EQ Never

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's another interesting one:

"Are abilities tied to weapon types or the weapons themselves? Or is it a mixture of both?"

"It's a combination. In the classes panel, we talked about the fact that certain items will convey certain effects to what the character is doing." Michael says.

"Passive or active?" Terrier. I was probably a terrier in my previous life.

"Passive. And in that way, one sword can create a different situation than another sword would for the same class for the same ability. So, there will be reasons to collect more than one of a weapon type. But the weapon abilities are not tied to a specific weapon. They are tied to a specific weapon type."
I think they sort of touched on this during the panels, talking about the difference between a Dwarven Long Sword and a Qeynosian Long Sword - but I didn't really understand their point it at the time. This is pretty cool.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely not. Warhammer was rocking that style of Orc loooooong before even the earliest Warcraft Orcs (which was long before WoW for the mmorpg.com scrubs we now have in the house)
The original warcraft was supposed to be a Warhammer game.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Sure. I bet if you ask him (or the EQN guys) on twitter you will get a different answer.
Eh if they are trying this I'm sure it's the "cider" style port. As in emulated in a wrapper and not the true WoW style OS X client which runs much better but takes far more work/resources.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Confirmed that all the underground isn't just phased off world for each player and group?
They said this at SOELive. It just resets with an earthquake every so often.

@Quaid. Tiering up does not give you abilities. Finiding abilities out "in the wild" is one of the things you need to do to tier up.

@Lenas. I get the AA aspect - I'm accumulating AA I can spend it anyway I want on any class I own - we'll see in beta.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sweet mother of god... If they deliver on half the shit they are spewing I am gonna spend more time TheoryQuesting than I do playing the actual game.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
@Quaid. Tiering up does not give you abilities. Finiding abilities out "in the wild" is one of the things you need to do to tier up
Effectively the same thing. Unlocking a class doesn't unlock all that class' abilities, they must be earned via further gameplay.

Edit: which is what makes me think classes will be for sale.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

I think they sort of touched on this during the panels, talking about the difference between a Dwarven Long Sword and a Qeynosian Long Sword - but I didn't really understand their point it at the time. This is pretty cool.
You see the opportunities for cosmetics immediately right?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If she doesn't like fat and ogres and trolls, why does she look like one?
Fuckin' derp, she designed the original fat ogres.

@Rosierap_sl said:
@JButlerSOE for the record I made the original #fatOgres and I do still love them! I'm trying to stimulate lively discussion #backfireonme
smile.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor

Honestly, this SOUNDS like all long-swords will have "Super Slice" (Whatever) when wielded by a warrior. But maybe Dwarven Long swords will give Super Slice +5% Critical chance, while Elven Long swords will give it -5% cost, or +10% swipe radius (ect)

They mentioned material components in armor would essentially do the same thing. So, if my chest piece has 10 slots, and I have a build centered around lightning, I could slot in 3 "copper flux capacitors" and in a dwarven chest plate they might increase damage of lightning by X% while in an elven, they might reduce cost--but essentially the "copper" would affect lightning in some way, and which way depends on the armor type and the amount you put into the chest.

Dunno if I interpreted that right, but it's what I got out of it (That pieces of armor will be like adding enchantment cards to a magic deck, and the armor itself will kind of be the "color" of the deck, dictating what those enchantments do.) Which makes some really cool crafting possibilities. If the "whole" items come from PvE, and then crafters build the components, and each "pokemon" (class) requires their own armor, it could create a huge need for crafted items.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Honestly, this SOUNDS like all long-swords will have "Super Slice" (Whatever) when wielded by a warrior. But maybe Dwarven Long swords will give Super Swipe +5% Critical chance, while Elven Long swords will give it -5% cost, or +10% swipe radius (ect).
Got me. I read it both ways - Super Slice, 3 different ways (as you suggest) or a total set of 8 weapon abilities divided up between the three, so each has 2 unique and 2 common abilities.

misery_sl

shitlord
I don't see how strict Class/Race limits could work for what they're really going for. I mean, what if a class that's restricted for your race has A LOT of requirements? For example, say to get the Paladin class requires to get max tier Warrior and Cleric. Let's say that takes a lot of work, but you REALLY want to be a Paladin. But you're a Dark Elf. So you can't ever be one.

So now you have to make a new character and get max tier with Cleric and Warrior (again) just to unlock Paladin. I don't know, I don't think that really goes with their design very well.

It seems like it would be better to make the Dark Elf work really hard to have the Knights of Truth allow him to be a Paladin, compared to the effort it would take for a High Elf. However the High Elf would have the same struggle if he wanted to become a Shadow Knight. You want to talk about making character class identity matter? I think this is how.
I think this fits in well with their current philosophy, and I would greatly like to see this implemented instead of the run of the mill flat out class restrictions that have been somewhat rampant in recent games. I think you should be able to get a class that doesn't fit with your race through hard work and it would make for an awesome journey. Kinda like working the factions in EQ.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Have they discussed quests at all yet? I know they want to have big public quests, but are quest hubs in the game?

I honestly wouldn't mind doing super long quest chains for some amazing item or a statpoint or class at the end of the chain. It also gives that sense of progression in a way if you're into that.

misery_sl

shitlord
My bet is Barbarians will be just like the elves, "They're Humans, one race, different culture."
Please say it isn't so. I kinda like the idea of having a rallying call to create the barbarian race. Maybe build them out of voxels or something.
Also, as much as I call the Kerran character catoony, I greatly prefer them over the cat faced people of EQ2. Greatly.

booksy_sl

shitlord
I dont think people should waste their time trying to change things in this game like fat ogres and stuff. Because there would just be too much to change to make it anything like EQ.... Best to just let this game be what it is imo, and spend their efforts trying to convince some company to make a real EQ type game some time.

If a good team could take to kickstarter, they could make $20 million or more.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Have they discussed quests at all yet? I know they want to have big public quests, but are quest hubs in the game?

I honestly wouldn't mind doing super long quest chains for some amazing item or a statpoint or class at the end of the chain. It also gives that sense of progression in a way if you're into that.
No quest hubs.

First of all, we don't have the guy with the feather over his head. We just don't have that any more. As you journey through the world, you kind of need to keep your eye open. There will always be things that you see that make you go "I wonder why that's happening," and when you do that, you're going to want to go over there and find out what is going on. For instance, if you saw a little girl crying on the side of the street that might intrigue you, and you might ask her 'why,' and you might find out there is a quest opportunity available. Or you might be walking down a road and see a barn burning on a hill and there are Orcs chasing humans around. It is up to you what you do in that case, either save the humans or help the Orcs slaughter them. But the game is going to remember everything you did. It is as if everything in the world is keeping track of what you are doing. Essentially, everything in the world has a faction bar just for you.