbase" in bad games, and E&B is one of those games that totally bombed and was shut down. That is literally the definition of bombing, btw, selling so few boxes/maintaining so few subs that they game is shut down before it ever has a chance to recoop it's costs. If the game's playerbase was "healthy" enough (ie profitable) than they would have kept the game running with minimal dev support until it paid back it's costs. They didn't, as it wasn't. It didn't have enough players to support a skeleton dev crew of interns (seeing as you believe all of the "talent" was cannibalized by EA for other projects) and thus it was shut down.

This was not an attack on E&B, no idea why everyone feels the need to whiteknight anything said about a game they happened to have liked certain features of. Personally I loved the potential that AC2 had, it had some of the most innovative things in MMOs at the time. But it was launched with 40% of the world complete at best and like 0 NPCs populated other than mobs. It bombed too, and we wouldn't see the really cool way they did talent trees/progression/group dungeon instancing/etc again until blizzard copy/pasted it directly into WoW which was heralded as new and refreshing and amazing at the time.

This was a reply to someone who never played either Eve or E&B making some ridiculous claim that one was the only game that could compare to the other and that Eve would have more subs if it were more focused on PVE like E&B. Literally an indefensible statement contradicted by all facts available. #1 being one of these games was shut down from lack of players within it's first year and the other is one of the longest running, most successful subscription MMOs in the western hemisphere.

E&B was an evolution of EQ1. If you liked EQ, and if you liked sci-fi/space, you probably would have liked E&B. Not nearly enough people did, which is why it no longer exists.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
As for "nobody" being interested in a PvE spaceship game, that's just garbage. The fact is, Blizzard made WoW into the Honda Accord of online role-playing games, so all their competitors are trying to copy that successful formula right down to the nuts and bolts, and players don't want to play the same fucking game with a different skin. Until the investors start to realize this, they'll keep pumping cash into studios that put out the overhyped bombs we've been seeing for the last decade.
I would love a PvE spaceship game. I used to play the wing commander games co-op with a friend when I was a kid. One of us used a joystick to stear the ship and the other used the keyboard to fire and use the different skills. Was fun.

I always thought the Firefly universe would be great for a MMO. Now they are finally making one. The way the investors think it should be. Developed as a tablet social network game from developers with experience in games similar to angry birds and not mmos. The people behind FOX are so stupid it hurts to think about it. But undoubtedly the cost associated with it will be much easier to regain this way.

MMOs today are designed to fit the current meaning of "growth" that we read about in economic news. However, growth today is nothing but moneytary growth, not growth as in increased amount of products or better ones. FOX spend 5 million to make a shit game for tablets that sell due to the name alone. Earn 10 million and get a 100% increase in growth for their game, even if it ends up killing a franchise or product.

Almost gotten to the point now where bankers are the ones that OK how games are made today, not the actual developers or original owners of the IP. Our real world economy is ruined because of their greed. Our games are next. Just as there were enough stupid people to get loans they could never afford which enabled the banks to create the sub prime, there will be enough stupid people who want the Iwin button for their tablet they borrowed money to buy.

Time is money, and money is growth. The use of time and money is required to make a good mmo. Good mmos are not compatible with the current economic market. In real life, the risk is very high in creating a mmo. Lots of devs got funding for it earlier, but as they failed (as in, every mmo has most likely pitched the "we will be the next wow!" to their financial backers), it has become obvious that the reward is not as easily obtainable as they thought. IE: Star wars mmo? That will make billions from the name alone!!.

Know how Blizzard has/had this rep of games not being released until they were ready? I remember when all games were like that. Could read PC gamer in the 90s and the launch titles would go from coming soon to release nearly instantly. This was when gaming was not as mainstream and popular as today. Game studios were more like the second stages of the Game Developer game released not so long ago. Small teams that worked on tons of different types of games. Genres seemed to be born every other minute.

Then the industry took off, and suddenly now you have expected launch dates almost as soon as the game is greenlit to go into development. This because games now feature financial backers with no care at all about anything but their monetary growth. If the game can sell enough to be profitabe while only being 60% complete with enough marketing, even if it might kill the franchise, studio behind it and ruin the reputation of the developers, the game will go out. The "trash the game" option which is in the Game Developer game is only used if the money required for the time invested exceeds the projected market report profits. Even if it was the Mona Lisa of games that was due to be released that might give the studio and developers lots of goodwill.

Today we have sequels, trilogies, 4, 5, 6..... Then along with those, there are the dozens of similar games copying what is popular at the time. The developers around the world are people just like you and me. They too can see saturation of certain elements in the market. Oh another Zombie game? Neat.... They do have better ideas. But their ideas mean nothing at all compared to a market analysis. And to bring this back to mmos and EQN, I guarantee the current market analysis points towards easier, more accessible games preferably with ties to social networking. Instead of /gems you will get /facebook or /tweet. /tweet Zomg totally pug raiding Ralloz now! #BoW #ninja #trololol

Link below to multiple pictures as one is not enough.

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/anger%20gif

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
This because games now feature financial backers with no care at all about anything but their monetary growth.
No. It's because of risk management. Today, WoW has become the"To save the cat"of MMO space: a type of game that appears to work (10 million subs can't be wrong), and thus, must be faithfully copied to minimize risk.

Up to 2005 (coincidence?) when that book came around, you had all kind of summer blockbusters. But then, Snyder came and told everyone how to write blockbuster scripts. Down to the number of the page where each of the "beat" in the story should begin. And it got applied by every scripwriter, because that worked, and then, suddendly, no one was trying to depart from the one true way of making a summer blockbuster. Executives had read it so they knew what scripts looked like (movie execs don't know anything about movies), and if the script didn't had all that, it was "bad". One good way of making movies has become the one way of making movies.

And that's how it works in the MMO blockbuster arena. No one is willing to invest in a triple-A MMO that doesn't follow the one true way.

Marple_sl

shitlord
Itzena just shut he fuck up, faggot. Go back to the dying part of the forum also known as the WoW thread.
Hmm, if I'm not mistaken Itzena used to be a old school EQ player from the VZ server. I don't know what your anger issues are kudos the angry fanboy, but Itzena is right, outside SOE nobody knows shit.

Aren't most of those colors available on standard armor anyway? The pink hat and that shade of purple boots are the only thing that don't resemble an in-game item's true RGB value. All the purples were some pastel shit like valorium.
golden efreeti bracer
rubicite bp
bronze vambraces
valorium pants

fake gaunts, boots & helm

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
it bombed horribly because nobody was interested in a PVE spaceship game.
I agree with much of the rest of your post but this is false. Star Trek Online is doing very well.

E&B was an evolution of EQ1. If you liked EQ, and if you liked sci-fi/space, you probably would have liked E&B. Not nearly enough people did, which is why it no longer exists.
EaB was interesting but had very short term appeal for me. And I loved EQ. Forgot all the reasons I gave up on the game, it's been a long time. But I do remember getting bored with it fairly quickly. Cancelled my sub even before EvE was released. It wasn't the fact that it was similar to EQ in mechanics that killed it, it just wasn't done very well.