EQ Never

ninjarr_sl

shitlord
Argh, damn this game for looking interesting and totally raping my childhood IP. Why did you have to base in it Norrath... why...

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Argh, damn this game for looking interesting and totally raping my childhood IP. Why did you have to base in it Norrath... why...
Honestly they should just change all the names related to EQ and EQ2 and just call it EQNext as its only link to other EQ games. Keeping those EQ and EQ2 names does more damage to all three games going forward then simply making a complete break with older lore and making it clear EQNext is a entirely new world. You can start using similar sounding names to old EQ ones Karana becomes Karanos and is the same basic God but the slight name shift makes it clear that lore behind the two maybe different.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
No one but a few super nerds gives any sort of fuck about comparing the old lore to the new lore.

Metzen shits all over the WoW lore constantly, and the only thing you can fault blizz for is that sometimes the stories are retardedly cheesy. If the new lore is good as a standalone 99.999% of people will be happy with it regardless of how relate-able it is to the old lore.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
rrr_img_49019.jpg

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
No one but a few super nerds gives any sort of fuck about comparing the old lore to the new lore.

Metzen shits all over the WoW lore constantly, and the only thing you can fault blizz for is that sometimes the stories are retardedly cheesy. If the new lore is good as a standalone 99.999% of people will be happy with it regardless of how relate-able it is to the old lore.
I think people are upset because of how much better the lore would be if the writers were the kind of nerds that gave even one fuck about making it consistent with the Norrath that we already know. If the writers are, right from the start, displaying an obvious attitude of "we don't care if this shit makes sense to you lol," then what reason do we have to think that expansion #3 is going to be anything other than dildos, let alone expansion #7?

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
That might happen, but I don't think you can say that if these writers don't give a fuck about the work of some other writers who wrote the norrath lore almost two decades ago that they won't care about keeping their own work solid.

That's why I say take their story as is, if it is good as a standalone story then you can tell the guys really care about their work and likely aren't just gonna shit on it in a year if they have any say in the matter.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think people are upset because of how much better the lore would be if the writers were the kind of nerds that gave even one fuck about making it consistent with the Norrath that we already know. If the writers are, right from the start, displaying an obvious attitude of "we don't care if this shit makes sense to you lol," then what reason do we have to think that expansion #3 is going to be anything other than dildos, let alone expansion #7?
First, let me say that I know those feels. Vanilla EQ's lore was mysterious and awesome and the fact that you had to dig and search for it so those who did really stood out as paragons of lore made it even more awesome.

**BUT**

Shit went down hill fast after PoP. They peaked way too early in EQ, I assume because they didn't plan on the game having so much longevity. The lore for like 15 of the 20 expansions involves shadow men and discordian agents. Recently they're doing something with fear or something but I've completely checked out of EQ lore. It's impossible to take seriously.

Rebooting wasn't their only option, but I believe it was their best. You could argue that we could've played in another era of norrath's history and not have to deal with the overwhelming influence of all the discord shit, but that ties their hands quite a bit. They can't include anything radically new that wasn't around in vanilla EQ or they'd have to use lots of space magic to remove all the ruins and evidence that those things ever existed.

Anyway, if you don't see it that way I'll just agree to disagree. Rebooting, IMO, was their best-of-the-worst options as far as lore goes.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EQ had lore but no real story until luclin. We killed alot of people but really had little reason to do it beyond loots. I guess you could argue velious kinda had a story but I dunno if arbitrarily picking a side and killing everyone else and then doing something profoundly stupid like freeing the sleeper qualifies as a story. And like half the people we killed didnt end up dead in the cannon anyway.

The luclin story was good but the delivery was terrible because most people prolly had no idea what was going on. If you did then the whole shissar creating a god and evil shadow men storyline + a side of an insane cat hero was decent.

Then shit went off the rails. PoP story was retarded, sorry, time travel and a whole bunch of bullshit and no one you kill dies and then its all reversed is the mmo equivalent of the booking ending with the line "and then he woke up"

Shit stayed off the rails for like 4 years until the whole mayong story started and that was pretty good for like 5 expacs. But none of that storyline is even cannon for EQ2 so who decides what stays and what goes.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Not going to write it off until I see any amount of any actual thing on EQN (not Landmark), but my hype has definitely went flat as can be. Let me preface this with "yeah fucker I know I should have reservations" but I've pretty much transferred all of my hype over to whatever Brad's got going.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Not only zero fucks about EQN, but given the new WoW facial expression bullshit there's now negative fucks given in that direction as well. The infection is spreading.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I feel like Landmark is something for them to put out because SOE knows EQN is like three years away and Blizzard is going to steamroll everyone with Titan. Landmark gets to make some money before EQN launches beside Titan and tries to scoop up scraps. I'm speaking purely about commercial success considering we know absolutely nothing about Titan. That's why putting out something like a proper, hardcore EQ3 wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Cater to your niche -- that shit could have been on the market already building up a following. On the grand stage, it's hard to imagine Blizzard not shitting on everyone.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
zero fucks given about this game anymore.

feels good, man.
Following now only for comedic effect. Just to see how far that can twist EQ into something that makes Episode I and Jar Jar/midichlorians seem reasonable in comparison for the Star Wars canon.

Currently we have buff/fit Troll/Ogre Ninja Paladins with guns and Disney Avatar friendly, doe-eyed dark elves.

Cannot wait to see how far down the stupid train they take this thing.

Caliane

I feel like Landmark is something for them to put out because SOE knows EQN is like three years away and Blizzard is going to steamroll everyone with Titan. Landmark gets to make some money before EQN launches beside Titan and tries to scoop up scraps. I'm speaking purely about commercial success considering we know absolutely nothing about Titan. That's why putting out something like a proper, hardcore EQ3 wouldn't have been such a bad idea. Cater to your niche -- that shit could have been on the market already building up a following. On the grand stage, it's hard to imagine Blizzard not shitting on everyone.
Given the visual update in wow. I can see why Titan was canned. there is no need for it. Sticking with WoW is fine. hell they are adding player housing finally.

that and hearthstone, sc, diablo, heroes, etc.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Given the visual update in wow. I can see why Titan was canned. there is no need for it. Sticking with WoW is fine. hell they are adding player housing finally.
It's still in development. I also don't buy the rumor that it was scrapped after a Blizzard exec saw EQN because frankly, that sounds laughable (especially since it was based on the EQN presentation we all saw eventually). I think Blizzard wasn't happy with what they were creating andbecauseWoW losing subs still kills all other MMOs and Diablo 3 can still sell through more than 10 million units despite a myriad of complaints, they can afford to say "fuck this, back to the drawing board" for the next 10 years. Titan is still a thing and there are still a small number of people working on it.