EQ Never

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Would you support phasing in a MMO if there were mechanisms in place to allow players in different phases of quest to still group up,physically be able to see one another, and help each other out completing the quest? For example, if a higher level person has already completed the quest, they can go back and help friends complete the quest.
I think that phasing in the way it is used in TESO and SWTOR should be out. Phasing in say, World of Warcraft (Like setting up bases for small wars and those areas are meant for solo content) which then opens up the main area all players will see, should be how it is used. And used sparingly.

The need for phasing here in EQN won't exist. The world will be changing because of the players.

Phasing is a term that keeps getting redefined. SWTOR's phasing was never a phase. It was a mini flagged instance. TESO's phasing was game breaking because they used it too much in the open world (in my opinion) Phasing should be defined as Blizzard initially did it and then left alone after. That being major plot story events that change the landscape and, again, used sparingly.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Would you support phasing in a MMO if there were mechanisms in place to allow players in different phases of quest to still group up,physically be able to see one another, and help each other out completing the quest? For example, if a higher level person has already completed the quest, they can go back and help friends complete the quest.
I absolutely think phasing is for lazy developers. If you need to use phasing, your world is way too small.

It completely kills communities. It completely kills item value and economies. There is absolutely no place for it in an MMO.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I absolutely think phasing is for lazy developers. If you need to use phasing, your world is way too small.

It completely kills communities. It completely kills item value and economies. There is absolutely no place for it in an MMO.
I dont know about that - phasing, if used properly, is a fucking great way to tell a story in a theme park MMO. Hell, even if Voxels were main stream - phasing would still be useful in telling a story. I want to see the world change with the story, permanently. I havent once ran into phasing in any game that has given the player the control that Rescorla is talking about - but I believe if it was used in that way that we would see a return of epic events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj or the Awakening of the Sleeper. Shit that developers dont want to invest in anymore because only a fraction of the player base will ever see it. Where with phasing, each player has an opportunity to see and be a part of every major server event.

Vitality

HUSTLE
Let's be real here Draco, even WoW (the god of theme parks) is shying away from adding more on-rails content in its next xpack. Theme Parks are cheap IP cash-outs. Atleast in my opinion. Sure SWTOR captivated me with its single player experience, but as soon as I finished it and cleared all the non-bugged raid content I uninstalled.

The further this genre distances itself from Theme Park features the more money I'll put into it.

Edit: I'm not an equal opportunity gamer. I believe in being better than others. No one will know I'm better than them if they're stuck in phases for the majority of the game.

Those who advocate an mmo world to cater to the singleplayer playstyle are the sole reason this genre is not massively multiplayer anymore.

Daidraco

Edit: I'm not an equal opportunity gamer. I believe in being better than others. No one will know I'm better than them if they're stuck in phases for the majority of the game.
rrr_img_73537.jpg

Vitality

HUSTLE
+nets for cute dog.

Anyways, I realize that viewpoint is over the top, what I'm trying to get across is that Singleplayer content in MMO's is just a distraction. To defer your attention from the fact that the game doesn't have any real long term playability with friends. Basically the same as strapping a chat-box onto Morrowind.

The sleeper event or AQ event wouldn't be a memorable experience if everyone did it via phasing. In fact it would just feel cheap and worthless. Much like the appearance of dragons in GW2 or the way they phased the cataclysm content.

SOE has done a pretty bang up job with PS2 in creating that Massive feel. I really hope they take what they've learned there and apply it to EQN.

As I've said before, player created content is a great hook, player interaction with the world is a great hook. If they let players create player/world interactable content in EQN. I'll be hooked.

Give me the ability to setup an open world arena with a betting vendor and leaderboard and I'll name my first born after you.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I dont know about that - phasing, if used properly, is a fucking great way to tell a story in a theme park MMO. Hell, even if Voxels were main stream - phasing would still be useful in telling a story. I want to see the world change with the story, permanently. I havent once ran into phasing in any game that has given the player the control that Rescorla is talking about - but I believe if it was used in that way that we would see a return of epic events like the Opening of Ahn'Qiraj or the Awakening of the Sleeper. Shit that developers dont want to invest in anymore because only a fraction of the player base will ever see it. Where with phasing, each player has an opportunity to see and be a part of every major server event.
Trouble is its not really a major server event if its just something you do off in your little phase. People remember AQ gates because it took a ton of effort and only happened once, same reason people remember the sleeper. The players aren't stupid, they know its not really special when they do the phased quest chain to save the kingdom that its just BS, thats why blizz turns to so many comedy quests, cause they know the story of you being the hero isn't actually compelling.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord

Are you confusing phasing with instancing? They are two different technologies.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
The type of phasing I was describing was recently implemented in TESO. I tested it last night and confirmed it was working. There was a lot of criticism at TESO's launch with how ZOS implemented phasing. All of those complaints have been addressed. Now that phasing technology has been improved to remove the reasons people disliked it, I don't see any reason for future MMOs to not use it extensively.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This thread is starting to make me wish ESO was more successful...

I'm expecting them to be much farther along on EQN than a lot of people here. Like pretty much ready for Alpha done.

Vitality

HUSTLE
You claimed phasing had an impact on item values and the economy. That makes no sense whatsoever so your definition of what constitutes "phasing" sounds like its different than what everyone else is using.
You obviously haven't played a game with phase jumping to reset rare spawns I take it. Which is an expected let-down considering how hard you're pushing ESO. I broke the hell out of ESO with phase triggers in parties. As did many others. An example would be the level 33 werewolf cave.

I've phase locked an area in WoW that would spawn easy to AE waves of mobs.

I've gotten unique cross-realm phases of areas fairly easily, used them to infinitely harvest mining nodes, then swapped back to my home-phase and put them on the market at a substantial mark-up.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Please don't compel Rescorla to shit up this thread with incomprehensible defences of TESO's poor mechanics.

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Are you confusing phasing with instancing? They are two different technologies.
Nice try.
You obviously haven't played a game with phase jumping to reset rare spawns I take it. Which is an expected let-down considering how hard you're pushing ESO. I broke the hell out of ESO with phase triggers in parties. As did many others. An example would be the level 33 werewolf cave.

I've phase locked an area in WoW that would spawn easy to AE waves of mobs.

I've gotten unique cross-realm phases of areas fairly easily, used them to infinitely harvest mining nodes, then swapped back to my home-phase and put them on the market at a substantial mark-up.
You got me there. I don't exploit game mechanics to increase my gold intake.

Vitality

HUSTLE
You got me there. I don't exploit game mechanics to increase my gold intake.
I'm a piece of shit, I get it, to get back on topic: I sincerely hope EQN doesn't let pieces of shit like me bust their game with phase abuse.

And as I've said prior to these statements: I certainly hope the EQN devs pick up some tid-bits from the PS2 team on world creation, they are after-all using the same engine.

Daidraco

There are a surprising number of people here that use bots and abuse game systems. Taking advantage of poorly implemented game mechanic is pretty basic in the grand scheme of things.

Fingz_sl

shitlord
Story Bricks sound like they will be impossible to secure. Some player will figure out how to exploit them and Story Bricks will be nerfed.